Cannot open my childhood game :(

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Yoad
Space Cadet

Cannot open my childhood game :(

Post by Yoad »

Hi.

I wanted to play the 1984 game Enchanted Scepters.
I setup a working Mini vMac emulator with Stufflt Expander 4.01 and ImportFl on a disk with enough space.
Downloaded the Enchanted Scepters .SIT file to my Windows computer.
Tried the following:

On Stufflt ver. 9 for windows, In Options -> Cross Platform changed Resource fork output to MacBinary format.
Then I expand the .SIT file and received a ~800KB .IMG file.
Tried to open this disk image on Mini vMac but it could not be done because I need to "UNLOCK" the disk.
Copied the file to Mini vMac using ImportFl, But do not know what to do with it now. It is not an application and I cannot open it.

Copied the .SIT file using ImportFl to the Mini vMac disk.
Tried to expand it using the local Stufflt Expander but it could not locate the file. I am looking in the correct directory but it seems like it is empty.
Even tried to press the CTRL key before choosing to expand because I read that I could expand a whole library this way but was unable to do it.

I am new to this and would really appreciate some help.

Thanks!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Cannot open my childhood game :(

Post by adespoton »

Which OS version are you running in Mini vMac? Or are you attempting to boot off the Enchanted Sceptres disk?

Also, I think most of your issues are addressed here: http://www.gryphel.com/c/image/

Mini vMac by default treats Disk Copy images as write protected, and a bootable system requires a writeable disk image. So you'll either need to convert your disk image or copy everything to a dsk-style image with no Disk Copy header on it.

Or, use a copy of Mini vMac that doesn't lock Disk Copy images by default (it's a compile-time setting).
Yoad
Space Cadet

Post by Yoad »

Thank you for your answer.
ver. 3.4.1 -wx86
I am not attempting to do anything but open the application inside the disk image and run it. Should I attempt to boot off the disk?
I read about images in the link you sent but the only thing I could think of was maybe to use Stufflt ver 7 because the MacBinary format is not working on ver 9.

Is there no way to extract the browse the image file and extract the executable file?

BTW, The game file I am using can be found here:http://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macint ... s.img_.sit

Thank you very much!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah; try copying the application off the disk onto your boot disk. That should fix the "disk locked" issue.

Macbinary should be a non-issue.

As that link stated, you can browse the disk image using HFV Explorer on Windows. But you'll need to use either it or Mini vMac to copy the contents of the disk to a writeable disk before using the application.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just added a zip file of a read/write disk image at the page at Macintoshgarden to save you some hassle with it.
The zip was done with macOS, so it shows some peculiarities when expanded in Windows.
The resulting IMG should mount in MiniVMac without issues.

If you come across such images again, best create a new unlocked disk image with DisCopy 6 in Basilisk II or SheepShaver,
done in an instant if the emulator is already set up.
Yoad
Space Cadet

Post by Yoad »

The .zip works :) :) :)

Thank you both very much !
gryphel
Nice Guy

Post by gryphel »

For future reference, here is one way this could have been done in Mini vMac:

* Launch Mini vMac, drag in a bootable disk image, such as Sys6Util.dsk.
* Drag in a blank disk image, the 5M one is fine. (The emulated disk "Untitled" should show up in Mini vMac.)
* Run ImportFl, drag "Enchanted_Scepters.img_.sit" to the Mini vMac window, and save it to the "Untitled" disk. Quit ImportFl.
* Run Stuffit Expander 4.0.1.
* Hold down the emulated command key (in the Mini vMac for Windows, this is usually the alt key, not the control key.
* Select Expand from the File menu, then let go of the command key.
* Switch to the "Untitled" disk, and press the "select untitled" button.
* Quit Stuffit Expander
* Run ExportFl, export "Enchanted Scepters.img", and quit.
* Run CnvtDC42l, drag in "Enchanted Scepters.img", save the results as "Enchanted Scepters.dsk", and quit.
* Drag in "Enchanted Scepters.dsk".
* The emulated disk "Enchanted Scepters" should show up in Mini vMac, and you can run the game.

Things would have been simpler if the boot disk was System 7. The "Enchanted Scepters" image apparently doesn't have a desktop file that works for System 6, and the Finder can't create one if the disk is locked. Also in System 7, you can just drag a file onto StuffIt Expander, regardless of type.

Anyway, zipped disk images, such as 24bit created, are easier for emulator users to deal with.

By the way, early Macintosh system software can usually boot from a locked disk. Which is useful, I have many utility disk images that I keep locked so that it is easy to make sure they never get corrupted.