Can PearPC read DMG images?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Peter123456789
Student Driver

Can PearPC read DMG images?

Post by Peter123456789 »

Can PearPC read DMG images? Is it possible to install Mac os X from a dmg file?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Yes. Most DMG files are just plain ISO images. I say 'most' because there is also a compressed variant that can only be accessed within Mac OS, ie. they can not be used to boot PearPC.

Compressed DMG still have the .dmg extension but are considerable smaller (compression ratio is equivalent to ZIP).

--kybernaut
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

It was my understanding that all DMG files were only accessable under the Mac OS, while IMG files were the one that were relatives of the ISO.

I have a mind to erase all the threads about DMG and post a general notice about it.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Jackalo wrote:It was my understanding that all DMG files were only accessable under the Mac OS, while IMG files were the one that were relatives of the ISO.
I cannot confirm this from my experience. Most DMGs can be renamed to ISO and work then. The reason why certain Toast (and DMG?) images where un-bootable had other reasons, as Seppel said here in another thread.

--kybernaut
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well PearPC Can't read MacOSX 10.3.4 update .dmg...File if I mount it as a CD-ROM
huntedsnake
Inquisitive Elf

Post by huntedsnake »

prasys wrote:Well PearPC Can't read MacOSX 10.3.4 update .dmg...File if I mount it as a CD-ROM
Use the TransMac utility to copy the ".dmg" file directly to your PearPC harddisk file (.img). This is how i install all the .dmg files without any problems.
Peter123456789
Student Driver

Post by Peter123456789 »

Should I copy the dmg file into 3GB img?
(I tried to copy files from dmg file to hard disk and then from hard disk to img file, but PearPC did not boot.)
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

prasys wrote:Well PearPC Can't read MacOSX 10.3.4 update .dmg...File if I mount it as a CD-ROM
It's a compressed DMG. You need to bring the whole file into Mac OS and mount it there.

--kybernaut
Last edited by kybernaut on Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Peter123456789 wrote:Should I copy the dmg file into 3GB img?
(I tried to copy files from dmg file to hard disk and then from hard disk to img file, but PearPC did not boot.)
Are you talking about the install CD images? In this case rename to ISO and boot. Don't extract and copy files to another image. You need the boot information on the original image.

-kybernaut
Peter123456789
Student Driver

Post by Peter123456789 »

I have a dmg image (of Mac OS X). I can see files inside when I use transmac. PearPC does not recognize this file as a bootable partition. It is listed as unbootable partition. Can I force PearPC to boot this dmg file?

Maybe this dmg file isn't bootable?! Renameing it to *.iso will not help here. :cry:
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

If you actually own MacOS X and a Mac, you should have no problem in making an ISO. Hell, if you just own MacOS X you should have no problem in making an ISO or IMG.

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing all these people asking how to use DMG copies of MacOS X with PearPC, as they obviously have pirated copies, otherwise they would've ripped a copy in a usable format.

And the saddest part? If they looked slightly harder, they'd find Disk Images with MacOS X preinstalled on different file sharing networks, and then we wouldn't even be in this position in the first place.

I'm about to snap, CW...
Peter123456789
Student Driver

Post by Peter123456789 »

Dear Jackalo (Admin),

I will not buy original Mac OS X until I see that PearPC can run it on my computer. The system is really expensive... Please look at the Apple website. It is just the waste of money to buy Mac OS X nowdays. PearPC is in experimental stage - it even don't support sound. It is so slow that practically unusable. Until PearPC develop into powerful emulator, buying an original CD's can be compared to throwing money into a fire. I would like to exchange my money for something that will work. For example I can buy full version of Windows - It will work for 100% and I have guaranty.
You need to know that emulation of Mac OS on PC is illegal:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.
Even running system 7.5.5 (which is available at Apple site) is ilegall.
I hope that you will understand my point of view.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

I don't understand your point of view at all.
I have a Mac with "softwindows" the first emulator for win on the Mac.
I cannot use it anylonger or the next version that I have, win 3.1 and 95.
are both useless on my mac now.
But I did buy them, and I did support the developement.
in fact I baought all the upgrades to the mac to os8.6
I didn't get 9.2 until I bought the G5, but hmm up to 10.3.4 and my other versions are not useable (10.0, .1, .3 etc.) I still spent the money.
I have even bought programs for win and mac machines that I know I don't use and threw the money away. Hmmm I still don't see your point.

If PearPC said you had to get a "speacial" version of a ppc os, that was written to only work with PearPC then I would see the point, but a Os that you buy in the store straight out of the box, well I think that is great.

One thing you don't mention is that you can buy any program from any store and there is no requirment to have a computer at all.

So my advice is go onto ebay and buy a real version of 10.1, or 10.2 and use that for your PearPC.

then if you have trouble it will not be for lack of the right program.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Peter123456789; Not once did I hear you deny the version of MacOSX you had was illeagle yourself. and this is the way this works and I will say this once on this post and then I will take action...

Will PearPC read .dmg files.

Yes it will that is a mountable file in MacOSX I know that (I believe) is the file format that MSN Messenger for mac comes it. So yes it will...

Will it install from a .dmg file. I dunno however if the only way you can get a Mac OSX disc set is in a .dmg extention from a P2P network or File Share or Bittorrent site or anyway as such and you mention this on your post I will delete the entire Topic, not your reply or anyone elses. The entire kit and kaboodle.

If your issue is that you don't want to buy a version of OSX because you don't think it is worth it that is your opinion. But instead of comprimising this site and yourself please keep in mind that Apple is a company with a product. That product has people that use it. These people are fanatics. If this program (PearPC, which is free) isn't worth you spending the $125 or whatever for OSX then why are you here? Why are any of us on this site? Why are people working on this and why has it generated such hype in the media?

