Guide to install Tiger with PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Guide to install Tiger with PearPC

Post by Cat_7 »

This guide is scraped together from work done by OWC and a178235, over at pearpc.net, but reshuffled to be continuous and hopefully, more readable.

You'll need PearPC running with OS X 10.1, 10.2 or 10.3 installed or access to a Mac to restore the DVD to an IMG file the first time.

1. Move the DVD image (iso or dmg) to your PearPC HD, through networking or TransMac. You need at least 2.5 gb of free space.

2. Create an empty hard disk image using this file: http://www.pearpc.net/files/macosx_3gb.rar , and set it as the secondary hard drive. Then boot PearPC with it. Give the new hard drive a name, like Tiger_HD.

3. Use the Disk Utility to restore the dmg or iso file to the partition on the secondary hard drive.
So pick Tiger_HD as target, and the dvd image as source.

4. When ready, go to Start up disk, and set your Tiger_HD as the boot drive. Shut down pearpc.

5. Now change your config file so the newly restored imaged is the primary hard drive and set up yet another new preformatted image,
from http://www.pearpc.net/files/macosx_6gb.rar, as the secondary hard drive.

6. Comment out the memory settings in your config file and set the cpu_pvr to G3 emulation (0x00088302)
Start Pearpc and when the installer shows, choose the new 6 GB disk as destination.

7. When ready, stop Pearpc and configure the secondairy hard disk as primairy in your config file.

8. Boot PearPC and you are running Tiger.

Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Is it possible to simply upgrade a 10.3 installation by booting from the DVD image?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can't boot from the dvd-image.

Cat_7
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Figures...

Well I guess I'll be doing this the long way, then. :|

Is there any way to retain all the settings of my current Panther installation without completely starting over?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There is a wizard that enables you to transfer settings. BUT, I don't know if it will work from one hd image to the other.

If so, you could try to boot tiger on ide0 master and panther on ide0 slave and see if you can transfer settings.

Also, if you've got enough disk space to spare, you can keep both versions of osx running side by side.

CV, if you have any progress to report, please do so here

Cat_7
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Well currently I can't figure out how to mount my Panther .IMG file using MacDrive in order to put the Tiger disk on it. :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello CV,

I guess it should read "transmac" You can move files into the hd image with it.

Cat_7
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Oh, you mean MacDrive can't be used? I have to get this "TransMac" program instead?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes!

Transmac offers a 30 day free download.
I didn't try opening the image for writing with MacDrive. :oops:
I used the network-option.

Cat_7
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Well if someone could answer my question about ICS that's in the Networking forum, I could do this by going the networking route, which I would greatly prefer.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I saw your question, but have no real answer.

While I do believe someone, somewhere, (in summertime) ;-) noted it was possible to change the ics -ip address, I haven't got a clue.
Maybe some Google-ing?

You could also try the proxy-methode, as described here:
http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php/How_to ... ia_a_proxy

Cat_7
galactorus
Space Cadet

[Tiger Install]

Post by galactorus »

Hi,

I followed your guide to install Tiger, but i'm confused with something...

I don't know how to set the new 3GB hard drive (that will host tiger install DVD) as a secondary drive in the pear pc config file, since the master drive is the one where panther is installed (in order to boot), and the slave is the ISO cd install of panther (in order to run disk utility...).

I realized that in the pear pc config file, we can't add a third device.

So, how to set the new drive as a secondary in PPC config file?

Thanks for help in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You start with pather hd as master and the tiger image as slave.
Then you simply copy (not restore with disk utility) the tiger image to the pather hd.
You have to have enough space on the initial pather drive to copy the tiger image onto it.

So niw you a running from the pather disk with the image of tiger on it. Then remove the slave tiger iso from the config, and make the slave point to the 3 gb image file you downloaded.

Reboot

What you end up with is 1 hd with pather running and tiger as dmg file and one empty hard disk to restore the pather dmg to with disk utility

Follow the guide from there.

Cat_7
galactorus
Space Cadet

Post by galactorus »

Cat_7 wrote:You start with pather hd as master and the tiger image as slave.
Then you simply copy (not restore with disk utility) the tiger image to the pather hd.
You have to have enough space on the initial pather drive to copy the tiger image onto it.

So niw you a running from the pather disk with the image of tiger on it. Then remove the slave tiger iso from the config, and make the slave point to the 3 gb image file you downloaded.

Reboot

What you end up with is 1 hd with pather running and tiger as dmg file and one empty hard disk to restore the pather dmg to with disk utility

Follow the guide from there.

Cat_7
Thanks For your help.
I copied the tiger ISO file under my panther drive.
Then, I reboot under panther with the new 3 GB HD as slave in the PPC config file, and I can see 2 hard drives in Mac OS X Panther, the one with panther, and the new 3 GB one.
Now, how can I run "Disk Utility" to do the restoring of tiger dmg file since the Panther ISO CD1 is no more in the pear pc config file???
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Ok, I've got TransMac. Now how do I mount the Panther .IMG in order to transfer files to it?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

CV: in the lower window of transmac you navigate to the img file and open it. I suggest you search for the desktop folder or you home folder to put the tiger image in. Then drag the tiger image from the upper window to the lower window and drop it.

Cat_7
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Galactorus:

The disk utility is under utilities in the applications folder.

Cat_7
galactorus
Space Cadet

Post by galactorus »

Thank you very much for your help Cat_7 :o

I ran Tiger Installer successfully, I installed it and booted Tiger, it's working nice!!!

Thank you again! :P
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yay! I figured it out. Thanks Cat_7. :mrgreen:

I'll be attempting installation tomorrow...
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

@CV:

About transfer of settings: It seems the "migration wizard" (don't know the exact name right now) also allows you to transfer settings and files etc. from one volume (hd) to an other. So if you boot with Tiger and have Panther as slave you can use the wizard to "move in" to Tiger.

Cat_7
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

That would be awesome. :mrgreen:
lewelby
Space Cadet

Kernel panic while rebooting with Tiger on virtual HD

Post by lewelby »

hi all thanks for this guide and all the information.
Ok i've followed your guide to install Tiger with pearpc, i've installed panther then successfully restored the TigerDvd.dmg to a blank 6GB Hd image. Then i've set the cpu to G3 and the new HD as primary HD in conf file.
But each time i ran pearpc i encounter a kernel panic error message just after selecting the boot device.

Thks
lewelby
Space Cadet

Ok problem solve

Post by lewelby »

something might have been wrong with the dmg restoration, i've just retored again the dvd image and everything is working fine now.

Thanks