SheepShaver is building on OSX

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Grobedo

SheepShaver is building on OSX

Post by Grobedo »

I've succefully built SheepShaver on Mac OS X 10.3. I put some screenshot here ( http://www.grobedo.com/sheep/ ) if you wan't check them.
I'm making a little how to if you are interested.
Make me know.
Cat_7
Expert User

osx build

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

I would be interested to see, but your link doesn't work right now.
*** it needs /index.html ***

If you are writing a how to, I would be interested to include it in the SheepShaver Help guide at

http://www.ou.nl/open/hsp/engels/sheeps ... index.html

Best wishes

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

8O

I'm interested. :lol:
Grobedo

Building SheepShaver on OSX

Post by Grobedo »

First, please forgive my poor english.
Here's some info. It worked for me, hope it will help you
I've got a 1 Ghz G4 Powerbook 12', 512 Mo, Superdrive, running Mac OS X 10.3.3

First, you should get Mac rom and Mac OS CD-Rom. You can read Cat_7's Help page for details, it helped me a lot.

Hard stuff begins here.
Use toast or whatever you want to extract Mac OS Cd-rom on your hardrive. It is necessary, since SheepShaver cannot read CD-Rom directly, a least on my powerbook,

You need to install X-Code, on CD 3 of Mac OS X
You should now install an X server, SDL, Gtk, esd. Should work with this packages.
Two X server have been released on OSX. Apple's X server and X-Darwin.
I prefer X-Darwin, but it is question of choise.
Apple's server is on CD of Mac OS X 10.3

A good way too install those libsis to use fink
Check http://fink.sourceforge.net for details.
I recommend upgrading fink from CVS.

Now, get SheepShaver sources from CVS, and build it.
It should compile.
Copy the SheepShaver file in another directory, with the rom file.
In a xterm, run SheepShaver, configure it (see again Cat_7's page for details), start it, and quit it.
Then run it again with the line :
./SheepShaver -cdrom /path/to/your/macos/iso/
You should now be able to install mac os.

Quite long, but fun.
Good luck.
Cat_7
Expert User

SheepShaver on OS X

Post by Cat_7 »

Grobedo,

That's simply wonderfull.....

Thanks,

Cat_7
grobedo
Space Cadet

About SheepShaver on OSX

Post by grobedo »

Forgot to write that i can't get any sound from SheepShaver.
It found esd on configure process, but don't seem to use it.
And SDL seems to not be useful.

You can ask question here if you got problems, if i can answer, i will...
ToeJam

cdrom support

Post by ToeJam »

I actually hacked in native cd support in the source i downloaded.
the gist of it being that I just copied over the sys-darwin.c (or whatever it was) and changed a few things in sys-unix.c in the sheepshaver src folder from the basiliskII/src/MacOSX folder...
I'll see about posting exactly what I did later...
Diffused (Lazy to Login)

Post by Diffused (Lazy to Login) »

When I do the ./autogen.sh script, it says that I have no X11 when I do. I'm using Apples' X11. Anyone know how to make it see my X installation? :(
grobedo
Space Cadet

Post by grobedo »

you MUST install X11 sdk.
Apple's X11 is in 2 packages, one is just X11, the other is the includes files.

Can't remember on witch CD it is, but i think with x-code.
Diffused (LtL)

Post by Diffused (LtL) »

I have the X11 SDK installed though :-/
Diffused (LtL)

Post by Diffused (LtL) »

Diffused (LtL) wrote:I have the X11 SDK installed though :-/
Well, it appears that I didnt after all. I reinstalled all of the Developer tools, now im getting an AM_PATH_GTK error, but I seen that on this site, so ill continue looking.
Diffused Mind
Student Driver

Post by Diffused Mind »

I looked all on the site about the AM_PATH_GTK error and its because of automake, but I installed automake, installed every GTK package, but it still wont compile. Any ideas?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I've used this command in Cygwin on Windows to get past that "error"

export ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal'

You may have to figure out the path on Mac OS X.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, i'll try that. :)

Post by Guest »

Will you port it into Aqua? I mean it can works without x11/X Server/Terminal....etc. such kind of "UNIX-Like" apps

Good Job :D
iindigo
Space Cadet

Post by iindigo »

Hi!

I tried compiling and I'm having trouble.. I've installed all needed software, but it just won't work - here's the error it gives:

Code: Select all

./configure: line 6058: syntax error near unexpected token `1.2.0,'
./configure: line 6058: `  AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.0,'
What's wrong?

Thanks!
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

SheepShaver was already running on MacOS X for many months now. However, it's still suboptimal vs. the Linux version. Something like 50% performance loss.

BTW, I have just fixed "keycodes" handling with the SDL version so that the keyboard is now working correctly, at least on my PBG4 on X.2. I also committed code to handle copy-paste on MacOS X too. Remaining bits are improving graphics performance and implementing SDL/audio.

If someone knows how I can setup an alternate stacks for certain Mach exception handlers, that will greatly help. Thanks. sigaltstack() won't work for anything but BSD signals, but they are dead slow since a lot of machine contexts need to be saved at each exception... Hence the need to go with Mach exceptions, but I have to setup alternate stacks for the handlers.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Howdy!

I've got it installed and running MacOS 8.6 on my WallStreet PowerBook as a guestOS within Panther.

• Networking doesn't appear to be working. Is it known & established that there's no networking as of yet in the OS X port of SheepShaver, or is it me?

• FWIW, I installed VirtualPC 3.0 from CD, upped the SheepShaver RAM to 128 MB, and gave it a launch, but it crashes SheepShaver every time I try it. No huge surprise (VPC won't work in Classic environment either).

