BasiliskII Universal Build 05 Jan. 2008 Available

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

BasiliskII Universal Build 05 Jan. 2008 Available

Post by Cat_7 »

Get it here:

http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... 008_UB.zip

Good luck,
Cat_7

Same OOPS: building into the future now.... :lol:
Kipfi
Space Cadet

Thank you so much...

Post by Kipfi »

... for posting this link. I had used the Basilisk II OS X port by Nigel Pearson with Mac OS 10.4, but with 10.5 it did not work at all. So I was desperately looking for a replacement, and then I found your post. This version works just fine. Who coded or ported it?

It kind of looks strange to me that so nice a piece of software is hidden so much - without your post, I would have never found it.

And - sorry for all these questions - can you tell me how I could create/edit a prefs file for this version? It miracuously started with the right image, very strange.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Thank you so much...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Kipfi wrote:Who coded or ported it?
The main developer for this branch of BasiliskII applications is Gwenole Beauchesne, see:
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/basilisk2
others have contributed.
It kind of looks strange to me that so nice a piece of software is hidden so much - without your post, I would have never found it.
These recent builds are built by Cat_7 from the current state of cvs and are available only from the links here (in fact posted on the server of Cat_7's employer). In time there will no doubt be releases of new 'snapshots' by Gwenole when he is satisfied that the state of development justifies a new release.
And - sorry for all these questions - can you tell me how I could create/edit a prefs file for this version? It miracuously started with the right image, very strange.
It is not strange that BasiliskII started with the right image, it simply read the settings you edited using Nigel Pearson's version of BasiliskII.

Two ways to edit the prefs:
1. The prefs file ".basiliskii_prefs" is invisible and resides at root level in your Home folder. If you know how to do that, you can open and edit that file in a text editor (make sure it stays plain ascii text).
2. Download the release version of BasiliskII for MacOSX from Gwenole's site. In the archive you will find a separate application "BasiliskIIGUI" that gives you a interface for editing the prefs. Place it in the folder that also holds your copy of BasiliskII. Clicking the "Start" button will save the changes, will quit BasiliskIIGUI and will launch BasiliskII.
Kipfi
Space Cadet

again, thanks

Post by Kipfi »

Ronald,

thanks for this explanation, I looked at the file, now things are clearer. I did not expect a hidden file, because in the library there was also a visible Basilisk.plist file, which I had deleted after I uninstalled Nigels Version. That's why I was surprised.

Thanks again and greetings from Austria.