Disk Copy Locked

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Student Driver

Disk Copy Locked

Post by 3133 »

My Basilisk 11 install of 7.5.3 went fine, but came off the rails when I tried to update to 7.5.5. I got the Disk Copy (ver 6.3.3) icon on the desktop, double clicked to open it, but when I tried to configure it I got the message:

"Disk Copy could not update the disk image driver. Please unmount all disk images and try again."

Disabled external disk access. No joy.
Increased ram disk memory to 128Mb. No joy.
Scoured the Forum for help without success so here I am - stuck and with no understanding of what's wrong. Would appreciate help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Exactly what did you try to do with Disk Copy? The 7.5.5 update is on Disk Copy disk images? Normally, if the files are intact, just double clicking the image file's icons or dragging those icons onto the Disk Copy icon will mount them.
Student Driver

Post by 3133 »

When building System7.hfv file, I placed all 19 system files into the root. Disk Copy 6.3.3.smi was placed into an Applications directory in the file. After booting, switched disks. Opened the System7 disk and double-clicked the Disk Copy file. The icon appeared on the desktop. Double-clicked the icon. File window opened. Double-clicked the icon in the window and received the error message regarding mounted disk images. Thought this may have been due to mounting my external partitions, so cancelled this. Made no difference. These were the only items I could conceive of being mounted.

The update files are in a folder as well. Double-clicking on the first of the three gives the same message.

Now at a complete loss and would appreciate your advice.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I know nothing about using BasiliskII in Windows, but as a long-time Mac user, I know how to update 7.5.3 to 7.5.5. and I know how to use Disk Copy.

I am still not sure what you are doing. It seems that you are mounting the Disk Copy.smi self-mounting image and then try to run Disk Copy from it. You need to install Disk Copy on the 7.5.3 volume by copying it from the mounted smi image.

Boot BasiliskII in System 7.5.3, mount the Disk Copy.smi image on the Mac desktop and copy the Disk Copy application from the mounted image to the System 7.5.3 "hard disk". You can then unmount the Disk Copy image. Now Disk Copy is installed in System 7.5.3 and when you have the 7.5.5 disk images also available on the 7.5.3 volume, double clicking those images will mount them on the Mac desktop. The system will recognise the images as Disk Copy images and double clicking the images will launch Disk Copy and Disk Copy will mount the images.

You do the update while booted in 7.5.3. Mount all the update images by double clicking, open the first one and start the update. After the update has finished, you can restart and BasiliskII will startup in 7.5.5.
Student Driver

Post by 3133 »

Your words of wisdom worked a treat and took less than a minute to achieve what I couldn't accomplish in hours. Even after all the reading I have done, I would never have fathomed out where I was going wrong. You will have realised that I know next to nothing about Macs. The reason I am emlulating 68K on a Windows box is to find a way to prepare system disks, etc, in order to revive a non-working Quadra 650 which I acquired. I have a long way to go yet, but your help has been immensely valuable and I thank you for it. I have little doubt that I will be posting further questions on this Forum. You have encouraged me to believe that answers will be forthcoming.

Again, many thanks.
Ulrich Bjohansson
Space Cadet

Re: Disk Copy Locked

Post by Ulrich Bjohansson »

Hello:
I am having a similar problem as described, however, I also am having trouble trying to understand what some of the esoteric words and their meaning. Like what is - "copy the Disk Copy application from the mounted image to the System 7.5.3 "hard disk"" - the meaning of hard disc? Is it putting something into the rectangle on the desktop labeled 7.5.3?

What in simple terms am I supposed to do in order to get an application which is segmented into 4 pages and an installer to install as a working program. I keep getting a prompt to insert the second disc, but the emulator freezes up and I can't do anything but quite the install. I read that Disc Copy is supposed to remedy this but the disc copy is not working for me. It keeps saying something about mounted discs or discs being locked. Been at it for awhile with no success. Help.

