german keyboard layout in SheepShaver (OSX)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Skywalker
Space Cadet

german keyboard layout in SheepShaver (OSX)

Post by Skywalker »

Hi,

I installed a german Mac OS 9.0.4 on SheepShaver (MacOS X) but I have always a english keyboard layout.
In MacOS 9 setup is german keyboard layout.

I think, I must setup SheepShaver to german keyboard layout, but I don't know, how can I make it?

greetings,
Bernd
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. You must use a keycodes file. The file should have been in the most recent (may 2006) SheepShaver download, but it is not.
You can use the one that is in the BasiliskII download, linked from this page. Place the file "BasiliskII_keycodes" anywhere it is convenient, for instance in your SheepShaver folder. In SheepShaverGUI, Keyboard/Mouse tab, check "Use Raw Keycodes" and enter the path to the keycodes file (or use the 'Browse' button to do that). SheepShaver will now properly use any keyboard lay-out.

2. In MacOS in SheepShaver you can choose the layout that matches your actual (hardware) keyboard in "Keyboard" or "Keyboard and Mouse" control panel (I do not know the name in a German system). Check the box next to the flag that corresponds with your keyboard. If you use a keyboard with American English lay-out, check the 'American' box. A new menu (with flag icon) will appear in the menu bar with the checked lay-outs from which you can select the desired one.
Skywalker
Space Cadet

Post by Skywalker »

Thanx, work's fine now :-)

Btw: I have a second question:

On SheepShaver start, SheepShaver crash and in the crash log is following:

--- cut ---

Date/Time: 2006-12-28 16:40:41.627 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.8 (Build 8L127)
Report Version: 4

Command: SheepShaver
Path: /Users/bernd/Desktop/SheepShaver-2.3/SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver
Parent: SheepShaverGUI [8548]

Version: ??? (2.3)

PID: 8551
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x40810000

Thread 0 Crashed:

--- paste ---

But the strange is: SheepShaver does't end after the crash!
I can use SheepShaver normal.

Why this?

Greetings,
Bernd

P.S. Happy new year to all users here!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I know, SheepShaver crashes each time it is launched but still continues running. It happens always and to anyone in MacOSX, on both PPC and Intel. Just dismiss the dialog and ignore it. Hopefully someone will correct this in a future version.
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:It happens always and to anyone in MacOSX, on both PPC and Intel.
Hmm, it doesn't happen to me on Mac OS X Intel, only PPC. Strange.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, on intel mac it doesn't crash. But did you compile your own version, or are you using the official download?

Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Myrd wrote:Hmm, it doesn't happen to me on Mac OS X Intel, only PPC. Strange.
My mistake. It crashes on my PPC PowerBook G4 and I thought that I read that it did so on Intel. Apparently not.