Hopefully you will not see this as an attack on yourself or a overwhelming show of "power" (yeah right) but as a statement that needs to be covered. Thanks for posting an please continue to visit the site.-Cybermagellan
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Back to the DMG topic for a moment:

I guess I contributed to some confusions... After running some tests I found the DMG format to be more inconsistent than I thought.

It is still true that an un-compressed DMG can be a perfect ISO clone. BUT that seems not to hold true when a boot record is involved. On my real Mac, I made some DMGs from 10.1 and 10.2 install media and tried to boot PearPC from them. Although PearPC listed them as a bootable partition, it got stuck with a JITC exception error after the grey apple appeared. Also Nero reported a block mismatch when trying to burn as ISO.

However, I remember clearly that I burnt OS X CDs with Nero from DMG images that WERE able to boot a real Mac (and didn't have block mismatch). Generally, I'm burning a lot of DMG and Toast images on the PC because I don't have a burner in the Mac... So something is a bit blurry here 8O

--kybernaut

[Edited for clarity]
Last edited by kybernaut on Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Would it be something along the lines of the actual mac burning the CD with the bootsector as in a no crap sequence. What I mean is does it require the same info as a Windows computer to read the iso? If not then beats me... What I mean by this is...in rough graphical terms...

A Mac CD in a Mac computer...

1->5->6->7->8->9->10

^ sectors of course

A Mac CD in a Windows Computer...

1->2->3->4->5->6->7->8->9->10

just an idea...
Peter123456789
Student Driver

Post by Peter123456789 »

Maybe you are right... I should go to Apple site and buy Mac OS X (for 125$ :cry: ). Perhaps than I can make an iso that will work. DMG format is evil :evil: !

:wink: But, anyway emulating macintosh is ILLEGAL!!!
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

well peter1-9 I think you need to understand a few things before you say something is illegal.

if you buy something and own it or the "rights " to it, then it is up to you to do as you wish.

in this case you could legally build a MAC computer from scratch and run any program you want, and as long as you don't build one for someone else or sell the one you made then you have not broken any law because you own the "rights" to the parts you bought.

so to build an emulator to run any program you want is also ok, the stcky part is sharing it with someone else. but since the emulator is not to emulate an OS but rather a CPU then it is like building your own ppc cpu computer you are not MAKING a cpu but making something behave the same way. you can now write programs that will work on ppc cpu computers. it just so happens that the Mac OS can be installed on your computer now.

if you go to the store and buy the program mac osx then you can do as you wish with it, as long as you don't make copies and sell/give them away. you own the "rights" to that package.

I consider it a retrofit, much the same way as if you go and buy a new radio for your car and install it. not sure if the car makers want you to do that. there is probably something that makes that illegal too.
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

Here, I've written a converter. It's in perl, so it's platform-independent :)
http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

dmg is just an iso compressed (not in a standard way tho) with z-lib (usually).
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

If someone runs this and is able to get this to work please let me know...
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

vu1tur wrote:Here, I've written a converter. It's in perl, so it's platform-independent :)
http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/
Great!

I always wanted to have such an app, and nobody wrote it to date. I ran a few tests and your dmg2iso seems to work just fine. This is what I did (maybe useful information for you):

1) Made an uncompressed dmg from 10.1 Install CD (under 10.3.4) --> converted with dmg2iso 0.2a, PPC was able to boot, Isobuster and Nero accepted the file as valid.

2) Made a compressed DMG from 10.2 install CD --> converted with dmg2iso, PPC was able to boot but, after a few lines in darwin, hung (most likely PPC's fault because I could boot my Mac from it after burning to CD), Nero and Isobuster accepted the file as valid.

3) Made a compressed DMG from a Mac/PC Hybrid CD (Application CD w/o boot sector) --> converted with dmg2iso, Isobuster accepted (and listed the Mac and PC part of the image) Nero reported a block size conflict (not sure what settings to chose here...) but Alcohol 120% accepted the file and burned it to CD. The CD worked ok on both PC and Mac.

4) I will test the 10.3 Install CDs later (don't have them here ATM... borrowed them to a friend).

thanks again and BTW: Welcome to the forums :D

--kybernaut
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

This is what I did (maybe useful information for you)
Yes, thanks. Although, the best test would be making iso from dmg by hdiutil and dmg2iso and comparing both files. I did that with 10.4.3 install disk and a bunch of small apps. Usually the isos are absolutely the same, except for few images — the ones done with dmg2iso were a bit larger (filled with zeros at the end of the file). Probably iso images should be aligned by 4k, but it worked anyway, so it's not really important (but if anyone runs into probs here, let me know).
and BTW: Welcome to the forums
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

vu1tur wrote:Although, the best test would be making iso from dmg by hdiutil and dmg2iso and comparing both files.
Speaking of which... The 10.3 betas that appeared before the final 10.3 was in the shops, refused to boot after converting from DMG to ISO in OS X. They had to be burnt from the Finder, ie. Disc Burner. But this is the only exception I know of.

I suppose that using hdutil from the command line is the same than using the 'Harddisk Utility' GUI app and converting to CD/DVD Master?!
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

kybernaut wrote: Speaking of which... The 10.3 betas that appeared before the final 10.3 was in the shops, refused to boot after converting from DMG to ISO in OS X. They had to be burnt from the Finder, ie. Disc Burner. But this is the only exception I know of.
hm... you mean it doesn't boot if converting with dmg2iso, and does boot if converting in MacOSX ?
I suppose that using hdutil from the command line is the same than using the 'Harddisk Utility' GUI app and converting to CD/DVD Master?!
probably so, don't know.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

^^
Post number 11,000