Basilisk II and Mac CDs

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Xanthrax

Basilisk II and Mac CDs

Post by Xanthrax »

Hey,

Do you have this problem?

When I mount a Mac CD, BII doesn't recognise it. It want to format a new volume. Obviously, I copy the cdrom.sys in %system%\System32\Drivers. If I start BII with a Mac CD in the CD-Rom, It will be mounted, but if I change the CD, with other Mac CD, the problem occures again.
I have BII with MacOS 8.1, on Windows XP machine.
Other problem is BII don't suports MacOS restart. Only I must finish the session and start it again. Have you these problems?
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

Did you burn the mac HDF as an ISO image using HFS as the filesystem? If you did not then that explains why the burnt hard drive image isn't working in BII.
M*K
Student Driver

restart

Post by M*K »

I have also some problems with restarting (under MacOS8.1)

I have come around a very strange "trick" you may try :
I simply press the shift key while booting. It does not disable extensions and allow OS8.1 to boot. :!:
When I first install 8.1, I was not able to boot without it. But now, it works every time. It even disable extensions sometime :lol:

Another idea :
maybe a pram problem ? try to move out the file from your basilisk II folder and try again (you can replace later it if it don't works)

I suggest this trick because I've reinstalled my system (win2k) and Basilisk II, only keeping the disk files. So PRAM and preferences were lost.

Hope it will help.
Y.E.
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

There's an option in BII that says something like "Automatically restart" or "always restart" on one of the tabs. That lets you restart the OS by hitting special, then restart.
M*K
Student Driver

Post by M*K »

About what rob_squared says :
I think that this option ("automatically restart the gui" and the other in the menu) apply to the Basilisk II GUI and not to the OS.

I explain : if you set "automatically restart the gui", then you launch the GUI, you click start, the GUI close and Basilisk II is launched, and when you quit BII (with shutdown in MacOS), the GUI is automatically restarted.
It's very useful to change a parameter (for example : color number or resolution, as BII don't allow on-the-fly resolution switching), then restart the emulator.