• Is it possible to set the video to a res higher than 800 x 600?

It may not be blistering fast but it blows the doors off Basilisk II. (Not having to emulate a foreign processor is a good thing!!)

• It would be useful to be able to mount other .img files as additional drives.

• It would be doubly useful if the "Linux drive" (the shared directory) were modified so as to mount the external OS X filesystem as HFS+ complete with resource forks and whatnot instead of as it is now. Be nice to be able to launch apps that are on the actual host filesystem instead of having to have them all inside the diskimage. I have a sense that this would not be an easy modification, though...
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

* Networking may work with the following tunnel:
<http://chrisp.de/en/projects/tunnel.html>
You will have to edit the tunconfig script to replace iptables commands with ipfw equivalents. I have never tried it myself. The "kernel crashing on module unload" statement scares me. ;-)

* Any MMU dependent application are not expected to work. IIRC, VPC uses host MMU to mimics the x86 one. I have no intention to emulate MMU for address translation. But if you find a program that needs memory protection features... Or better, tell me how does the MacOS API look for that sort of things.

* It's possible to go farther than 800x600, "windowmodes" is a bitmask of the following values:
1: 640x480
2: 800x600
4: 1024x768
8: 1152x900
16: 1280x1024
32: 1600x1200
64: 1152x768
Of course, your screen must be able windows of that size.

* I don't know the format of Apple proprietary .img files.

* I don't remember how resource forks are handled within OSX. ;-) I too have a "MacOS 9" Volume mounted, would be nice to use files from it indeed.
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

"Native" extfs was already working in the OSX port of Basilisk II and it also works in SheepShaver, I will commit the changes to CVS shortly. Caveat: filenames containing non-ASCII characters are not transliterated.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

OK, the screen rez thing was an easy fix. I'm running at 1024 x 768, very nice.
* I don't know the format of Apple proprietary .img files
:?: the disk image of the bootable drive I'm booting from is an .img file. I guess when you're creating the files on a Linux box you use a different extension but it's the same format. The .sheepshaver_prefs file has a single line for path to disk (which is the one it boots from). It would be nice to be able to specify additional disks and have them mount.

Interestingly, I can use MacOS 8.6's own Disk Copy inside the SheepShaver environment to mount disk images (.img files) that are outside of it, accessing them through the "Linux drive" - but only fairly small ones. Seems to work for 10 MB diskimages but not for 500 MB diskimages.
Networking may work with the following tunnel:
<http://chrisp.de/en/projects/tunnel.html>
I went there. I read. I did not understand. If anyone has set up networking on SheepShaver running on MacOS X and is willing to write me some crib notes, I'll be appreciative.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Things that work nicely:

MacOS 8.6 :)

Photoshop 3.0 with Kai's Power Tooks, Eye Candy, Flaming Pear, and SuckingFish filters all functional :)

GraphicConverter 3.4 :)

GraphicConverter effortlessly opens files via the "Linux drive" extfs; Photoshop 3 has to be told what file type to use due to absence of File Type codes. Newer versions of Photoshop would no doubt do better.

PageMill

MacWrite Pro, Nisus Writer (yay!), and Corel WordPerfect 3.5e

FileMaker Pro 6.0

Morph 2.0 launches, haven't tried creating anything with it yet.

Disk Copy :)

--------------

Not Yet:

MacOS 8.1 <-- anyone know of any definitive reason why not? I haven't tried a fresh install, I just made a diskimage out of the 8.1 installed to my PowerBook. It starts to boot then hangs.

VirtualPC, as explained above (thanks, gb!

[/b]
gb
Real Swell Guy!

Post by gb »

You need an OldWorld ROM to boot MacOS 8.1. I never could make it work with NewWorld ROMs.

Is your .img file created from Apple DiskCopy? I never could mount those images under Linux and "file" does not report an HFS image.
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

Can you list some known OldWorld boxes (actual hw) that GetROM or similar utilities will obtain SheepShaver-compatible / MacOS 8.1-compatible ROMs from? I'm pretty sure I've heard that a 7100's ROM won't work, and I just tried my own computer's ROM (a WallStreet PB) and it doesn't like that one either. I have access to some beige G3s, would those be the ones to go after?

re: ".img" files, yeah, Disk Copy ".img" files. I've never had problems using them but then I've not been deploying them under Linux either. They do work fine under the X11 version of Basilisk, built on my Mac with Fink; they do work under the Windows version of Basilisk; they do work under both the Mac-native and the Windows version of vMac; and now they are working fine with the OSX build of SheepShaver.

In many cases where choosing the ROM involved browsing to it rather than typing in the path, I either have to override the application's notion of appropriate file extensions and tell it to show all files or else change the extension of the ".img" file itself to whatever the app is expecting.

Can't imagine why the files would pose a problem in the Linux environment. At any rate, it comes back to "Gee it would be convenient if SheepShaver would let you specify a second hardfile to mount and mount it at bootup time as a second volume". Whatever you're using for a hardfile is apparently compatible here in the Mac universe with the "img" files I'm using.

Oh, and did I say this? -- awesome! Sheepshaver is just awesome!
AHunter3
Tinkerer

Post by AHunter3 »

OK, I've now tried:

• ROM from WallStreet PowerBook
• ROM from 7100
• ROM from 7300
• ROM from beige G3

none of these appears to be SheepShaver-compatible. They are also larger than the ROM extracted from the ROM Update file linked to on the help screen.

:?: