A Quark Document

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

BLBM
Student Driver

A Quark Document

Post by BLBM »

Hello.
I have a Resume created in Quark 3.3.2(Mac Version).
I'm having difficulty installing 3.3.2 on my Mac G4( for some reason).
Is it possible to open this Doc. with SheepShaver on my Windows XP Machine ?
Would I be able to update the Document or just view it ?
I'm NEW to all this and the explanation seems complicated to me.
If this is possible. Could somebody explain what software I would need to do this and HOW I would do this. (If you could) as simply as possible ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: A Quark Document

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BLBM wrote:Hello.
I have a Resume created in Quark 3.3.2(Mac Version).
When was that released? Somewhere mid-nineties? Do you know on which MacOS versions it is supposed to run? Probably 7.1/7.5.3/7.6.1. Can it run on MacOS 8/9? Wasn't QuarkXPress 3.3.2 released in separate versions for 68k and PPC Macs? Which version do you try to install? Does it need a dongle of some sort?
I'm having difficulty installing 3.3.2 on my Mac G4( for some reason).
What does that mean, "for some reason"? Doesn't the installer run at all? Do you get an error message? Which version of MacOS do you have on that G4? Is that an OS version on which QuarkXPress 3.3.2 can be installed at all? Don't you have access to a more recent version of QuarkXPress that could possibly open the file?
Is it possible to open this Doc. with SheepShaver on my Windows XP Machine ?
Would I be able to update the Document or just view it ?
SheepShaver does not open documents. SheepShaver is an emulator that can create a virtual or emulated PPC Mac on which MacOS can be installed. And on that your QuarkXPress could be installed and used, but probably not if it needs a dongle. There is also BasiliskII, which emulates a 68k Mac.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

When was that released? Somewhere mid-nineties? Do you know on which MacOS versions it is supposed to run? Probably 7.1/7.5.3/7.6.1.
Can it run on MacOS 8/9?

I' had it on my G4 running fine.I had 9.2.1 running in "Classic Mode" the Quark 3.2.1. app.I had to do a clean install which wiped it out. It was SO LONGago I DON'T remember if I installed it on the G4 OR I copied from my original PPC ( a 7100, I Think ?).
BUT... it was running fine on the G4.

Wasn't QuarkXPress 3.3.2 released in separate versions for 68k and PPC Macs?

I think you may be right. I have the PPC version.

Which version do you try to install? Does it need a dongle of some sort?

Sorry, I'm technically challenged- by a "Dongle " do you mean a switch ?
Could you explain what you mean ?

What does that mean, "for some reason"?

What I mean is : it was already installed and running fine; BUT NOW,when I tried to install it I get a message that says: I"nstallation was cancelled". Everytime I attempt to install it. I was having some problem with the Diskette portion of the download( it takes 2 diskettes and a CD-Rom to install)

Doesn't the installer run at all? Do you get an error message?

Explained above.

Which version of MacOS do you have on that G4?

OS 10.3.9 running 9.2.1 in Classic Mode.

Is that an OS version on which QuarkXPress 3.3.2 can be installed at all?

It WAS running before.

Don't you have access to a more recent version of QuarkXPress that could possibly open the file?

No, sorry. I really don't use the app. I have a resume that was created in it and I need the app. to open and update the resume.

SheepShaver does not open documents. SheepShaver is an emulator that can create a virtual or emulated PPC Mac on which MacOS can be installed. And on that your QuarkXPress could be installed and used, but probably not if it needs a dongle.

THat sound great if I could get it to work.

There is also BasiliskII, which emulates a 68k Mac.

But, my Mac is PPC. Isn't Sheep Saver for PPC'S ? Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

(When you want to quote, you can use the quote button.)

The installation may not work under MacOSX. Which model is your G4? It may be an older model that still can boot in MacOS 9. Starting 2002 the installed OS9 version was 9.2.2 and you have 9.2.1.

That would be the easiest solution, boot in 9, do the installation, boot again in OSX and use the application in Classic mode in OSX.

Edit: However, re-reading your info, I see that you also need diskettes for the installation. What kind of diskettes? 800k or 1,4MB? Your G4 does not have a floppy drive, how do you use the diskettes then?

And what do you mean with "download" in "the Diskette portion of the download"?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I can confirm that Quark Xpress 3.x will work in Classic and on OS9 on a G4, as I have used it. However, I don't have the installer, and instead, have the application's folder on a CD-R, which when I want to put it on the system, I just copy the folder accross onto the HD and it works.

BLBM, your posts are confusing me slightly, am I right in thinking that you want to open the Quark document, but cannot because you no longer have Quark installed, and cannot get it installed?
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

I can confirm that Quark Xpress 3.x will work in Classic and on OS9 on a G4, as I have used it. However, I don't have the installer, and instead, have the application's folder on a CD-R, which when I want to put it on the system, I just copy the folder accross onto the HD and it works.

Could you send the "Folder" as an email attachment ? I'd pay for your effort ?

"BLBM, your posts are confusing me slightly, am I right in thinking that you want to open the Quark document, but cannot because you no longer have Quark installed, and cannot get it installed?"

