Crashes on startup.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Crashes on startup.

Post by hebejebelus »

I had OS 9 up and running for a full 24 hours, and now it refuses to run. It freezes when I start up. The clock shows on the menubar, and then... nothing. Hello, by the way.
Myrd
Granny Smith

Post by Myrd »

Does it work when you boot with extensions disabled? (by pressing Shift at the start of the boot sequence)
hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Post by hebejebelus »

Nope. It wont work from the CD, and I tried replacing the ROM, but no. It just gets stuck.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It would help if gave more detailed information.

- Do you use SheepShaver on Windows, on Linux, on MacOSX PPC, on MacOSX Intel?
- Which build of SheepShaver do you use?
- You had MacOS9 running for 24 hours. Did you shut down the virtual machine properly after that?
- Startup (from the installed system?) now apparently stops while starting the Finder (menu bar with clock appears but there it stops). This could be caused by a corrupted Finder Preferences file.
- What do you mean when you write "It wont work from the CD"? Did you try to start up from the CD? How did you do that? Exactly what does not work and how?
hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Post by hebejebelus »

Sorry. I'm new here. I use it (OS 9) on mac os x intel. I got the install isk and booted it from that. still nothing. It hangs on the clock, just as you said. However, i installed an OS 8.5, which does work. Sheepshaver 2.3
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

hebejebelus wrote:I got the install isk and booted it from that. still nothing. It hangs on the clock, just as you said.
How did you force SheepShaver to boot from the install CD? (When a volume with installed system is available, SheepShaver will always boot from that volume unless you set in SheepShaverGUI "Boot From" to "CD-ROM" and launch SheepShaver from the GUI.)

Do you mean that booting from the install CD stalls at the very same moment (when the menu bar appears with the clock) as booting from the installed system does? If that is so, that would be very odd indeed.

If this is indeed the case, try deleting the ".sheepshaver_nvram" file by choosing "Zap PRAM File" from the File menu in SheepShaverGUI. (Note that in SheepShaverGUI the File menu is at the top of its window.)
hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Post by hebejebelus »

I moved the disk image. Yeah. It stalls at the same spot. The CD background comes up, and nothing. It does work with 8.5, as mentioned above.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am sorry, but you get me completely confused.

What does and what does not work?

Does a 8.5 CD still boot correctly? Does a 8.5 installed volume still boot correctly? Does a 9 CD (9.0 or 9.0.4?) not boot correctly now, but did that same CD boot correctly before? Did you indeed have a MacOS 9 (9.0 or 9.0.4?) installed system run for 24 hours in SheepShaver? Was that OS installed from that very same MacOS 9 install CD?
hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Post by hebejebelus »

8.5 works in its entirety, from a disk, and from a volume made by Sheepshaver GUI. I'm not sure whether it's 9.0 or 9.0.4. That CD booted before, and doesn't now. It wasn't 24 hours, I'm not sure how long it was. About a day.

The reason I shut it down was that I tried to open Virtual PC 4.0, which crashed. I havent tried it with 8.5.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You are really giving very confusing information.

First you write:
"8.5 works in its entirety, from a disk, and from a volume made by Sheepshaver GUI"
and then you write:
"I havent tried it with 8.5."
Does 8.5 work now (and I mean "now") or doesn't it?

What was this with Virtual PC? What does that have to do with SheepShaver? Did you run SheepShaver and then launched Virtual PC? When Virtual PC crashed, did SheepShaver continue running and did you shut down MacOS in SheepShaver properly?

Have you tried deleting the ".sheepshaver_nvram" file as I suggested?

I have asked several questions, but you did not answer most of them. Like about what you do exactly to force SheepShaver to boot from the CD.

Unless the Installation CD is 9.0, it will in small print on the label indicate the exact version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

BTW: Virtual PC does not run on Intel Mac. There are better solutions for running Windows on Intel Mac.
hebejebelus
Space Cadet

Post by hebejebelus »

First you write:
"8.5 works in its entirety, from a disk, and from a volume made by Sheepshaver GUI"
and then you write:
"I havent tried it with 8.5."

8.5 works.

I havent tried Virtual PC with 8.5.

What was this with Virtual PC? What does that have to do with SheepShaver?

I tried to run Virtual PC 4.0 on OS 9.0 through Sheepshaver.
9.0 then crashed.
I then force quitted it.

8.5 works.

To boot from the CD, I moved the disk image of 9.0. Created a new one, and then booted from the CD with this. It crashed at the clock in the menu bar.

I zapped the .sheepshaver_nvram file, without any noticeable change.

However, It makes no difference to me whether I use 9.0 or 8.5, as Corel Photopaint works on both.

I'm very sorry for the short answers.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, so I understand that OS9 crashed. The crash may very well have caused damage to the OS9 volume (disk image), but I understand that you do not use that file anymore. Did you create a new disk image using SheepShaverGUI (or SheepShaverPrefs)?

SheepShaver itself and the ROM file should not have changed. If you use the same ROM file as before with OS9 it is very strange that you can now boot from the 8.5 CD and not anymore from the 9.0 CD.

Do you have a utility that can make invisible files visible in the Finder? Then open the file ~/.sheepshaver_prefs in TextEdit, copy the content and paste it here, so we can study your settings.