Creating 2GB HFV Drives

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Creating 2GB HFV Drives

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Perhaps some folks figured this out, but if you ever use HFV Explorer to try and make a 2GB HFV file for use in any of the Mac emulators, it will say you are out of space.

When you go to create a new volume, don't select the 2GB option, select the 500MB option and just rename it to 2000 MB and it will create it just fine.

I figure some folks might enjoy that tip since Windows users can enjoy the fun of PPC, so that means more software that takes up more space.

Sadly you can't go beyond 2GB for HFV files using HFV Explorer or any other tool I've used, but that may be related to the fact that older Mac OS systems had a 2GB file limit.

`BoJ
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Re: Creating 2GB HFV Drives

Post by Neospy »

The Balance Of Judgement wrote:Perhaps some folks figured this out, but if you ever use HFV Explorer to try and make a 2GB HFV file for use in any of the Mac emulators, it will say you are out of space.

When you go to create a new volume, don't select the 2GB option, select the 500MB option and just rename it to 2000 MB and it will create it just fine.

I figure some folks might enjoy that tip since Windows users can enjoy the fun of PPC, so that means more software that takes up more space.

Sadly you can't go beyond 2GB for HFV files using HFV Explorer or any other tool I've used, but that may be related to the fact that older Mac OS systems had a 2GB file limit.

`BoJ
BS! Older macs just did not have big HDs and the problem here is HFVexplorer. It never got to the point that allowed it to have larger HD space amounts. The thing is really kinda "ABANDONWARE" because no one is making it anymore. Back to the "limit". On "old macs" there is not really a limit (well were talking about models w/ a HD) because they use an older pin connector so you wont be able to put a Terrabyte HD in it.

>neospy 8)
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I wasn't quite clear in my last post, maybe this will help.

Macs never had a limit on how big drives had to be. They did have limits on how big the partitions had to be. Pre 8.1 Macs couldn't deal with more than 2GB I believe, I can check the TIL at Apple to find out. But in addition to these limitations, the Mac OS filesystem (pre-OSX) has a limit of 2GB per individual file. So if you were recording a sound file, it could record untill the file was 2GB in size then it would not be able to go any further without creating a new file.

This 2GB limit may have been what HFV Explorer was designed around, since when it was created only 68K macs were emulated, and even back in those days, OS 8 support wasn't final, so anything over 2GB would be ignored by the emulator, no matter how it patched the ToolBox.

What utilities do people these days use to create HFV images? (That is in the Windows side)
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

The Balance Of Judgement wrote: What utilities do people these days use to create HFV images? (That is in the Windows side)
HFV explorer. We dont have anything else....

>neospy
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Neospy wrote:
The Balance Of Judgement wrote: What utilities do people these days use to create HFV images? (That is in the Windows side)
HFV explorer. We dont have anything else....

>neospy
What about TransMac, "fsutil", or all the tools for PearPC? Or the Basilisk II GUI perhaps? I believe you get the point.
Slice
Student Driver

Post by Slice »

2 GB is 2048 MB, not 2000 MB. ;)