That's exactly right.
I'm having a problem with the Installer.A combination of 2 diskettes and a CD-ROM. The problem started with a Registration Disk that you had to fill out and then mail back to Quark.I've come to the conclusion that you can skip that part(I think) and just insert the installer disk(with the CD-ROM already in the DVD drive on the desktop.BUT, I get a message ( it's from the Apple OS, not Quark) "The installation was cancelled" when I try to install it !?
I've had it on my system Before I had to Clean Install.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Do you get the error message when running it in OS9 or in Classic?

I could send my copy of Quark to you in an email, but you could first try installing MacOS 7.5.3 in SheepShaver and running the installer in that. I think SheepShaver can be used in MacOSX.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

Do you get the error message when running it in OS9 or in Classic?

Both.Start-Up disk set-up to boot 9.2.1 & "9" under "Classc Mode" .

I could send my copy of Quark to you in an email, but you could first try installing MacOS 7.5.3 in SheepShaver and running the installer in that

What is the OS used to run the emulation on a PC ?
There is a download for the 7.5.3 ?

I DON'T know how to do that ? ( use SheepSaver)The tutorial post lost me.
If somebody could explain it so I could understand it.
Is it any different if I wanted to use SheepShaver on my PC running XP(Ser.Pk. 2) ? Thanks.

. I think SheepShaver can be used in MacOSX.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

To get SheepShaver set up, first, you need the following packages:

SheepShaver - http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects ... .win32.zip

SDL - http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

GTK - http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/

Install those on windows. You can then download OS7.5.3 from Apple's website. It was a while since I set sheepshaver up so I can't really say what else to do, but after you have successfully installed all those on a Windows system, we should be able to help you more.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

The last link GTK doesn't work.

The OS 7.5.3 will work on the PC ?

What is the "Public Key" ? All that Code from the link ?
What do I do with it ? Just copy & paste it somewhere ?
Thanks for your help.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

In reference to the SDL what do I download there ?
Just the Source Code ? Which one ?
Anything from the Runtime Libraries ? Thanks.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

For running sheepshaver on windows, you need the Win32 one, here http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.13-win32.zip

As for GTK, it appears that their website has issues, but as far as I can tell, this is the file you need http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gladew ... in32-2.exe. If not I have a slightly older version which works with sheepshaver.

Ignore the public key thing. Just download and install those two links.
The OS 7.5.3 will work on the PC ?
It will run in SheepShaver. If you hadn't seen it, it looks like this. This is a screenshot of MacOS 8.5 running on my computer. As you will be trying to install Quark, I recomend you use 7.5.3 instead of 8.5. We will come on to how to do this after you have got the SheepShaver package installed.
http://www.emaculation.com/screenshots/ ... aver85.jpg

Alternatively, you can run SheepShaver in MacOSX (either PPC or Intel) or Linux instead of Windows if you wanted to.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

Thanks for the help;BUT, I still don't know which one to download for the
GTK. When you click on the Forge page you get 3 groups of choices.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

OK, never mind that GTK link. Use this one instead:

http://www.emaculation.com/gtk-2.10.11-win32-1.exe

Slightly older version, but it works.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

"As you will be trying to install Quark,"

I think there may be a problem here.
I need to install the Quark Application ? I thought I could just open my Quark Document ?
My inability to Install my Quark APp on my G4 is what led me to Emaculation in the first place.
I've been trying to install Quark 3.3.2 on my G4 but I get a message "Installation has been cancelled" when I try to install.

Now, if I need to install Quark, I can't do that on my PC because the install takes 2 diskettes & a CD-ROM. My PC doesn't have a floppy drive. I could use SheepShaver on my G4 I have a USB Floppy drive but because during the install process ALL the ICONS dissappear you can't eject the disks by dragging & dropping ("the MAC way") and you get an error ejection message when you manually eject(whaich you HAVE to do) from the unit.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Ah, well, if you don't have a floppy drive, you're stuck.

Bit odd for a PC to not have a floppy drive 8O.

In that case all I can suggest is that you either find some other programme which can open Quark documenta (I will have a look into this as well), or I can send you my copy of Quark and see if that will run.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

Newer PC's don't have a Floppy Drive. My HP Media Center doesn't have one, ONLY a DVD Drive.

or I can send you my copy of Quark and see if that will run.

I'd appreciate it. I would have to Copy the Folder onto my G4 Mac Hard Drive, right. Your copy of Quark is For the MAC (I assume. Thanks for the offer.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

OK, so this is a problem with installing the application because of a problem with the floppy drive, not a problem of not being able to run (Classic) MacOS. If you have a real hardware Mac that can run MacOS, there is no need for an emulator (SheepShaver) that can imitate a Mac that can run MacOS. This is now completely off-topic, nothing to do with emulation, but let's proceed with what I think is the solution.

With your G4 you have a USB floppy drive. That floppy drive does not function the same way as the old built-in Mac floppy drives. It cannot switch disks. So you need to try this in a different way.

