SoftMac Pro 9.0

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

SoftMac Pro 9.0

Post by Mac Emu »

I was bored O.K.? :wink:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/emulators/

Code: Select all

SoftMac breaking speed limits on 64-bit Windows

May 18

Inspired by the recent release of 64-bit Windows XP Pro which I've now installed on my Athlon64 system at home, I tried running various release of Gemulator and SoftMac on it. To my surprise, it didn't work. Grrrrr.

I took the most recent beta build of SoftMac 9.0 (a.k.a. SoftMac Pro) out of mothballs and debugged the problem. Turns out to be a bug on my part, making some incorrect assumptions which break on the 64-bit platform. My bad. After fixing the problems and tweaking a few performance issues (remember, SoftMac was last tuned for the Pentium 4 processor, well before the release of any 64-bit AMD or Intel processors) I gave the newly fixed SoftMac build a whirl under 64-bit Windows.

Surprise! It runs faster than ever. This little $700 Athlon 64 box SCREAMS now running Mac OS. Attached is a screen shot, showing the performance pretty much beating all but the most top end systems from last year.

Now, this really was just an experiement and I have no intention of resuming work on SoftMac any time soon.  So for the time being I apologize that the SoftMac on our web site is broken on 64-bit machines. If enough people email me to tell me they're running Windows XP 64-bit and need SoftMac support, I might tear myself away from the movies.
That is not dead which can eternal lie ...
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

Wasn't SoftMac Pro supposedly to be PowerPC compatable? Yet when I see the screenshot all I see is 68k specs. Please correct me if I am wrong, however it seems that even his PPC clames were lies all along.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Right. Right. Right.

Also notice he doesn't compare SoftMac to the speeds obtained when running Basilisk II JIT or even SheepShaver.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

What does he mean by "broken on 64-bit machines"? Is it on every 64-bit machine, or just on Windows XP x86-64?