filesystem

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

bobbens
Space Cadet

filesystem

Post by bobbens »

do you have to have a hard drive with HFS or HFS+ filesystem to get this to work? Can the emulator run on ext3? My hard drives are pretty full and i'm going to have a hell of a time trying to make room for a HFS partiton.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, you don't need a separate partition. You can use a hard file that gets formatted as HFS.

If you use the gui you can create a hard file from that.

And so, yes it runs on ext3, but not as native filesystem ;-)

Cat_7
bobbens
Space Cadet

Post by bobbens »

Hi,

No, you don't need a separate partition. You can use a hard file that gets formatted as HFS.

If you use the gui you can create a hard file from that.

And so, yes it runs on ext3, but not as native filesystem Wink
aaah didnt know that. Spent 7 hours yesterday preparing my drive for a format to make room for a small 2 gigish partition in HFS. Anyways its good that i did it, since my partition table was sorta messed up (and had 25 gigs of free unaccessible space). Anyways, i think ill test this hard file system, see if it works. If it does i wont need to make a seperate partition so i wont have trouble later on. Anyways it got my lazy ass to finally fix my hard drive, also taking the opportunity to remake my distro. Thanks for the advice, going to test it now.