800k Floppies

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

800k Floppies

Post by WyomingWrangler »

All of a sudden my Power Mac 5400 doesn't want to write to ProDOS (Apple ][) formatted 800k floppies. I never had this problem with OS 8.1, but now with 9.1 it freezes. I thought that I could write these files (that I need on my Apple IIgs) onto 800k floppies through Basilisk II running 7.6.1. But Basilisk doesn't acknowledge that there's a floppy in the drive (this only happens with 800k floppies, 1.4MB are fine). I was wondering if Basilisk II supports 800k floppies, or is it my PC that doesn't recognize 800k floppies.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Unfortunately, PC floppy drives can't physically recognize 800k floppies.
WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

Too bad.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

If you are running OS X on your Mac, you probably could use the OS X port of Basilisk II to access the floppies. Or hey! The vMac emulator for the Mac OS might do it (if you had a Mac Plus ROM image).

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers

http://www.vmac.org
MaxFrames

Apple II

Post by MaxFrames »

:D
By the way, you still own an Apple IIgs! You lucky lad!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Doh! (Thanks for reminding me.)

Check this out WyomingWrangler!: http://emulation.net/apple2

You could emulate an Apple IIgs on your Mac to access the floppies.
WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

Hmmmmmmmm, emulation on my Mac! I'm sorry, but my 5400 doesn't run X (I wish!). I downloaded Bernie ][ The Rescue (it seemed the most appealing). Will post back with updates.
WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

Sorry for the delay in a response. I've been out of town for the last week. Anyways, I've been having problems on my 5400 with OS 9.1. I've made ProDOS disks on my 5400 with OS 8.1. So I put OS 8.6 on, now I can successfully make ProDOS 800k floppies on my Power Mac. Apple ][ emulation works fine under 8.6. Thanks for all the replies.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Good.

I bought on eBay a LC III with an Apple IIe card in it and managed to set up the OS once. Unfortunately, I know nothing about basic Apple II commands, so put it in the closet.
WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

Reguarding those pesky Apple II Basic commands, I recommend checking out: http://www.applefritter.com/apple2/appl ... index.html
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Oh, I thought the Apple II prompt was like DOS where intrinsic commands could be given. But it's more like the C64 where you enter BASIC programs, then run them? I imagine there's something similar to the C64's "Load" and "Run" command for running a program from disk\memory.
WyomingWrangler
Space Cadet

I've never used a C64, so I can't comment on that, but the LOAD, and RUN commands are used in Apple II BASIC. I forgot to add second-hand, and used book stores, as well as some schools can be gold mines for Apple II junkies. At a second-hand store I got about 50 Apple II 5 1/4 disks for something like $2.00. And I got a box full of Apple II BASIC commands books from a middle school for free. So keep looking.