Help with setting up Mini vMac!

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JesseTV
Space Cadet

Help with setting up Mini vMac!

Post by JesseTV »

I'm trying to set up Mini vMac, but I can't get the SIT file of StuffIt Mac to expand. Here is the error message:

Unknown archive format
Archive: (shows location of SIT file)
Engine Error: Unknown format

If I can't expand the file, I can't use StuffIt on Mini vMac, and I can't do what I want with it!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

How are you trying to Unstuff it?

This archive works really well for me:

http://www.emaculation.com/minivmac/stu ... der_40.bin

Can you expand that?
JesseTV
Space Cadet

Post by JesseTV »

Nope. Same error message. I can Unstuff all the other files so far, but not this one.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Are you using Windows or Mac OS X?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Either way: how about trying this special tool...

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/extras/binunpk.html
JesseTV
Space Cadet

Post by JesseTV »

Windows XP.

Ok, I managed to get it to ask me for a binary file, but now what do I give it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

stuffit_expander_40.bin is a MacBinary file (with .bin extension).
JesseTV
Space Cadet

Post by JesseTV »

Tried giving it the .bin file after loading up the binary reader thing. All it does is ask me if I want to Eject or Initialize, like any other time I drag any incompatible software into it.

Also, if anyone knows a standalone version of Bug Hunt, I could drop Mini vMac altogether. That's really what I'm aiming for.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

JesseTV wrote:Tried giving it the .bin file after loading up the binary reader thing. All it does is ask me if I want to Eject or Initialize, like any other time I drag any incompatible software into it.
Are you dragging the . bin file into the Mini vMac window? You can only do that with disk images that can be mounted in Mini vMac. The stuffit_expander_40.bin file should be added to one of the disk images that you mount in Mini vMac. You can use the System volume or the binUnpk volume. (The binUnpk volume has 600K space left while stuffit_expander_40.bin is only 200K.) Then, in Mini vMac, launch binUnpk application and when it tells you that it is ready to receive a binary file, choose Open from its File menu, browse to the .bin file, select and open that file, browse to the location where you want to save the Stuffit Expander 401 installer and click Save.

If you are using Mini vMac in Windows, you will need HFV Explorer to copy the stuffit_expander_40.bin file into one of the disk images.
JesseTV
Space Cadet

Post by JesseTV »

Ok, I managed to get this to work. This was a mistake on my part, I failed to realize that I needed the .bin file, unexpanded, not whatever it expanded into. I got it to install the normal way that the guide on this site directs.