Pearpc SDL perf

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

lewelby
Space Cadet

Pearpc SDL perf

Post by lewelby »

Hi all,
im new to pearpc, i have successfully installed both panther and Tiger with networking working. I tried many version (build) of pearpc and i have noticed that SDL version run really slowly on my computer.
Athlon XP2800+ with 1.5 GB mem and ATI9700 128Mo GPU.
Is it normal ?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Yeah, it appears to be normal. It's the same reason why the Windows port of SheepShaver is slower then the GTK Linux port.

Here's the flags I use in Cygwin to create an Athlon XP optimized ppc.exe (uses Win32 API calls instead of SDL):

./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-cpu=jitc_x86 --enable-ui=win32 --enable-debug=no CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math"
make
lewelby
Space Cadet

Post by lewelby »

Ok thank you.

and by the way thanks to all of u making such a good work.
hook
Student Driver

Post by hook »

Is your idea working on intel too???

And how can i do the changes you describe? Have i to compile the ppc new??
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

If you are referring to my post, those are the commands I enter at the Cygwin terminal prompt (after downloading the PearPC source code via CVS) to create an up-to-date build for Athlon-XP.

Cywin is a virtual Linux system that runs on Windows. The biggest difficulty is figuring out which Cygwin packages to install to allow compilation of PearPC.

http://www.cygwin.com/

You could use the following for a PIV optimized build:

./autogen.sh --enable-cpu=jitc_x86 --enable-ui=win32 --enable-debug=no CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math"
make
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

Mac Emu wrote:Cywin is a virtual Linux system that runs on Windows. The biggest difficulty is figuring out which Cygwin packages to install to allow compilation of PearPC.

http://www.cygwin.com/
There's a list on the PearPC wiki here: http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php/FAQs#PearPC_from_CVS.
Borg_Will_Rule
Tinkerer

Post by Borg_Will_Rule »

When i finish compiling i always get that white bar at the top of PPC what can i do to get rid of it?
hook
Student Driver

Post by hook »

Can someone create an new ppc for my P4 Northwood with 3Ghz and send it per E-Mail?
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Mac Emu wrote: ./configure --enable-cpu=jitc_x86 --enable-ui=win32 --enable-debug=no CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math"
make
A couple of those flags are redundant:

-pipe is already there as a default in the configure script
-fomit-frame-pointer is already included by invoking -O3 (a superset of many optimisations)

@Borg_will_rule: that white bar is a feature of Win32 builds. Try an SDL build.