advatages of mac emulation?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

advatages of mac emulation?

Post by Guest »

so..umm..if your a win user and you use mac emulation, what are the advatages over most win users? for instance, what really good progs are there on the mac (that can be emulated) but is not on win.

-manga_man
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Escape Velocity.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The Mac OS. GraphicConvertor. Free Corel WordPerfect 3.5e. Maelstrom. Scrapbook Pro. And many, many others including Mac-only GUI enhancements.

I can also network with my Apple PowerBook to share files between it and Basilisk II.

A few of us actually own a 68k Mac and have bought commercial 68k Mac software in the past. Thus instead of spending $1880+ on the latest and greatest Mathematica 4.2 for Windows, I use the Mathematica 3 for Mac I bought a number of years ago which pretty much does the same thing.

If I spent more time on this post, I could list many more Mac-only programs I like. Visit the freeware/shareware section of my website for more examples.

http://run.to/mes

yeah...

Post by Guest »

that's all very fine and dandy, but those apps/games you mentioned aren't all that great. take maelstorm for instance, it maybe a good game, better there are better asteroids clones on win (like Comet Busters). i would really like to know some major good points (if they arnt 'all that' then my older bro will delelte basilisk II & MacOS 8.1 roms in protest). Please help. Cheers :D

-manga_man
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

The fact is, 68k software is OLD. There has been a lot of progress in creating better PPC apps/games, but 68k software is behind the times. Most will argue that even the newest PPC software sucks compared to the newest Windows software. Mac OS X may be an exception.

You either like the older Mac OSes and 68k programs/games or you don't. I prefer Windows myself, but I'm maybe a 75% Windows, 20% Mac, 5% Linux guy.

Escape Velocity Nova has brought many Windows users into 68k Mac emulation just so they can run that game on a PC.

Basilisk II, as mentioned in my previous post, is also good for cross platform sharing and work for when you have a real Mac (which you should if using a Mac ROM in the first place) or have to do something using a Mac instead of a PC (like one friend of mine who uses Mac emulators for creating articles for his newspaper as they use Macs and need his work done in Mac-format).

Since you don't seem to have much Macintosh background, you probably don't have a good reason to use one. It's mainly a hobby for those of us who grew up using a Mac and now have powerful PCs that can emulate the Mac stuff we used many years ago.

right....

Post by Guest »

Escape Velocity doesn't even work for me, I get some monitor tool error. What's up wid that shit? :?

-manga_man
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

That's because you are not using Basilisk II build 143 for Windows or the latest Basilisk II Linux versions.

Download build 143 from this site: http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

Then read the build143_evn.txt file included in the zip.

fdgsdf

Post by Guest »

thanks, i'll try it. if it dont work, i'll give a shout

dudaahh

Post by Guest »

nope, dont work. i get some monitor tool error (or something like that).
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Oops, I thought you meant Escape Velocity Nova.

Here's the solution to your problem: In the BasiliskIIGUI's Screen tab, select WindowsGDI and 256 colors.

I recommend going back to using the BasiliskII.exe that's in build 142. Build 143 is buggy and only used to play Escape Velocity Nova.

k

Post by Guest »

k, thanks. but now i have to download build 142 all over again