ClarisCAD

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Stephen Coates
Expert User

ClarisCAD

Post by Stephen Coates »

Has anyone here either used or got a copy of ClarisCAD?

I have been looking for a copy of it as I thought I would like to include it in my CAD software research for college, and I might even use it to do my drawing depending on how good it is.

I havn't been able to find much about it. What I did get quite a while ago off a hotline server is version 1 in french (with a date of 1989 on it).

I tried running it on a PowerMac 5550 and on a G4 and I get a message saying what i assume is insufficient memory. I tried running it in BasilsikII with Os 8.1 and 7.5.3 and get the same error. Does it need to be run on an older Mac? I would have tried it in vMac, but I couldn't find my old vMac files to use and couldn't be bothered to set a new one up. I will see about doing this later this week.

As far as I am aware there is a version 2 of ClarisCAD (in english). Does anyone have a copy of this or know where I could get it? If not, I would be at least interested in getting the version 1 which I have to work.

Thanks
Steve
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Re: ClarisCAD

Post by yksoft1 »

Stephen Coates wrote:Has anyone here either used or got a copy of ClarisCAD?

I have been looking for a copy of it as I thought I would like to include it in my CAD software research for college, and I might even use it to do my drawing depending on how good it is.

I havn't been able to find much about it. What I did get quite a while ago off a hotline server is version 1 in french (with a date of 1989 on it).

I tried running it on a PowerMac 5550 and on a G4 and I get a message saying what i assume is insufficient memory. I tried running it in BasilsikII with Os 8.1 and 7.5.3 and get the same error. Does it need to be run on an older Mac? I would have tried it in vMac, but I couldn't find my old vMac files to use and couldn't be bothered to set a new one up. I will see about doing this later this week.

As far as I am aware there is a version 2 of ClarisCAD (in english). Does anyone have a copy of this or know where I could get it? If not, I would be at least interested in getting the version 1 which I have to work.

Thanks
Steve
You may need to change the display to 256 or less colors
or manually increase the application's memory size.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just increasing the memory didn't make any difference, but I changed it to 256 colours and now it works. Just in a language that I can't understand. :lol:

EDIT: I managed to obtain a copy of Version 2.0 in English.
macintricks
Space Cadet

Abandoned before it had a chance

Post by macintricks »

Claris discontinued this application in the in the early '90s. They denied it ever existed. Now cast into an abandonware hell, Claris CAD is more a museum piece than it is functional. But it was so good.

Try this page.

http://clariscad.googlepages.com/index.html

Learn from the glory of what quality software once was.
Crosspass
Space Cadet

Post by Crosspass »

I have Claris Cad but it won't run in this computer. Do you know I can make it work, or maybe another program that is similar to Claris Cad. I loved how this thing worked in my old computer and I wish they would make an updated version. Any help would be appreciated.
Crosspass
Space Cadet

Post by Crosspass »

If you find an answer to your questions PLEASE forward it to me? I'm in the same boat as you are.

My email is: crosspass@aol.com

Thanks
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I've had ClarisCAD running on my old PowerBook 1400, and I'm pretty sure I had it running in an emulator. Might have been on my other PC though.

If you want a modern alternative, you might want to have a look at QCad. I've used this on Linux once of twice and it was quite easy to get going for some simple drawings. Not sure about more complex stuff though.
Silent Flamer
Master Emulator

Post by Silent Flamer »

If you're lazy to find your vMac files, you can use Mini vMac.

2.0v3 is at the Macintosh Garden, in English.