Is Sheep Shaver unstable for you?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

AZEnigma
Student Driver

Is Sheep Shaver unstable for you?

Post by AZEnigma »

SheepShaver crashes a lot on my laptop (Winxp SP1, Pentium M). Sometimes random, some things I can repeat. Sometimes I get an generic alert generated, sometimes it just crashes out to the windows desktop. One crash that I can replicate very reliably is from playing sounds quickly. If I go the the Monitors and sound control panel and play serveral alerts in a row, it will crash. I am running 8.6 with the ethernet update rom, and have given around 100megs for the os. I have checked the STDERR and STDOUT files and both are empty.
AdamTheHun
Space Cadet

Post by AdamTheHun »

Same here.

I'm using OS 8.6, and it randomly crashes, mostly for no apparent reason.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

well i have some of those radom freezing most of them happen when i leave sheepshaver running idle for a long time as i have also said in another thread i get it also trying to run quicktime i am also running 8.6
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Very Unstable. It shows an error message before the GUI appears.
outcast
Space Cadet

without extensions

Post by outcast »

SheepShaver was very unstable for me untill i turned off all extensions and control panels. it became quite stable after that and less prone to crashes. i suspect that maybe it has something to do with the quicktime extensions.

i'll try turning on a few extensions at the time and see which ones are giving problems.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

I just turned off JIT. W/O it sheep is ROCK SOLID. Yes, I know it's very "slow" but on my P4 3.0 ghz it's about the speed of my Powermac 5500/250 next to my TV. If you want to compare the power of jit on/off look at this topic: SheepWin Benchmarks

>neospy 8)
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

Yes - Unstable (OS8.6 on P4 3Ghz, WinXP)

1) When using key caps (although better when extensions off)
2) When doing desktop file operations
3) Often just after/during startup
4) After being left for a while
5) Almost any time for no particular reason.

Tried new OS8.6 install, different host OS (i.e., Win 2000), deleting nvram, extensions off, deleting sys pref file, changing SS config file, etc... Same results.

Still nice to play with but not practical (btw B2 is very stable for me ...)

Cheers ...
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Remember guys, this is only the second binary we have had and Gwenole was not a Windows programmer before this port. It's a very good start, and I am hopeful that with Gwenole behind it, the Windows port of SheepShaver will reach the levels of the excellent Linux version.
outcast
Space Cadet

Post by outcast »

Marc wrote:Remember guys, this is only the second binary we have had and Gwenole was not a Windows programmer before this port. It's a very good start, and I am hopeful that with Gwenole behind it, the Windows port of SheepShaver will reach the levels of the excellent Linux version.
i realize that and im not complaining :D
its an amazing piece of software and best of all its pretty damn fast. if only pearpc could achieve this level of usefullness. in the mean time i guess we have to wait untill it gets a little more stable.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

outcast wrote:its an amazing piece of software and best of all its pretty damn fast. if only pearpc could achieve this level of usefullness. in the mean time i guess we have to wait untill it gets a little more stable.
It is a little hard to compare SheepShaver to PearPC, since they run different OS's. It is known that OSX is much heavier than OS8, or even OS9, so even if it works faster, you can't compare them.