Altivec Builds

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Now all the devel team has to do is convert everything to 64-bit and they got themselves a G5 :D
desertboy
Tinkerer

Post by desertboy »

kybernaut wrote:hey guys...

From the info I got from the dev mailing list and the wiki, AltiVec is software emulated at the moment. It should run on a 486 as well as on a P4.

http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/wiki/index.php/Altivec
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... arpc-devel

--kybernaut

Precisely what I said 3rd post but no one seemed to notice.

Ho hum
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

kybernaut wrote:
prasys wrote:so its possible to emulate G4 on a 486 PC
Yes... that should be possible.
I would doubt that. Pear PC will be compiled for a 686 core. That core is very different from a 486 core
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

desertboy wrote:Precisely what I said 3rd post but no one seemed to notice.
yeah, but sometimes bare facts aren't that exciting... :P

Not that anyone gets me wrong: I think it's a huge achievement that PearPC now virtually emulates a G4. If someone had told me so a year ago I probably would not have believed him...

But all this needs time to get where we want it to be. in the meatime it helps to stick with the facts...

--kybernaut
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Marc wrote:
kybernaut wrote:
prasys wrote:so its possible to emulate G4 on a 486 PC
Yes... that should be possible.
I would doubt that. Pear PC will be compiled for a 686 core. That core is very different from a 486 core
don't forget that it compiles for 686+ only if you compile it optimized, the non-optimized build is plain ia-32 code which should run perfectly (but slowly) on a 486 or even a 386 (even slower).
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I didn't mean just an optimisation for 686. Some programs refuse to run if they do not have a P6 core. Try running some versions of Sci Tech Display Doctor on a regular pentium, for example. It throws skitz and then says it won't work cos it specifically calls for 686 instructions. I am not saying that PearPC is like this, but it might be.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

well, sebastian said that pearpc should run ok (but slowly) on a 486 as on a p4, and he's the main developer, so i would listen (i don't want to go and test my pearpc on the 486 a few meters away through a parallel cable)
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well , G3 emulation on 486....*faints*..Well , it will run slow...and PearPC really rocks with Velocity Engine...(G4 emulation)...
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Hmm for some reason I am not getting the watched topic E-mails anymore....I'll have to run that past clockwise...ANYWAYS!

23 July 04 is updated....and I had family issues the other night that stopped me from loging on and doing it (didn't even touch the computer)...ALSO...

A few people have asked about *nix builds.....well if you send me the flags for it or a complete script for CYGWin on how to do it but your too lazy I'll do it for everyone....there that is my offer....

Shawn
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

you mean a script for compiling pearpc on cygwin? linux?
Simba7
Space Cadet

Post by Simba7 »

Is there a way to take advantage of both SSE and 3DNow! Pro in the Athlon XP Processors?
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

I have to apologize to everyone I was unable to build really anything today 23-24 July cause I had a windows issue. However I was able to compile and build a beta Altivec build (say that three times fast) and a Beta Altivec with fixed SDL to allow fullscreen....take alook at my site and the links are on the front.
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

what flags you you guys using for the optimized builds

i started with

Code: Select all

-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
for my computer..along with the other default flags the config file sets up

here's my final setup for gcc 3.4

-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -ftracer -fno-crossjumping -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fmove-all-movables -freduce-all-givs -ffast-math -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fforce-addr -falign-functions=4 -funroll-loops -fweb -Wundef -Wall -g -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -fsigned-char -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
the build made with the latter flags was 5 seconds faster booting darwin
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

rudefyet wrote:what flags you you guys using for the optimized builds

i started with

-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
for my computer..along with the other default flags the config file sets up

here's my final setup for gcc 3.4

-march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -ftracer -fno-crossjumping -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fmove-all-movables -freduce-all-givs -ffast-math -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fforce-addr -falign-functions=4 -funroll-loops -fweb -Wundef -Wall -g -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -fsigned-char -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
the build made with the latter flags was 5 seconds faster booting darwin
well, i used -march=athlon-4 -O3 and it did run faster (don't ask me about darwin, but osx loaded 10-15 seconds faster)
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

using the first with just -march=pentium3 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer vs. the really obnoxiusly long list of flags...i noticed the animations in OS X ran much smoother...mainly the menu fading....i'm quite impressed myself
Gold
Student Driver

Post by Gold »

Can you post this build?
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

Gold wrote:Can you post this build?
I don't have a server right now to put it on

It was just a .2 release version anyways

I can make them using those flags for any processor...although i dunno what flags the other people making builds use so i can't gurantee a performance increase
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

can't people compile themselves?
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

PPC_Digger wrote:can't people compile themselves?
:lol:
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Ok, it is PPC_diggers responsibility to teach everyone how to use CYGwin now...sound fair enough?
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well , some people even do not know how to.......use *nix (sorry nooobs...even me...i am forgetting my commands)....Well , I hope someone puts up at Noob-Guide-to compile PearPC....
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Once the site is running at full speed then I will do so
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

i can start making a tutrial right now, just give me a day or two.
Ancient Imhotep
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Ancient Imhotep »

I want to help with the PearPC development as much as possible, so if someone posts a tutorial on how to compile using CYGwin then I will take the time to read it.

Then if people want I can compile the code and even try new patches to see if they work.

I think that all the people who can should test the patches, as these will help to add features and remove bugs.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Ancient Imhotep wrote:I think that all the people who can should test the patches, as these will help to add features and remove bugs.
that's what open source is all about :D