Trying to get MacOS 8.1 with Extensions to work.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Alyssachanpc
Space Cadet

Trying to get MacOS 8.1 with Extensions to work.

Post by Alyssachanpc »

It works, but I cannot boot with the extensions on. I'm using a ROM from my Performa 6300. I tried booting 7.5.3 but it crashes..
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

are you talking about basilisk or sheepshaver
Alyssachanpc
Space Cadet

Post by Alyssachanpc »

I have Sheepshaver 2.3 and I'm talking about Sheepshaver. I still couldn't get it booting even with the extensions off.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

ok well thats your problem sheepshaver will boot 8.6 to 9.0.4 basilisk will boot 7.5.3 to 8.1, also take note that sheepshaver linux is alot more stable and complete then the window port and i think but i aint sure that its the same for basilisk
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

SheepShaver will boot older Mac OSes too as long as you use an appropriate Old World ROM like Alyssachanpc is using.

Mind you, I don't know how much Gwenole wants to support the older OSes.

Alyssachanpc: What I did under Mac OS 7.6.1 is move all my extentions into a temp folder and rebooted to make sure I could get to the desktop with all the control panels enabled. Then I started moving a few extensions at a time back into the extensions folder and rebooted each time to make sure those extensions allowed SheepShaver to get to the desktop. (I could have used the Now Startup Manager to pinpoint the failing extension, but did it manually instead. Conflict Catcher could do the same.)

I currently have almost all 7.6.1 extensions and 3rd party (like Now Utilities and Stuffit Deluxe 5.5) enabled and can even surf the Internet using the NAT\Router. I just have a few more extensions to move back into the extensions folder before finding out what caused SheepShaver to originally quit on me without disabling all extensions.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Mac Emu wrote:SheepShaver will boot older Mac OSes too as long as you use an appropriate Old World ROM like Alyssachanpc is using.

Mind you, I don't know how much Gwenole wants to support the older OSes.

Alyssachanpc: What I did under Mac OS 7.6.1 is move all my extentions into a temp folder and rebooted to make sure I could get to the desktop with all the control panels enabled. Then I started moving a few extensions at a time back into the extensions folder and rebooted each time to make sure those extensions allowed SheepShaver to get to the desktop. (I could have used the Now Startup Manager to pinpoint the failing extension, but did it manually instead. Conflict Catcher could do the same.)

I currently have almost all 7.6.1 extensions and 3rd party (like Now Utilities and Stuffit Deluxe 5.5) enabled and can even surf the Internet using the NAT\Router. I just have a few more extensions to move back into the extensions folder before finding out what caused SheepShaver to originally quit on me without disabling all extensions.
ah i didnt know it was able to boot earlyer os
Alyssachanpc
Space Cadet

Post by Alyssachanpc »

It works now. Thank you...