Good ISO, but not good enough...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

SAK `
Tinkerer

Good ISO, but not good enough...

Post by SAK ` »

I obtained a copy of Mac OS 8.5 installer CD, but it was a bloody DMG. I used UltraISO to convert to the ISO image and then ran it with SheepShaver. Then I got the sample shot above.

An ISO is supposed to function exactly like a CD-ROM, so what's the point here? So far, I used TransMac to identify the ISO and it did have some free space available, so 80% of my gut instinct believes that the free space of the ISO is more likely the reason Mac OS 8.5 stops itself in the Welcome screen. Perhaps, I might start looking for programs that would fix and/or resize ISO and HDD images.

$.@.K.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Looks abit odd.
Can you put it on a CD and try to boot it?
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

I burned the ISO (with the unnecessary free space) straight to a CD and booted it from there... same thing! I am still looking for image resizers and/or maybe "virtual" CD burning programs where content on a Mac can be burned to an ISO on Windows and then that ISO burned to a CD. Whatever this is, looks more critical than I thought.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I just copied an OS8.5 disk. Perhaps if you can't get it to work, I could send you a copy of mine? (or you could get one from somewhere else).

Mine might not work properly because the original disk was really scratched.
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

umm, okay! please "privately" hook me up with what you got (an ISO of 8.5 that can work). it's cool. 8)
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

I obtained a valid copy of Mac OS 9.0.4 and ISO image made out of it! But I get that same bootup error screen as it appears on 8.5! Now I am thinking, is there a Windows Program that fixes the ISO image and removes the free space out of it making it the image as a whole and not any free space? I assume this is strictly the reason!
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Not entirely sure what could be wrong here. Have you tried using different ROMs?

I doupt it would be the free space that is causing the problem, but it could be.

Have you tried booting direcly from the CD, or does SS/Win not support that?
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

Hmmm... I became comfortable with making ISO images off of CD's so I don't use SS's CD feature. I tried both and nothing good happened.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

The error does not lie in the ISO. If the ISO was bad in any way, it wouldn't boot at all. Whoever made that DMG did a botch job. Mac OS 8/9 Installer CD's are very sensitive, and Mac OS X is the worst place to duplicate them unless a person is using Toast.

The Mac OS versions that are used on Bootable CD's are designed to detect if they have been copied from the CD to a hard drive etc. That's what it is telling you, that the System Folder isn't on the original media. The same message would show up if you took say a Mac OS 9 Installer CD, booted your Mac and just dragged the System Folder from your boot CD on your hard disk.

The good news is that despite the fact that the boot section of this CD won't work, the actual installer files should be just fine. You just need to find a way to boot the Mac and start installing.

In regards to Mac OS 9.0.4, I suspect the same issue is affecting it. Somehow during the image proccess, the files are not being copied correctly. The best way to get a Mac OS Installer CD is by a Toast file, much more reliable. Toast knows the Mac OS filesystems inside out and stores everything required.
xserve
Student Driver

Post by xserve »

Perhaps the PearPC HD Resizer...