Using Basilsk II 7.5.3 on a Windows XP computer. Overall, I need to get a program called Musicshop 2 running somehow.
Ulrich
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you correctly installed System 7.5.3 following the setup guide, then the small rectangle labeled "System 7.5.3" in the upper right corner of the desktop is indeed the icon of your virtual hard disk. You ask what is the meaning of hard disk? It is difficult to explain things if you are not familiar with even the term "hard disk".

It is not clear from your question whether you succeeded in installing Disk Copy and what you are trying to install now. Apparently it is software that comes on four floppy disk images and I understand you were able to mount the first disk and start installation from this disk. Did you also mount the other three disks? It is not possible to switch disks in BasiliskII, so you need to mount all four disks before you start the installer. Often this works, but some installers insist on swapping disks.
Ulrich Bjohansson
Space Cadet

Hello: This message has been included after the next two messages and supersedes both. I'm going to leave the other messages as is because they may help someone in the future. For some reason a Disk Copy Icon appeared upon my desktop and changed the menu items of the upper menu screen. I followed the directions and the intended purpose of this exercise was achieved. The software was installed and up and running. Now the next hurdle is to figure out how to get information from a PC floppy disk. The floppy in question says it's a DS, HD 2.0 Mb. So far there seems to be no reference to anything about a floppy drive or any other drive for that matter.

Ulrich

Hi: Thanks for the prompt help. I've been using PC software for years and forgot many of the terms that pertain to the Mac LC I used back in the 90's. It wasn't a "hard disc" term that got to me, but instead the term "mount". Mount the hard-drive? Not sure what that means. In the old Dec PDP11-32 days mounting had a meaning of physically installing an assembly of 11 aluminum hard-disc in a washing machine sized hard-drive. In windows, hard drives are mounted and up and running when the computer boots.

When the Basikisk II is up and running, and with the system 7.5.3 disc symbol in the upper right, doesn't that mean the virtual disc is mounted? What else should I do if it is not.

Regarding the Disc Copy utility, I upload it to the system install.hfv file using HFVExplorer. This gives me a folder titled Disc Copy inside the virtual hard drive in the system folder. From there I pulled the folder out to the desktop, then double clicked on the icon, to get a message something about checking the software. From here I get a complicated icon on the desktop looking like a floppy disc with some sort of extra design on it.

From there I tried all sorts of means to get the software I'm trying to use to "mount". I used shift click to blacken all of the discs, then drag them over to the Disc Copy icon. I get a message that says I need to un-mount something or something is locked. Rather confusing for me.

A cook book approach would help to at least get me on the right path, at least until I get my Mac legs back.

Ulrich
Last edited by Ulrich Bjohansson on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulrich Bjohansson
Space Cadet

Hi:

More details: I found the Disc Copy 6.3.3.smi file inside the system 7.5.3 folder. I then double clicked the smi file to get the more complicated disk copy icon to appear upon the desktop. Dragging the Musicshop 2.0 folder containing installer and it's three documents onto the smi, does nothing. Dragging the same onto the complicated disc copy icon on the desktop, gives me a message that says "you cannot copy Musicshop into the disk Disk Copy because the disk is locked." I click OK and then I see the disk copy folder with a third disk copy icon and a quick reference guide, and the folder has a black padlock symbol in the upper left corner. Nothing I do seems to affect the padlock.

The same results happen if I open the Musicshop 2 folder and blacken the installer file and the three files that must correspond to the three floppy disks.

Ulrich
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The diskcopy.smi file is a self mouting image file. After you double click it, it shows an icon on the desktop. You have to double click that icon. It will open a new window. Inside you will find the actual disk copy program. Keep the window open. Then open your MacOS753 hard disk and drag the disk copy program from its window to the MacOS753 window. Close the disk copy program window but keep the MacOS753 window open.
Next, use the mouse to drag the first of your program disk images on top of the disk copy program icon. The image should then be opened by disk copy. It will appear as a new icon on your desktop. Do the same for all program disk images.
You should now have all your program disk images showing as an icon on your desktop.

Double click the first program disk image icon on the desktop. Inside the window which appears, you should find the installer for your program. Double click it and start installing.

Best,
Cat_7