DMG files and PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jackalo
Granny Smith

DMG files and PearPC

Post by Jackalo »

I am sick and tired of people posting help requests for converting their DMG copies of OS X into a useable format for PearPC. 9 times out of 10, they have a warez copy, and I will no longer stand on the sidelines and let this happen in the E-Maculation forums.

If you have a very legit use for converting a DMG file into a PearPC usable format, such as an OS X update or a certain software utility that you were dying to try, there is a Perl script written by one of our forum members, vu1tur. He has told us that most DMG files are merely zlib'ed ISO files, and that conversion of most DMG files should not be a problem.

You can find this handy utility at http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools. If you have questions about how to use it, feel free to post in this thread.

[UPDATE: vu1tur has posted a Win32 binary on his site for people who do not want to bother installing Perl. Cheers, mate!]

Please, don't be a moron and post that you are attempting to convert a copy of OS X that you downloaded from a P2P network or borrowed from a friend. I'm in a ban-happy mood.

- The Management
Last edited by Jackalo on Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

well I agree with the sentiment behind your statement but for me it is nice to know about the different things that can be done.
I would like to know if it would be easy for me to create a dmg on my G5 and "build" a cd img that I can use on pearpc.
I would think it would be the fastest way for me to get the files I want onto my hd.img.
then I could also build a larger drive from my pearpc img file to add the components I want.

are there are some troubles with the optimized G5 version of the os and the G3 version that pearpc sets up. I could not load my G5 disk into pearpc, I had to use a version for other than G5, then install my 10.3 upgrade. I suspect that some of the drivers are built for G5 only.

I have burned dmg files to import using nero for the iso, and it works fine for me, but now I have a couple of disks with dmg that I don't need.
I am going to swich to a rewritable. so I could create the cd.iso and move things that way.

yes i know that I can net these things, but it does take time and then the other people in the house have to wait while I use both computers.
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

Update:
For those who can't/doesn't want/whatever install perl for dmg2iso, win32 binary is also available.
http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

Bah, now you say it, after I installed all that perl crap.

Thanks, though, vu1tur!
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

Eh, Perl might come in handy for other things, you never know. =)
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

You never know, this programming thing might catch on!
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

In Perl? Pfft.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Don't you mean:

$string = "Pfft."

print $string

...?
marathon
Space Cadet

perl script dmg2iso

Post by marathon »

I've run this on both PC and Linux (Debian). Using both the PC binary and the script (Debian) both quit with memory errors.

Anyone else seeing this, and what's the solution? Strange that I'm getting this on my Linux box, it has plenty of memory.
marathon
Space Cadet

Re: perl script dmg2iso

Post by marathon »

marathon wrote:I've run this on both PC and Linux (Debian). Using both the PC binary and the script (Debian) both quit with memory errors.

Anyone else seeing this, and what's the solution? Strange that I'm getting this on my Linux box, it has plenty of memory.

++Followup to my own post

To see the Windoze error dialogue box, see;

http://sd-a.netfirms.com/dmg2iso-error-msg.png

the Debian error just says, 'insufficent memory'.[/b]
marathon
Space Cadet

Post by marathon »

One would think I could get my shit together...

Netirms doesn't allow one to view images directly, so

http://sd-a.netfirms.com/

will get the screenshot.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Principal Skinner! You're in the wrong cartoon!!!
marathon
Space Cadet

Post by marathon »

So does anyone have any solutions for this perl script that doesn't work?
Xyraxel
Space Cadet

Post by Xyraxel »

When i try to access the website to download dmg2iso file I get the following error
Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
vu1tur.eu.org
Thu Jul 22 03:19:21 2004
Apache/2.0.47 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_perl/1.99_11-dev Perl/v5.8.4 mod_ssl/2.0.47 OpenSSL/0.9.7c mod_auth_pgsql/2.0.1
So could anyone email me the dmg2iso.exe file ??
my email address is xyraxel@hotmail.com

thanks
shaman_sanchez
Space Cadet

Post by shaman_sanchez »

I think the site is down, I just get a 404. Could somebody e-mail me the win32 binary?
My e-mail is shamansanchez@starmen.net
vu1tur
Inquisitive Elf

Post by vu1tur »

2all: site got expired. fixed.

marathon
Since you get error with both versions, I say the dmg file is corrupted.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

you might want to take a look at this thread:
http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=13205
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

xes
Space Cadet

why

Post by xes »

why not just downlaod and buy MACDrive 5 and filedisk and mount the img as eg t: there for u goto and open the T:(your macosx_.img and copy the dmg file to ur desktop [T:\Users\dwaynetriffitt\Desktop] u boot MAC in pearPC and there it is on ur desktop dbl click it and it extr. u run the dmg and it will install why convert to img? and boot it from CD? this is much easy'r... unless ur sting and dont wanna purchz MacDrive5
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

The DMG2ISO is very useful for me, because since I haven't gotten Network to work in PearPC yet, I can download the game or whatever, and most downloadable OS X stuff comes in .DMG and just convert it to ISO and get it on to my Mac HD.

And I actually did get a game to work about a 50th as well as it works on a real Mac. I measure this by the highscore I was able to get on the PearPC Mac (21) to the highscore I can get on a real Mac (1,010). The game is MacCrackAttack and I'm willing to bet that no one can beat my highscore. The game hardly deserves to be called playable. It's a simple puzzle game, but one that if you don't do things fast enough, it's Game Over for you. Man did I go off topic. Oh well. Probably never could've done it on 0.1.