how to capture rom in mac os x?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

initialxy
Space Cadet

how to capture rom in mac os x?

Post by initialxy »

well, same as title.
How to capture NewWorld ROM in Mac OS X?
Since both mac_os_rom_updater and TomeViewer are Mac OS Classic application. Is there a way to get the ROM out of OS X?

Thank you!!
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I used the CopyROM programme, but it ran it in classic environment. I'm not sure if it works properly that way.

I suggest you boot from MacOS8 or 9 (using a boot CD if it isn't installed) and then load the rom grabber programme.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If I am not mistaken, if you want to use SheepShaver you must also have a 8.5 or 9.0 CD. So just take the Mac OS Rom file from it.

Best wishes,
Cat_7
initialxy
Space Cadet

Post by initialxy »

thanks guys i appreciate your help.

yes, i do have a good legal mac 9 cd.
you mean i can get the rom out of mac os 9 installation CD?

i upgraded my mac to OS X and i don't really want to install os 9 in my machine again.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I think the rom file is in the system folder on the MacOS 9 cd.

Just mount the cd and copy the file to your SheepShaver folder.

Best wishes
Cat_7
initialxy
Space Cadet

Post by initialxy »

wow thanks! that was easy!
there really is "Mac OS ROM" is the system folder.
i copied and pasted it into sheepshaver folder and edited the preference file.

however, now it shows me a blank window and an error message that says "Unsupported ROM type" and quits. my cd's mac os 9.0 so it should be supported. then what does this message mean?
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

initialxy wrote:wow thanks! that was easy!
there really is "Mac OS ROM" is the system folder.
i copied and pasted it into sheepshaver folder and edited the preference file.

however, now it shows me a blank window and an error message that says "Unsupported ROM type" and quits. my cd's mac os 9.0 so it should be supported. then what does this message mean?
Try renaming the ROM file to macosrom.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

SheepShaver expects the rom file to be called ROM, unless you specify something else in the config file.

You could copy your sheepshaver_prefs here, so we might be able to figure out whats wrong.

Best wishes
Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

To get the ROM dump from your Mac, boot off a Classic CD and run GetROM (available from Basilisk II). On a New World Mac, I'm uncertain what this will give you. Old World Macs will give you a 4 MB ROM that "might" support running OS 7.5.2 to 8.1.

To get the ROM out of the Apple Mac OS ROM Update 1.0, boot off a Classic CD and use TomeViewer, etc. It appears this is the only ROM image that is truely supported by SheepShaver at the moment.

Trying to boot SheepShaver using the ROM from my Universal OS 9.0.4 CD gives me an "unsupported ROM" error.

Trying to boot SheepShaver using the ROM from my Universal OS 8.5 CD gives me a black screen that quickly pops in and then out of existance with SheepShaver terminating.
initialxy
Space Cadet

Post by initialxy »

ok now it finally worked!! i expand the Mac ROM Update and got the desired Mac ROM file. Now it works perfectly!!

i guess sheepshaver doesn't support mac os 9.0 rom but it works with mac os 9.0 os.

thanks for the tips!!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Mac Emu wrote:Old World Macs will give you a 4 MB ROM that "might" support running OS 7.5.2 to 8.1.
I have successfully used SheepShaver with a 4MB ROM and ran os 8.6. I'm unsure about the Windows version of SheepShaver though, been out of the loop recently.