Stuffit Expander & Basilisk II

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Psycheout
Space Cadet

Stuffit Expander & Basilisk II

Post by Psycheout »

I am running Basilisk II on Windows with MacOS 7.5.3. After installing, there was no Stuffit Expander. And here's the odd part: Every installer for Stuffit I find needs Stuffit to install it. It's sort of an evil circle of some sort. What can I do?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can use maczipit to convert a downloaded .hqx file from stuffit.com

pick up a copy here:
http://www.maczipit.com/dodl.phtml?loc=zipit-14.sea.bin

Best wishes

Cat_7
Psycheout
Space Cadet

Post by Psycheout »

Thanks! I hope that solves my problems!
Psycheout
Space Cadet

Post by Psycheout »

Aw, dang it! It could not find the program that created it. Could not find apropriate translators. I'm going to remove System 7.5.3, then re-install and see if Stuffit Expander shows up. Maybe I didn't do something right during installation the first time.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

I don't know how you are moving files in and out the basilisk hard disk file, but if you are using something like HFV explorer, take care of the type of transfer you do. Don't let it perform automatic translations, because these tend to make errors.

Cat_7
Psycheout
Space Cadet

Post by Psycheout »

I enabled the My Computer fuction in the Basilisk II GUI, and it creates a My Computer icon on the Mac desktop, and allows you access to the files on my computer. I just transfer it there. If I didn't have that working, I would need HFV explorer. My version of Basilisk II is resurrected, meaning I used it, was busy with other things for a long time, than decided to return to the project. I had deleted the .dsk files to free up disk space, and just let the Basilisk II folder sit there. I just recreated the .dsk files, reset preferences and re-downloaded and installed 7.5.3. I remember the last time I installed it, it had Stuffit Expander come with System 7.5.3.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

HQX files can be automatically decompressed via HFVExplorer when copied into a HDF.

In fact, the version I put up on my website long ago solves the problem of getting Stuffit Expander installed without needing Stuffit Expander to decompress it.

You can download it on my Quick Stop webpage: http://mes.emuunlim.com/quick/index.htm

When you copy the hqx file via HFVExplorer, you may have to choose an option (or not) like RAW copy.
Last edited by Mac Emu on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycheout
Space Cadet

Post by Psycheout »

Thank you very much, my problem is solved :D
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Mac Emu wrote:You can download it on my Quick Stop webpage: http://mes.emuunlim.com/quick/index.htm
You run the MES :?: :?: :?: Why isn't it being updated? Why won't PearPC, QEMU and SheepShaver/x86 be on it?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Because it was taking up a lot of my time, I have my own OS Emulation forum to post updates\news\help and I've been busy with school\work.

I'm taking the Spring semester off so might get around to working on a new and improved (and updated) Macintosh Emulation Station (or I may not). I'd rather be studying assembly language programming\particle physics.
Traskelion
Space Cadet

Stuffit Engine?

Post by Traskelion »

I have both DropStuff and Stuffit Expander installed, they have been for a long time. Then, after installing Mac OS 7.5.3, any attempt to use them brought up an error message saying it requires a "Stuffit Engine". I think my Google search turned up nothing. However, I saw this forum, and thought I'd ask if anyone knew what could be done. Thanks in advance. :o
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Use the Extension Manager control panel to make sure the Stuffit Engine is active. And you could try reinstalling DropStuff 5.5 (on this page):

http://mes.emuunlim.com/quick/index.htm
Traskelion
Space Cadet

Post by Traskelion »

Installation seemed to fix it. Thanks. 8)