Appletalk for XP

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Appletalk for XP

Post by Trombone Bob »

Ok, I have search the web and all I have found is that Microsoft in their wisdom have removed the appletalk protocol from windows xp. My question is can you install the protocol from windows 2k and if so how?
Thanks
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Re: Appletalk for XP

Post by PPC_Digger »

Trombone Bob wrote:Ok, I have search the web and all I have found is that Microsoft in their wisdom have removed the appletalk protocol from windows xp. My question is can you install the protocol from windows 2k and if so how?
Thanks
I did it sometime ago with NetBEUI by copying some INF file from the windows INF directory (you can find which one by searching inside all the .inf files), and selecting "have disk" in the XP protocol installation wizard, then selecting the protocol I needed and inserting the 2000 CD when required. The only problem I had with it was that it only worked with NICs, so it refused to connect when I tryied to with a modem.

P.S. If you are lazy and don't want to search inside all the INF files you can simply copy them all, but it will take more time (after you hit "have disk").
Cortilein
Space Cadet

Post by Cortilein »

So it is possible to access shared volumes on "real existing" Macs that are connected to the same LAN? I have exactly the same situation here with a "mixed" network of computers running with Mac OS 9, Mac OS X and Windows XP-SP2. I would like to be able to connect to the Macs from the WinXP machine and access files directly there. Could somebody explain some more about how that could be done IF it can be done?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cortilein wrote:So it is possible to access shared volumes on "real existing" Macs that are connected to the same LAN? I have exactly the same situation here with a "mixed" network of computers running with Mac OS 9, Mac OS X and Windows XP-SP2. I would like to be able to connect to the Macs from the WinXP machine and access files directly there. Could somebody explain some more about how that could be done IF it can be done?
Well, I have never used the AppleTalk protocol in windows, so you should try it with Windows 2000, which already has the protocol, and if it works, try to install it in the XP machines.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Appletalk is deinstalled when detected in an upgrade from w2k to wxp.
You can, however, use appletalk solutions from third parties like:

http://www.miramar.com/Products/PC_MACLAN/index.html
or
http://www.grouplogic.com/products/extreme/overview.cfm

or run w2003 server, which has appletalk still available in the macintosh file and printing services.

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cat_7 wrote:Appletalk is deinstalled when detected in an upgrade from w2k to wxp.
That's not what I said. I meant to test it on Windows 2000, and if it works, install the protocol manually (see previous posts).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

PPC-Digger,

I know what you said, and your point is valid, but my comment does not contradict it.

Cat_7
LEOinDC
Space Cadet

Enabling Appletalk in Windows XP

Post by LEOinDC »

Obtain the following six files from a Windows 2000 machine and place them in the same sub-directories in Windows XP:

netatlk.inf ->Windows\inf
sfmatalk.sys ->Windows\system32\drivers
sfmatmsg.dll ->Windows\system32
sfmmon.dll ->Windows\system32
sfmpsprt.dll ->Windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86
sfmwshat.dll ->Windows\system32

REBOOT

Now you will have the Appletalk option in your network properties in XP.