ASIO smazio. Causes system freeze when Prosoniq starts.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

simonb
Space Cadet

ASIO smazio. Causes system freeze when Prosoniq starts.

Post by simonb »

When I try and run Prosoniq Studio Power Bundle, downloaded from http://products.prosoniq.com/cgi-bin/re ... il&refno=9, I either get a system freeze if I use a PowerMac 7200 ROM or it complains it can't find any sound driver if I use a Mac OS8.6 supplied ROM.

I am using a dual-Athlon64 PC. I have Sheepshaver installed on Mandriva 2007 64-bit from the supplied SheepShaver-2.3-0.20051130.1mdk rpm. I have installed Mac OS 8.6 with all default options.

I use the "Sound" control panel to enable the sound when using the Mac OS 8.6 ROM. Speech and system beeps work but there doesn't seem to be any sound input device, only output, and Prosoniq complains it can't find any sound device.

With the 7200 ROM, sound works and the Sound control panel also shows an input device, but as soon as Sonic Worx loads the ASIO driver, the MacOS system freezes and one of my CPUs maxes out at 100% load. I have to kill Sheepshaver.

I tried removing the ASIO driver to see if I could coax Sonic Worx to function without it but alas, it insists on using it.

Anyone know how I might be able to get this thing to work? Do I need to try another ROM (I haven't found any others yet)? Are there other ASIO drivers I can try?

Regards
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is no audio hardware available in SheepShaver. All devices are emulated, so it's "normal" a driver can't find a real device.

But I downloaded your application and tried it. It seems to run well. I can copy f.e. an audio track from a cd in OSX to MacOS 9 and edit it with SonicWorX. After saving it, I can copy it to OSX (in my case) and run it in i-Tunes. So editing and moving the file twice didn't break the format.
I can, however, not play the file inside MacOS9.

Hope this helps somehow,

Best wishes,
Cat_7
simonb
Space Cadet

Post by simonb »

Hmmm. But shouldn't an emulator pretend to be the hardware with enough cunning that the guest software & drivers can't tell it apart from the real thing?

I'll try one or two other ROMs then the next step in this quest is to try MacOS X on PearPC. However I am less keen on that idea since it is a much larger resources overhead on the host OS to get Prosoniq working.
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

simonb wrote:Hmmm. But shouldn't an emulator pretend to be the hardware with enough cunning that the guest software & drivers can't tell it apart from the real thing?
Sure. Feel free to submit the necessary code changes to SheepShaver to achieve this behaviour. ;)
simonb
Space Cadet

Post by simonb »

Myrd wrote: Sure. Feel free to submit the necessary code changes to SheepShaver to achieve this behaviour. ;)
Thanks.

I was just questioning what appeared to me to be the notion that emulation was somehow inherently unable to emulate.

I don't know why I don't feel so free to submit the code to fix it. I mean, what's stopping me? It's as easy as falling off a log ;-)
tomax
Space Cadet

Post by tomax »

get this, it is a driver that is supposed to be for Classic under OS X - but it works with SheepShaver! :)

http://www.prosoniq.com/pub/unsupported ... sio090.zip
simonb
Space Cadet

Post by simonb »

tomax wrote:get this, it is a driver that is supposed to be for Classic under OS X - but it works with SheepShaver! :)

http://www.prosoniq.com/pub/unsupported ... sio090.zip
Thanks. I downloaded it but when I uncompress the zip using Stuffit I get some weird split directories with the driver being 0 bytes and a shadow of it (starting with a double-underscore) in another directory. When I copy the double-underscore version into the Prosoniq ASIO driver folder I get a system error bomb and Mac OS restarts.

Is there some new way that MacOS handles resource forks that Mac OS 8.6 doesn't understand? How do I extract the driver in a way that Mac OS 8.6 can use it?

Regards...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The zip archive does decompress normally in MacOSX, but apparently not with Stuffit in MacOS.

I changed it into an archive that should decompress correctly using Stuffit in MacOS and I added a SimpleText version of the included rtf ReadMe to the archive.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... er.sit.hqx
simonb
Space Cadet

Post by simonb »

Well what d'ya know, it works!

Much appreciation to Ronald and Tomax for helping me get up and running with this :-)
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Ronald, thank you very much for that upload, as the Prosoniq site no longer hosts or supports any of those files. I still haven't been able to get Sonicworx playback fully working in Classic in 10.4, but this allowed me to try, so thanks.

Edit: It is still quite useful for applying effects/plugins inside the app, exporting, then playing the file outside it.
aupiccer
Space Cadet

Re: ASIO smazio. Causes system freeze when Prosoniq starts.

Post by aupiccer »

The link is not working anymore. Does the file still exist?

Thx
Arnie
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Which of the three links in this topic, which software, are you interested in?
The prosoniq site does not exist anymore and I apparently removed the asio driver file from my downloads, probably years ago.
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Have no fear, for the Wayback Machine is near.

http://web.archive.org/web/201606261623 ... er.sit.hqx

Extracts fine using BetterZip.
aupiccer
Space Cadet

Post by aupiccer »

Perfect!
:smile:
Thank you very much!
hiroshige
Space Cadet

Post by hiroshige »

so anyone got this working? i need to send audio from out of os9 into os9 and bounce it through sonicworx that possible already?