So is PearPC dead?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

So is PearPC dead?

Post by CaptainValor »

There hasn't been a new official release in ages. Is PearPC dead in the water? :?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Yes, there hasn't been much change in the CVS in the last few months, but one thing I have noticed is that the hardware MMU branch compiles (not that it boots ok or anything) in contrast to a few weeks ago when it didn't.

Anyways, if Seppel decided to abandon it, someone else should take over. We can't let PearPC die.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

There is still alot of work going on, especially via "unnoficial" patches. There exists patches already for Native CD-ROM use in Windows, for Sound in windows, and of course, Altivec builds are gaining speeds and stability. So still lots going on.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yes but those were created months ago. Where is the integration of those innovations into the CVS? Where is the dev team? What the heck happened? :?
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

I was a little sad too, but then I checked the Sourceforget developer's email list archives. They're definitely still hard at work. You can access them via PearPC's Sourceforge page.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Well that's good to know. Perhaps they're working in seclusion preparing for a big time update all at once.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

CaptainValor wrote:Well that's good to know. Perhaps they're working in seclusion preparing for a big time update all at once.
Where's the logic in that? The whole point in CVS is that it has every little update.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

[quote="The Balance Of Judgement"]Altivec builds are gaining speeds and stability.[/quote]

I haven't seen a nearly stable altivec build since 0.3pre.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

It might take time for them to integrate the patches into the CVS branch, and they're waiting until they make a stable build.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

At least Jens is working actively on PearPC (i think). :wink: If you read the mailing list, you should get an idea of the PearPC development rate.
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

There seems enough good stuff in the main CVS now to merit an official 0.4 release, native CD-ROM alone should deserve a release IMO.

*Maybe* they are holding back because they are close to completing another major improvement?

I guess the HW-MMU development is the big challenge right now, and they admit it's proving tricky. But if it improves PearPC as much as they reckon, then I don't mind waiting. :roll:
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

Havin_it wrote: *Maybe* they are holding back because they are close to completing another major improvement?
According to Jens von der Heyt, they are waiting for OpenBIOS support.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

And how close are they to achieving OpenBIOS support?
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

If I got it right, Jens said that we shouldn't expect something to be released soon - sadly :( :cry:
I just look forward to OpenBIOS and the graphics OpenGL thing and not to forget MMU... I guess, we'll have to wait quite a while until we get all of those...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Maui X-Stream still announces Cherry OS to appear soon.
PearPC development hasn't heard of Sebastian for quite some time now.

So a rather bold thought just slipped into my mind, and now is slipping out of my fingers:

What about combining the two: Sebastian selling out to Maui X-Stream and coming up with an improved PearPC alias Cherry OS?

Or is this really too bold a thought?

Cat_7
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I don't see any advantage to selling out to CherryOS. Besides, the software is OpenSource, so CherryOS will still have to publish the source code.
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

I can't see that happening at all... Why would PearPC ever do that? CherryOS doesn't bring anything to the table and they tried to pass off PearPC as their own! What can they possibly offer to PearPC?
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

and they still do have a look at cherryOs brand new web page
http://www.mxsinc.com/pages.php?cid=MDEwMDA4
and there announcing it for 49.95$
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Let me try to explain my line of thought-experiment, and let it be clear this is not what I think is going on. But it's possible:

Maui X-Stream makes an announcement stating they deliver an OSX emulator, that clearly seems to be a rip-off from Pearpc.
To not loose face after the hustle this announcement creates, they have to deliver something. So they contact the main Pearpc developer with an offer he can't refuse, him being an ill-funded student.
He then starts to rework and amend Pearpc so it can become CherryOS. While doing this he obviously can't contribute to the open source project.

So the reason for it is money, and maybe some extra resources for programming stuff.

Now I don't know if this is happening, it's all conjecture. And I mean not to harm or destroy anyones reputation by this.

Cat_7
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I'm not sure I would trust a company like that with my projects, whether I needed the funding or not!
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

CherryOS is a scam...Look at the specs itself !
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

Cat_7 wrote:So they contact the main Pearpc developer with an offer he can't refuse, him being an ill-funded student.

Cat_7

Look at the horrible job Maui did with trying to fake their "revolutionary emulator." Sure looks like to me they don't have all that much bucks there. Where would they ever find enough money to make an "offer PearPC can't refuse?"
DittoBox
Tinkerer

Post by DittoBox »

Cat_7 wrote:Let me try to explain my line of thought-experiment, and let it be clear this is not what I think is going on. But it's possible:

Maui X-Stream makes an announcement stating they deliver an OSX emulator, that clearly seems to be a rip-off from Pearpc.
To not loose face after the hustle this announcement creates, they have to deliver something. So they contact the main Pearpc developer with an offer he can't refuse, him being an ill-funded student.
He then starts to rework and amend Pearpc so it can become CherryOS. While doing this he obviously can't contribute to the open source project.

So the reason for it is money, and maybe some extra resources for programming stuff.

Now I don't know if this is happening, it's all conjecture. And I mean not to harm or destroy anyones reputation by this.

Cat_7
PearPC is GNU/GPL (I think, could be BSD, eitherway the code *must* be published). Thusly they've got to fork over code if they're selling binaries (GNU allows you to sell the service of creating binaries, but you must also publish the source that created those biniaries). So if he's "amending" pearPC in the interest of gaining money from MXS, he's doing it illegally. Assuming it's GNU/GPL, then you can't change licesnes mid-stream with GNU. Once GNU, always GNU.
reub2000
Space Cadet

Post by reub2000 »

Cat_7 wrote:Let me try to explain my line of thought-experiment, and let it be clear this is not what I think is going on. But it's possible:

Cat_7
If they had ripped the source code without him knowing, then he would have probably written an angry rant on his website. I know I would. And looking at slashdot, it does obvouly look like it is based on pearpc. However a google search of the website for cherry os shows nothing..
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

If you look up the Wired articles about CherryOS, you will see that they did interview Sebastien (of the PearPC team) and Sebastien said that he was definitely NOT happy about it.

Perhaps he didn't write an angry rant because he's more professional than that?