Opening and saving files for Photoshop 0.63

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Opening and saving files for Photoshop 0.63

Post by GarkGarcia »

Hey guys, I'm trying to work with Photoshop 0.63 on System6. I'd like to open a certain set of png and jpg files for a demonstration, but this version of Photoshop does not open this particular file extensions (I believe they didn't even exist). For opening those images (the png and jpeg files) I need to convert then to a file extension feature in the softwear (PICT files; PICT resources; Amiga IFF/ILBM; Compuserve GIF; MacPaint; Thunderscan; TIFF; PIXAR; Pixelpaint).
Does anybody has any idea on how to do so? I already tryed a basic conversion from jep to tiff using Photoshop CC2017, but the softwear could not open it. I also tryed opening a macp file (wich was draw and saved from the original MacPaint) but it dind work, wich I find very strange. It might also have to do with the fact it is actually a Demo version or something like that. Dunno, holpe somebody can help. ^.^
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Opening and saving files for Photoshop 0.63

Post by Jorpho »

TIFF has undergone a lot of revisions over the years and it's possible that a TIFF created with modern software will be incompatible with such an old program. PICT can also be tricky since PICT files use a resource fork – if you are trying to somehow copy a PICT file from a Windows machine, the resource fork data might be lost.

IFF and GIF would probably be your best bet. But even then, if you are copying them from a Windows machine, you might have to edit the Type/Creator codes before Photoshop will recognize them.
GarkGarcia
Student Driver

Post by GarkGarcia »

Thanks! The gif files don't work for some reason, but the iffs do (if you open it with the option Open as: Amiga IFF)! Yes, I'm using a windows machine. Don't really know if thats the best method, but it imported it using ImporFl...
Thanks a lot man!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Each TIFF version is precisely noted in the export options; you won't go wrong if you save as uncompressed TIFF 3.0. "Baseline TIFF" or TIFF 6.0 may also work, but it's not guaranteed.

Your best bet for opening them back then is Aldus SuperPaint, as Aldus created the TIFF specification in the first place.