Mac OS 8.5 public petition signing

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

SAK `
Tinkerer

Mac OS 8.5 public petition signing

Post by SAK ` »

I been googling through websites and then I came across a public demand forcing Apple to release 8.5.1 to those that still run older Power Macs including those that are pratically in the NewWorld category. Hopefully I am talking about machines that stood after the 680x0 and before iMac, PowerPC G3/G4/G5, ect. There were about 10,280 signatures on this petition last time I checked. Perhaps this petition is making Apple have a lot riding on their shoulders, even if they don't know it.

[ Link ]

$.@.K.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I highly doubt Apple would do such a thing...

I know Microsoft and Apple are two different companies, but I'm pretty sure I don't see the big M.S. offering it's Windows 95 Operating System for free.... and it's about as old as Mac OS 8.1. And what's more? MS isn't even offering Windows 3.x either!

If you ask me, as great as the old Classic systems were/are, hardly any software is being developed for it... and if users of legacy Macintoshes still want to squeeze out more life out of their investment but don't want to pay $100+ for a full retail version of an already out-dated Mac OS, then i honestly think they should either make the jump to Linux or see about getting a more powerful, used Mac that'll run OS X.

But then again, i completely see where you're coming from. Users of Mac OS 7.5.5 or lower are left completely behind when it comes to options for basic compatibility with most modern advances....

1) web browsing.... most webpages today don't even show up right in MSiE 4.x and even the newer versions of iCab has a cut-off (only users of Mac OS 9.2.2 will get the full ability to correctly view web pages with extensive use of Unicode)

2) bug fixes..... 'nuff said

3) cross-compatibility/networkability with other newer platforms (Mac OS 9-X, Windows 9x-XP)

However, on the other hand, Macintoshes that are as old as 7.x are most likely not even fast enough to run modern ports of popular software, whatever they may be. (obviously i'm not counting accelerated macs)

(EDIT: if anything, they should've added Mac OS 8.6 to the petition!)
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

I dunno, but LowEndMac.com and it's people opened that petition a long time ago and already their site has been enlisted in Google search results. I feel that maybe more signatures might come from here if so. But no matter what, I think Apple still has a pretty good bit riding on their shoulders.

$.@.K.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Microsoft havn't even released Windows 1 or DOS yet, never mind Windows 95.

There was a petition ages ago to get apple to release OS8.1, and they ignored it.
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

Normally, most petitions, depending on how serious one can be, can actually be submitted to a federal government agency or even U.S. Congress. Would that have any effect on Apple? To me, there is no telling, but that's federal stuff right there if I'm correct. And then the people of lowendmac.com did everything it could to be a hero but failed. :P No offense, lowendmac, you guys over there are doing a great job. :wink: You guys work on old Apple machines while we turn around and emulate them on Windows/Linux/Apple X86.

:lol:
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

As MacOS belongs to apple, it is up to apple what software they release. So sending the petition to the government *shouldn't* have any effect, but I could be wrong.

It's probably not worth the hassle.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Let's hope so.

Well, depends on when the licenses expire. If it's soon, then great. If it's not for ages, then :(
SAK `
Tinkerer

Post by SAK ` »

ahh, licenses... I mean, licenses are like batteries in most cases. they last for a certain long time frame and then when the battery finally dies, the license simply expires. let's see if that Energizer Bunny is still going now, heh heh... :twisted:

$.@.K.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Energiser bunny? I thought it was duracell who has bunnies. 8O
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

this is off topic -> but it's too bad there are no energizers nor duracells for the mac... :( gotta stick to RadioShack...
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

Well I thought it was because the the graphics on Mac OS 8-9 used something that they licensed from Adobe (truefont or something). Because of this Apple could not give it away without paying Adobe some fees.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

what? the Adobe Type Manager extension/control panel? 8O

it can't possibly be OpenType because that doesn't come around until OS X....
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

No, I guess this is about apple using an adobe invention for painting the whole desktop (pdf-based?), not only for font rendering (atm)
I believe this was contemplated for OSX but not used.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Wasn't the whole licensing thing about Rhapsody? I thought it had nothing to do with the classic Mac OS. Isn't it the reason they made Quartz?