You best do this, and the whole installation, while booted in MacOS9.
Create disk images of the needed diskettes using DiskCopy.
Before you start installation mount both disk images.
During installation, the installer should use the mounted diskette volumes as needed.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

OK, so this is a problem with installing the application because of a problem with the floppy drive,

I'm not so sure that it's a problem with the Floppy Drive (although it may be;and I'm willing to try the advice);when the Mac gives you the message to eject the Registration disk and insert the Installation Disk you CAN just click the message and a message to insert the Installation Disk will appear; from there you are SUPPOSED to proceed to install Quark with BOTH the Installer Diskette AND the content on the CD-ROM; at THAT stage that's when I get the "Installation Is Cancelled" message.

not a problem of not being able to run (Classic) MacOS.

No it;'s not. I have OS 9.2.1 running in Classic Mode under OS 10.3.9 fine. It's INSTALLING that D...m Quark !

If you have a real hardware Mac that can run MacOS, there is no need for an emulator (SheepShaver) that can imitate a Mac that can run MacOS.

Yes, but that's IF I can ultimately install Quark.
ALSO, I thought it would be a GOOD IDEA to be able to run the APP. in emulation on my Windows PC.

This is now completely off-topic, nothing to do with emulation, but let's proceed with what I think is the solution.

Well it WOULD not be off-topic (that's WHY I came to emaculation) IF I CAN'T install Quark the orthodox way.

With your G4 you have a USB floppy drive. That floppy drive does not function the same way as the old built-in Mac floppy drives. It cannot switch disks. So you need to try this in a different way.

Yes, that seems right; BUT, I am able to click-through the Mac messages to get to the message I want and THEN insert the appropriate disk. SO.. I don't know. Is it the USB Floppy Drive OR... something else that is Cancelling the install ?

You want me to select OS 9 as the start-up disk.(I've already done that ).
DIDN'T work.

How do I do that ? Sorry but, what is "DiscCopy" ?

Sorry how do I do that ? "Mount" ?

During installation, the installer should use the mounted diskette volumes as needed.

Sorry, if you could explain further. Thanks for the effort.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

HELLO ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

BLBM wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:This is now completely off-topic, nothing to do with emulation, but let's proceed with what I think is the solution.
Well it WOULD not be off-topic (that's WHY I came to emaculation) IF I CAN'T install Quark the orthodox way.
If the installation will not succeed on a real Mac, it will certainly not succeed on a emulated Mac.
You want me to select OS 9 as the start-up disk.(I've already done that ).
DIDN'T work.
With "this" I meant of course the procedure I explained and you have NOT done that already.

How do I do that ? Sorry but, what is "DiscCopy" ?
Sorry, if you could explain further. Thanks for the effort.
Well, it seems that, although you apparently used Macs for at least 10 years or so, you do not know basic procedures or the usual terminology. DiskCopy is an application for copying disks and creating disk images that has been on any Mac with MacOS since as long as I can remember and mounting a volume (disk, partition, etc.) is (in MacOS) making it appear on the desktop. If you insert your diskette in the drive, it is mounted.

I will try to write an explanation in more detail, but I do not want to bother the other readers of the forum with what will be self-evident to most. I will send it to you in a private message here. May take some time, maybe tomorrow evening (European time)
BLBM wrote:HELLO ?
I am not sitting here watching the forums day and night. I like to try to help with computer problems, but it is not my job. I have a life outside this place. And that is true for everyone here.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
BLBM wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:This is now completely off-topic, nothing to do with emulation, but let's proceed with what I think is the solution.
If the installation will not succeed on a real Mac, it will certainly not succeed on a emulated Mac.
I would have thought that it might work if the emulator was running OS 7.5.3, rather than 9, just in case this could have been an OS related problem.

But it could be that the quark installer just doesn't like the USB floppy drive and would prefer a proper macintosh one.
BLBM
Student Driver

Post by BLBM »

Yes, "Mount".

Well, it seems that, although you apparently used Macs for at least 10 years or so, you do not know basic procedures or the usual terminology.

Mr.R, I haven't used a MAC in YEARS(although a PPC was my first computer);I've been on a PC for years now. I've forgotten the Mac procedures.
I ONLY have a G4 to open my Quark 3.3.2 MAC version.It's NOT that I don't like MAC'S I DO; but, I switched to a PC because of the Computer Games situation.

DiskCopy is an application for copying disks and creating disk images that has been on any Mac with MacOS since as long as I can remember and mounting a volume (disk, partition, etc.) is (in MacOS) making it appear on the desktop. If you insert your diskette in the drive, it is mounted.

I see. OK thanks.

I will try to write an explanation in more detail, but I do not want to bother the other readers of the forum with what will be self-evident to most. I will send it to you in a private message here. May take some time, maybe tomorrow evening (European time)

Thanks. I appreciate it.

BLBM wrote:
HELLO ?

I am not sitting here watching the forums day and night. I like to try to help with computer problems, but it is not my job. I have a life outside this place. And that is true for everyone here.

Sorry, I WASN'T demanding. Just ASKING. That's all. I'd wondered where everyone had gone.