Mac OS 9 no longer boots up in regular mode

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

SSS
Granny Smith

Mac OS 9 no longer boots up in regular mode

Post by SSS »

Hi,

I recently installed a copy of Mac OS 9 in SheepShaver. One time, I used it, and it froze, so I had to force quit SheepShaver. Now, it'll boot, but when it gets to the desktop, it does nothing. I can however, boot with Extensions Off, and the desktop shows just fine. How can I fix this problem? I haven't installed any new programs or extensions, this is a fresh installation of OS 9.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Probably a corrupted preference file. You can try to figure out which of the files is corrupted and remove that one, or you can simply remove all preference files and set all preferences and control panel settings again.

After booting with extensions off, you can move files out of the Preferences folder or move the entire Preferences folder out of the System folder and restart.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

Thanks, that worked. :)

Also, do you know how I can configure OS 9 to get on the internet using SS's NAT/Router feature? I configured the TCP/IP control panel in OS 9 the same way I did in OS 8.5 to make it work - but it doesn't work in OS 9 for some reason. :(
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

That's my situation too.... that's why i just ditched OS 9 and reverted to 8.6. :?