Cherry OS is available for download

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Cherry OS is available for download

Post by Cat_7 »

Now we'll see....

cat_7
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Known Issues
Sound. There is no sound support on this version. We will be releasing an update that will include sound capabilities as soon as it becomes available.
Network Bridging. While you will be able to connect to the Internet by using Window's ICS - you will not be able to use the CherryOS Network Bridge. The Network Bridge will be included in a future release of CherryOS.
Funny, isn't it...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I've even got the timer poblem, trying to install 10.3 on it.

UPDATE: installation was way too slow for me to wait for. So I tried to use my pearpc OSX10.3 installed HD-image and booted Cherry OS with that.
Didn't work for me. G4 issue?

Installation f*cked up my network bridge :evil:

on pearpc.net: if you open the file "AstroAMatro" you'll see a standard pearpc config file.

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yeah, this is a front end hacked to PearPC. It's awefully buggy on my PC. After installing Mac OS X 10.2.3 using it, I uninstalled CherryOS. I'm updating the former CherryOS hdf to 10.2.8 using PearPC now.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

There are over 500 similar strings in ppc.exe and cherryos.exe.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Maybe we should all go to the site and click on the 'See an Error?' link and then report the software as a contravention of copyright laws. Maybe include a few of the links that prove that this is a rip-off.

This guy is such greedy, unethical f**ker!
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Ran my existing PearPC image with this... It worked ok but when I tried to activate networking it crashed a lot.

I quickly uninstalled it again ;)
liquex
Student Driver

Post by liquex »

ya know... i can't get cherryOS to even load my 10.3 images to install.

but while PearPC is great...CherryOS has features that i want in pear... such as the disk sharing.

it doesn't really bother me that he borrowed code... it bothers me that he just won't admit it.

and you can't say CherryOS is a "fake" program anymore (i've seen people calling it a fake program on other forums), because look. there it is, installed on my computer. it's a real program... it just that the guy isn't giving credit for the code he took.

i really like that cherryos (attempted) to make a pearpc geared toward the stupid end-user. i love that. but....the program BLOWS and i'm just going to use pearPC.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Will you still love it if you have to pay this idiot $50 for a PearPC frontend?

It's a complete joke. He promised 80% speed, then started saying things like '80% speed could mean 80% of anything, not just the processor, it could be the disk access or the bus'. I other words he is a liar.

None of the features that are missing in PearPC that he promised, such as sound are missing.

Coincidence, I think not
DittoBox
Tinkerer

Post by DittoBox »

He's just waiting for the PearPC brilliants to commit thses things to CVS so he can rip it and hack it up into his code base.

:evil:
jeange
Space Cadet

cherry OS is a Pearpc Insult!!!!

Post by jeange »

Cherry os is nothing but BS. Can't beleive that a company would go and steel source code from an emulator that is free and had so much work involved in conceiving it. Putting it in a box with a cd marked cherry os on it and selling it for $50 what a rip off!!! I have to say, I am going to support Pearpc till the end of times. The creators put so much work into it,to give to us for free and now a company steals it claming that they didn't.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

It's overwhelmingly obvious that Arben used the GPL PearPC code and just hacked a (presently buggy) front end to it, removing all GPL copylefts and renaming application symbols in a feeble attempt to hide the tracks.

Who's going to take him to court? Sebastian?

With all the negative press the retail CherryOS is getting, will Apple decide to clamp down on Mac emulation in general, stopping all emulation projects claiming that installing the Mac OS on an emulator violates their overly restrictive license agreement? Could any of the PearPC code be non-clean room reverse engineered as well?
Last edited by Mac Emu on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Mac Emu wrote:It's overwhelmingly obvious that Arben used the GPL PearPC code and just hacked a (presently buggy) front end to it, removing all GPL copylefts.

Who's going to take him to court? Sebastian?

With all the negative press the retail CherryOS is getting, will Apple decide to clamp down on Mac emulation in general, stopping all emulation projects claiming that installing the Mac OS on an emulator violates their overly restrictive license agreement? Could any of the PearPC code be non-clean room reverse engineered as well?
Yep you are right...Stupid Arben..Hopefully he does put a fullstop on all the PowerPC Emulators..If he does :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Actually it looks like Dan Foesch, if anyone, is stepping up to this one. (That may be a geographical consideration, as Sebastian is in Europe.)

More coverage here. Click if you fancy a puff-piece worthy of those butt-kissers at Wired News:

http://macobserver.com/article/2005/03/09.13.shtml

Loving all this drama!
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I haven't tried this piece of ripoffware, but can anyone corroborate their 70%-80% speed of the host PC? I think this is simply impossible to be honest.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello,

Any speed claims are "slightly" exaggerated!

It seems to be a bit faster then PearPC, especially if you consider CherryOS to be emulating a G4. Most (subjective) speed comparisons are being done with PearPC emulating a G3 in mind.

Cat_7
Bassie
Space Cadet

Post by Bassie »

Its true arben is afake, and his product too, but i've installed his thing en used my 10.3 images (just renamed extension intoo .dsk) and i must say it does not get the promised speed, but the same image is about 2x as fast working as in pearpc sdl, know very much it's a pear-stolen product, just wondering how HE gets it working faster than pear does even though now its g4-emu, pear developpers could have done this too, but why did HE at first.
Sorry can be really wrong, but I think he stole code, but had some help of development from some well-known friends.
We must just see things as they are, no matter what name, but each win in speed is welcome.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

To everyone who thinks CherryOS is faster than PearPC, set your PearPC's redraw_interval to 10 and disable networking. DONE. PearPC will be so much faster.