SheepShaver won't boot from Mac OS 8 CD

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

SSS
Granny Smith

SheepShaver won't boot from Mac OS 8 CD

Post by SSS »

For some reason, SheepShaver won't boot from the Mac OS 8 CD. It would go to the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen, then quit. :( How do I fix this? I am using the Windows version of SheepShaver, with the GUI.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

if i remeber good, SheepShaver will only work with NewWorld ROM's, thus not letting you use anything below 8.5 (correct me if im wrong). If you want to use 8, use Basilisk II (but you wont be able to use PowerPC apps tho)
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

CFran2 wrote:if i remeber good, SheepShaver will only work with NewWorld ROM's, thus not letting you use anything below 8.5 (correct me if im wrong). If you want to use 8, use Basilisk II (but you wont be able to use PowerPC apps tho)
Darn, although I do have OS 8 installed in Basilisk II, I wanted to install it in SheepShaver to use apps that require PPC to run, but it won't work. :( Oh well.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

YOu can use Sheepshaver for Linux to use PowerPC apps in MacOS 8. Or maybe in Windows with an Old World ROM? I have never tried that, so I'm not sure if it would work.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

I installed Mac OS 8.5 in SS, (it works :mrgreen:) but it runs very slow (sometimes locks up). :( I've heard SheepShaver was unstable, but I didn't think it was this unstable. :? Anyways, I'll post some screeenshots when (or if? :wink:) I can. :)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Try the Linux version, it's much more stable.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Marc wrote:Try the Linux version, it's much more stable.
I can't, I'm running Windows.

And here's the screenshot I promised. :wink:
That is not a full install, when I was installing Mac OS 8.5 it was doing it so slow I decided to stop it, and then it froze, so when I started up SheepShaver again, it booted from my HDF file. 8O
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

SSS wrote:I can't, I'm running Windows.
If you have plenty of time and effort to expend you can run the Linux version within Windows using coLinux. Not sure how nicely it works tho.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Would it be OK to open my HDF for SheepShaver in HFV Explorer and copy a file to it from Windows? I'm just wondering, I don't want my hard drive file corrupting. :wink:

EDIT: I figured that on my own (made a backup of my HDF just incase something bad happened), and it didn't corrupt my disk. :) I managed to upgrade to Mac OS 8.6, but the upgrader stopped when about 75% or so of Mac OS 8.6 was installed. I had to kill SheepShaver in Windows Task Manager, and booted up again. On the "Welcome to Mac OS" greeting, it said this:

I assumed it installed enough to work, but Mac OS didn't seem to think so. :roll: When it got to "Starting Up..." it didn't load (but I still could move the mouse in SheepShaver) so I had to kill it again. Booted it up again, locked up when Disk First Aid completed it's verification and repair process. Booted it up again. Crashed as soon as Disk First Aid started. Started it up again. Crashed after a few seconds passed when the Starting Up... bar appeared. :evil: I will try it again later, but if it doesn't work, I'll boot from my Mac OS 8.5 HDF backup (I'm lucky I did that. ;)).
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Also, is it possible to get on the internet within SheepShaver?
Silver9990
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Silver9990 »

CFran2 wrote:if i remeber good, SheepShaver will only work with NewWorld ROM's, thus not letting you use anything below 8.5 (correct me if im wrong). If you want to use 8, use Basilisk II (but you wont be able to use PowerPC apps tho)
I've used System 7.5.3-7.5.5 and OS 8.0-8.1.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Silver9990 wrote:
I've used System 7.5.3-7.5.5 and OS 8.0-8.1.
You have? On the Windows version of SheepShaver? 8O
Silver9990
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Silver9990 »

Yea, and it runs just fine.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Silver9990 wrote:Yea, and it runs just fine.
OldWorld or NewWorld ROM? :?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

It must be old world
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Marc wrote:It must be old world
I thought the Windows version of SheepShaver didn't support Old World ROMs? :?
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

AFAIK, the first New World Mac was the iMac which shipped with OS 8.1, so there is no way that a new world ROM will support System 7. I have never tried Windows SheepShaver with an OldWorld ROM, so I don't know, but I certainly don't recall anyone saying it works..
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Also, does anyone know why the color of the "Starting Up..." progress bar never changes even though I changed the accent color in the Appearance control panel.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I think it might be that the starting up progress bar starts before the apperance extension is loaded into memory.
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

Guys, do we need maybe an iMac ROM image to run something this high? maybe this would give Mac OS > 9 a lift. I know this because I have a Mac fan with an iMac and it ran at least a Mac OS 9.2 which I assume; I have to check that out.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

SheepShaver doesn't emulate an MMU, which is required for Mac OS versions later than 9.0.4. So the only versions you can run in SheepShaver (at least for the Windows version) is 8.5 to 9.0.4.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Re: History

Post by ataxy »

circle60236 wrote: I believe that this is an event that should be noted in the history books.
man i am sorry to say this but something should be done to get rid of those useless post
Silver9990
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Silver9990 »

SSS wrote:So the only versions you can run in SheepShaver (at least for the Windows version) is 8.5 to 9.0.4.
Not true, I have run 7.5.3, 7.5.5, 8.0, and 8.1. As for the ROM I'm using, I have no idea what it is.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

We should have a comprehensive Mac emulation help file (bible) to go along with this forum.

See http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewto ... 7&start=25 for a list of PowerMacs that should contain the magical 4 MB Old World ROM that allows running 7.5.2 to 8.1 with a varying degree of stability\buginess issues on SheepShaver (for Windows).

BTW: Are there any PPC programs out there that require an OS pre-8.5? Or is it just for the thrill of getting it to work? Or maybe no access to a post-OS 8.1 CD for some people.

These are the Mac emulators I've used that are still being developed, along with the Mac OSes that they run (to the best of my knowledge):

Mini-vMac (under OS 7.5.5)
Basilisk II 68k (6.0.8-7.0*, 7.0.1-8.1, but not 7.1 or 7.5.2)
SheepShaver (7.5.2-8.1**, 8.5.x-9.0.4)
PearPC (10.1?-10.4?)

*Requires Basilisk II V0.8 Build 94 or earlier and a 256k Mac Classic ROM. Running Macintosh operating systems earlier then 6.0.8 might be possible.
**Requires Old World ROM from a PowerMac with TNT or Alchemy architecture.