Basic Help from the Start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

deleted
Space Cadet

Basic Help from the Start

Post by deleted »

Alright, I have:

- SheepShaver
- Rom 1.0
- OS9 Installer Disk
- SimTower (A game)

So I manage to get SheepShaver to bootup off the CD and I'm up and running that basic version of OS9 that they put on these install CD's. I navigate on the Unix drive on the desktop to the SimTower game on my HD and..

Three things -

SimTower gives me a message saying 'There is not enough memory to open "SimTower" (zero K needed, 235996 K available). How do I resolve this?

Secondly, could someone give me a step by step idots guide to get a bootable OS to run off the HD so I don't need to have the CD in the drive?

Thirdly, if I have OS 9 installed on an old machine and am able to connect to it via ethernet is it possible to copy this over the network into a bootable source on my OSX HD? If possible, ignore above question and explain how I'd do that (idiot friendly please).

Thanks in-advance.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You should start with installing MacOS. It should be installed on disk image file that will appear on the MacOS desktop as a volume.

Here is a topic where I explained it step by step for MacOS 8.5. Most of it applies to MacOS 9.0
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3179
deleted
Space Cadet

Post by deleted »

Excellent, thank you Ronald. I had done a search for help but none of the topic titles stood out that they'd provide the information.

Anyway, I'm up and running and it's all good accept one more thing (hopefully)..

To have it recognize a CD in the computer on the old OS do I always need to Add it to the Volumes list in SheepShaver Settings before I startup?

Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

No, it does not need to be in the volumes list. When a CD is mounted in MacOSX, SheepShaver will see it and mount it on the MacOS desktop. If that does not work, try mounting the CD in MacOSX before you start SheepShaver.

Note: Do not unmount a CD (not in MacOS and not in MacOSX) while SheepShaver is running, SheepShaver will freeze if you do that.
deleted
Space Cadet

Post by deleted »

I'll continue to post any problems I personally have here instead of starting up new threads:

Loading up Caesar 3 in 8.5 and it seemed to take a disliking to quicktime files but I was able to get past the start menus before it just froze up.

So I've updated the OS to 8.6 and Quicktime to v.5 now and when I run Caesar 3 it loads up, first movie that was skipped before plays for about a second and then SheepShaver gives me a error msg:

Your Mac program made an illegal word write access to address 0x259d01x. (pc0x2d255ac4, 68k pc 0x0, sp 0x2f1c65d0)

Wondering if that makes sence to anyone otherwise I'll ignore it and give up with this old game.

Thanks again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You could try to check the option "Ignore illegal memory accesses" in SheepShaverGUI, Memory/Misc tab, but it will probably not help to play the game.

Unrelated but important: If you updated to 8.6, make sure "Font Manager Update" version 1.0 is present in the Extensions folder.
If it isn't, download it here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60444 and follow the included instructions for repair and installation.