SheepShaver on Windows via coLinux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ribtorus
Student Driver

Post by Ribtorus »

Trombone Bob wrote:The way I got SheepShaver to load was that I had to launch SheepShaver from a VNC window. Also I extracted the rom from ftp.apple.com and it worked once I coppied it into colinux. The CD-ROM as far as I know is not accessable using SheepShaver in coLinux. I ended up creating an ISO of the mac 8.5 and using the command ./SheepShaver --cdrom /path/to/cd/iso/macos.iso to load mac os
I have created an ISO of OS 8.5, but when I use smbclient to attempt to copy it to a directory in coLinux, the copy only partially completes and I get an error message.
I have tried many times, and always the same error. I have even tried an ISO of OS 9, and that too will not fully copy over via smb.

What is the function of this line in the config file, and how does it relate to allowing SheepShaver to see a cd from which it can boot the OS and start the install?
<block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\k:" enabled="true"></block_device>

I'm so close, but I can't get past this issue.
Cat_7
Expert User

block devices

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,
to use your cdrom drive with colinux (and sheepshaver) you could try the following:

change the line
<block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\e:" enabled="true">
to
<block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\x:" enabled="true">
where x is the letter of your cdrom drive

best wishes
Cat_7
Ribtorus
Student Driver

Re: block devices

Post by Ribtorus »

Cat_7 wrote:Hello,
to use your cdrom drive with colinux (and sheepshaver) you could try the following:

change the line
<block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\e:" enabled="true">
to
<block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\x:" enabled="true">
where x is the letter of your cdrom drive

best wishes
Cat_7
That's what I've done.

"k:" is my cdrom drive letter, but SheepShaver will not recognise it. I am using a proper Mac OS 8 CD that worked in my Red Hat 8 installation of SheepSaver, so I know the CD is good.
Cat_7
Expert User

cd rom

Post by Cat_7 »

Can't really help you, because I don't understand enough of colinux, but have you tried mounting a normal cd in colinux?
And then mounting a hfs+ cd?
If that works the cd should be accessable by sheepshaver also.

If it doesn't work you should look at colinux' documentation again.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
Ribtorus
Student Driver

Post by Ribtorus »

A windows (iso9660) cd will mount in coLinux fine, but whenever i attempt to mount an hfs mac cd (for example my OS 8.1 or OS 9 install cd), I get the error message that either there are too many mounts, a bad block, or the wrong fs type.

I have tried "mount -t hfs /dev/cobd2" but I get a message that the kernel doesn't support hfs file types. I understood that all recent Linux kernels could mount the hfs file type. All the on-line instructions for enabling hfs mounting that I could find refer to older Linux kernels which did not have the capability.
Cat_7
Expert User

what distro do you use then

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Is it possible the distro you downloaded does not support hfs?
If not, then this could be causing the problem you experience.
You could try another installable image.

Well, I don't know. It's best not add to your confusion with my own....

Best,
Cat_7
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

you need to create an ISO of mac os 8.5 and copy it into your colinux hard drive then use the command ./sheepshaver --cdrom /path/to/iso
this will allow sheepshaver to boot to the cdrom image. sheepshaver will not use the raw cdrom for booting. Also to copy the iso in you will need to enable scp I think its 'emerge scp" but I do not remember and install winscp.
Hope this helps
Ribtorus
Student Driver

Post by Ribtorus »

Thanks for the help!

It all eventually worked.

I edited the file ".sheepshaver_prefs" and inserted the cdrom iso path there.

What's interesting so far is that the ROM I took off my OS9 cd doesn't give me any errors in SheepShaver, but it won't boot OS9. So I'm installing OS8.1 for now.
Cat_7
Expert User

Hey

Post by Cat_7 »

GREAT!

Cat_7
Yoshinator
Space Cadet

Post by Yoshinator »

Well... after setting it aside for a while I tried downloading and compiling SheepShaver again using the same gentoo file and ROMs.

It seems that Mac OS ROM v1.6 is the only one that would boot for. I'm now getting past the black only screen and it's trying to boot the MacOS 8.5 ISO I have imported into gentoo.

BUT colinux completely locks up around the time the 4th extention is displayed in SheepShaver while booting from the CD ISO.

Btw, my 8.1 ISO crashes SheepShaver but doesn't lock colinux. However, it doesn't even make it to loading extensions.

I guess something may have changed in builds. So hopefully I eventually can get this going.
Jack Hair
Student Driver

Post by Jack Hair »

Ive been having trubbles too getting SheepShaver to run on Colinux (Debian)
After i tried compiling from CVS, i couldnt get it to boot MacOS Iso's (8.1 and 8.5). After lots of trying ive installed the Debian SheepShaver package, and it just works without any trubbles.
netdroid9
Space Cadet

Post by netdroid9 »

I'm stuck :(

I'm using coLinux 6.2 pre-6 with linspire, and this is my latest screenie:

or if that doesn't work: http://img69.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img69&im ... srocks.gif

ROFL! It's based on debian, but still... 8O mnt: Permission Denied? No Root? Not even CD command (I tested it, Help says it is but it isn't)? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And it's the most usable linux distro for XP users (Apparently)

I'm working on fixing it though.
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

It seems that Mac OS ROM v1.6 is the only one that would boot for. I'm now getting past the black only screen and it's trying to boot the MacOS 8.5 ISO I have imported into gentoo.

BUT colinux completely locks up around the time the 4th extention is displayed in SheepShaver while booting from the CD ISO.
Yes I had the same problems but when I booted with extentions off Sheepshaver and colinux worked fine

Also I did not have the problems when I used OS 9
lord_muad_dib
Student Driver

Post by lord_muad_dib »

netdroid: you got that screen you got cos you have "ram0" in bootparams

busybox is a rescuedistro used by colinux to move kernel modules into your linux distro.
anyway atm is really hard to make a linux installation directy from colinux

you should copy all the content of the cd into the fake linux partition and modify installation script to redirect xwindow's display to a remote vnc

or install it in a real patition first then copy the installed files in a clean fake partition

for all of peops: if you join #colinux at irc.oftc.net you'll find a lot of people that could help you (i'll be there to)