Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 in Mini vMac

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

runtome
Space Cadet

Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 in Mini vMac

Post by runtome »

I've learned from the topic "Getting HyperCard installed in vMac using OS 7.5.3" that Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 will not archive files stuffed with version 5 or higher. That I can live with because I know I can't surpass System 7 on the Mac Plus; it's just frustrating when I want to use all the great software out there that seems to be stuffed w/ a higher version. :cry: Anyway...My question is does anybody now of or have or able to upload an usable version I can install on vMac? I already have a .sit version from http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/dev ... /hypercard; but it doesn't unstuff. Please help.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yeah. That's a pain in the butt. That has been a big problem on Macintosh Garden for a long time.

You can, of course, work around the problem by setting up Basilisk II and using that to expand the archives.

Is HyperCard reader all you need? If so, I can look around for a version of that which I can put on a hard disk image that is ready-to-use. We're allowed to distribute the reader (I think), but distributing the development tools is still not allowed.

This problem is the reason I built System 6 Hell:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/system_6_hell

It includes disk images that have games and apps that are already expanded and ready for use.
runtome
Space Cadet

Post by runtome »

@clockwise
I would like the original HyperCard, already have the player...it's too limiting because I want to learn HyperCard. I guess I could work with Basilisk but that sounds like too much of a pain right now. Your System 6 Hell page is fantastic! Have you tried this one:

www1.linkclub.or.jp/~kenfuji/Others%20Library.htm?

Great stuff there also w/ self extracting files too!!
Last edited by runtome on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Well I guess I cannot help you. I cannot really upload a disk image containing the expanded files because that's sort of against the law.

BUT I imagine that if you ask on Macintosh Garden then someone will change the archive there to something you can work with.
runtome
Space Cadet

Post by runtome »

@clockwise
Yeah, didn't think so; but, I'll take your advice and try it out and see.

Thanks for the FAST responses! Very impressed. :!:
prowler
Tinkerer

Re: Stuffit Expander 4.0.1 in Mini vMac

Post by prowler »

runtome wrote:My question is does anybody now of or have or able to upload an usable version I can install on vMac? I already have a .sit version from http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/dev ... /hypercard; but it doesn't unstuff. Please help.
Hi runtome,
Which archive is it, exactly, you want expanded and imaged? :wink:
runtome
Space Cadet

Post by runtome »

@prowler
The HyperCard 1.2.5 archive @

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/apps/hypercard-125.

Have any advice?

P.S. I am using the Mini vMac emulator for the Mac Plus environment.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Basically, if you need Stuffit 5 to expand the file but you've only got Mini vMac, then you are screwed. You'll have to get someone to send you a disk image containing the expanded file or set up Basilisk II and do it yourself. No working around that. :(