Unable to mount SCSI

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bb_bb

Unable to mount SCSI

Post by bb_bb »

Hi,

I would really like to use Basilisk's SCSI emulation feature to make one of my harddisks available in MacOS as a SCSI harddisk. (The software I want to use requires a proper IDE or SCSI harddisk to be installed.)

I also tried to do it with a CD-ROM drive, again with no success.
MacOS simply doesn't recognize it.

I tried SCSI mounting utilities but I received error messages.

Could someone please help me??

I have Windows XP, ASPI layer recently updated.

Thanx
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

SCSI

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Somehwre on this site there was a link to an article on how to do this, but the author did warn that you could risk losing all information on the drive as it wasn't a stable feature.

Also, you need to keep in mind that even though the Mac OS will support SCSI Disks, not all SCSI disks are supported by all 68K Models. I know this from trying to put a PC SCSI disk in my Centris 660av and it rejecting it, no matter what I tried.

What you need to do is replace the Model and ID of your drive you are using (Both CD and HD) in the Basilisk II GUI. In the SCSI tab you first enable SCSI, then select from the lower section what devices you want to add. In the SCSI panel you will also find a section where you can specify a device and change it's parameters.

Under "replace this:"

You select the device source, then go to the section "by this" and enter the new Vendor name and Model Number for it. I am unsure of what to use for the hard drive, but a CD info I use are Vendor: "Matsh!ta" and Product: "CD-ROM CR-8004".

If you post in the http://www.68kmla.com forums, there are many actual 68k users who can quickly look up the vendor names and product numbers on thier hard drives. You could also do a google search but it's harder to find.

Keep in mind that even after you set the ID's properly using Basilisk GUI Mac OS may still not recognize the device unless you run a proper utility on it. And also keep in mind that you must remove all partitions and logical drives from this drive you wish to add, otherwise it will be mounted in windows and Mac OS will try to write to it. This will have varied results, none of them pretty. If you use the dos versions of Windows, just run fdisk. If you use XP or NT, use the disk manager to remove all partitions and logical drives.

Once you enable the SCSI drive and Mac OS sees it, you will need to be sure to use the correct utility for it. There are some hacked versions of DiskSetup and like utilities, although if you can get a hold of these two utilities, you should be all set:

CD-ROM SpeedTools & SilverLining.

Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your help. However, there's still no success.

So far, I managed to do the following:
DriveSetup and MountEverything on MacOS recognise my disk but can't format it. DriveSetup says it's writing partitions but then suddenly stops saying it cannot initialize it because of an error.

Could you tell me where can I find a copy of SilverLining?

Thanx
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I have had no experience using a SCSI drive under Basilisk II, but there are a few posts about it on the Basilisk II forum.

You need to run FDISK and delete all partitions on the SCSI drive.

I'm not sure on this step: either you have to use the Disk tab or the SCSI tab to add the SCSI drive (probably SCSI).

Then run Apple HD SC Setup under Basilisk II and initialize the drive which will then be mounted.

Post by Guest »

Thank you guys but nothing worked so far.

Now once more to make it clear: I have no real SCSI disk, what I want to do is to mount an IDE drive in MacOS as SCSI.

Any idea is welcome!

bb_bb
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

Note: this is a very bad idea.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Damn it. You never said it was an IDE drive. People are occassionally trying to setup SCSI hard drives under Basilisk II, but never IDE drives as SCSI. You can mount partitions under 2 GB using the BasiliskIIGUI disk tab, then format them HFS/HFS+, but I really don't think you'll ever get an IDE drive to show up as a SCSI drive.
rob_squared
Carpe Nox

Post by rob_squared »

I did, but it nearly destoryed my computer.
See above note.