Basilisk 2 causes PC to shut down?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jim Spain

Basilisk 2 causes PC to shut down?

Post by Jim Spain »

I love Basilisk 2. I've used it on W2k, XP, and Mandrake Linux. Both regular B2 and JIT. My problem is that my PC laptop (ProStar) shuts down suddenly, without warning during a session with B2. Its happened with W2k, XP and now with Mandrake 9.0, which I was hoping would solve the problem. I have to restart the PC, reboot Basilisk 2, then retype the Mac file stuff I lost in the crash. I've tried de-activating the sleep and screensaver stuff on the PC side in case that is the culprit, but the PC still shuts down after a few minutes. The intervals between start up and crash do not seem to be regular, although the longer the PC has been running (and the harder the fan has to work????), the interval seems to shorter, that is, Basilisk seems to shut the PC down sooner. The PC under either Windows or Linux, but without Basilisk 32 running, does not shut down as it does when B2 is running. Help, please?

Jim Spain
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

In your next post, please attach your BasiliskII_prefs (Windows) or .basilisk_ii_prefs (Linux hidden file in your user home directory).

By analyzing it, I may be able to determine a configuration problem.

Other possibilities that come to mind at the moment:
1. If the hard drive file or ROM is read-only, this could cause a crash if a write is attempted.
2. You may have a buggy ROM image and might need to re-dump the image from your Mac with extensions off.

I'll be able to tell more from your basilisk prefs file.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for answering. The prefs file in Linux is

disk /home/jim/b2/Mac1G.dsk
extfs /
screen win/800/600
seriala /dev/tts/0
serialb /dev/tts/1
udptunnel false
udpport 6066
rom /home/jim/b2/MAC.ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 204472320
frameskip 0
modelid 14
cpu 4
fpu true
nocdrom false
nosound false
noclipconversion false
nogui false
jit false
jitfpu true
jitdebug false
jitcachesize 8192
jitlazyflush false
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/sound/dsp
mixer /dev/sound/mixer
ignoresegv false
Jim Spain

B2's Window's pref file

Post by Jim Spain »

Thanks again for your help. My BasiliskII Windows XP pref file is

disk Mac1G.dsk

floppy A:\

extfs

scsi0 <Free SCSI slot 0>

scsi1 <Free SCSI slot 1>

scsi2 <Free SCSI slot 2>

scsi3 <Free SCSI slot 3>

scsi4 <Free SCSI slot 4>

scsi5 <Free SCSI slot 5>

scsi6 <Free SCSI slot 6>

screen dx/800/600/8

seriala COM1

serialb COM2

rom E:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\B2\ROM.ROM

bootdrive 0

bootdriver 0

ramsize 100663296

frameskip 6

modelid 14

cpu 68040

fpu true

nocdrom false

nosound false

nogui false

noclipconvert false

nofloppyboot true

noscsi true

ntdx5hack false

rightmouse 1

keyboardfile BasiliskII_keyboard

pollmedia true

priority_ether_run 0

priority_ether_idle 0

priority_serial_in_run 0

priority_serial_in_idle 0

priority_serial_out_run 0

priority_serial_out_idle 0

priority_cpu_run 0

priority_cpu_idle -1

priority_60hz_run 1

priority_60hz_idle 1

priority_1hz_run 1

priority_1hz_idle 1

priority_pram_run 0

priority_pram_idle -1

priority_gui_run 1

priority_gui_idle 0

priority_gdi_run 0

priority_gdi_idle -1

priority_dx_run 0

priority_dx_idle -1

priority_fb_run 0

priority_fb_idle -1

priority_sound_run 0

priority_sound_idle 0

noaudio true

debugscsi 0

debugfilesys 0

debugserial 0

framesleepticks 12

showfps false

stickymenu true

etherpermanentaddress true

ethermulticastmode 0

disable98optimizations false

realmodecd false

soundbuffers 3

soundbuffersize8000 1024

soundbuffersize11025 2048

soundbuffersize22050 2048

soundbuffersize44100 4096

nosoundwheninactive true

mousewheelmode 1

mousewheellines 3

mousewheelreversex false

mousewheelreversey false

mousewheelclickmode 1

mousewheelcust00 +37+3B-3B-37

mousewheelcust01 +37+3C-3C-37

mousewheelcust10

mousewheelcust11

usealtescape true

usealttab true

usecontrolescape true

usealtspace true

usealtenter true

disableaccuratetimer false

guiautorestart 0

gethardwarevolume true

enableextfs true

usentfsafp false

extdrives #CDE

typemapfile E:\Documents and Settings\Jim\My Documents\B2\BasiliskII.ftm

debugextfs 0

portfile0 C:\B2TEMP0.OUT

portfile1 C:\B2TEMP1.OUT

DX_fullscreen_refreshrate Monitor default

mousemovementmode 0

usestartupsound true

smp_ethernet 0

smp_serialin 0

smp_serialout 0

smp_cpu 0

smp_60hz 0

smp_1hz 0

smp_pram 0

smp_gui 0

smp_gdi 0

smp_dx 0

smp_fb 0

smp_audio 0

idlesleep 1

idlesleepenabled false

idletimeout 0

routerenabled false

ftp_port_list 21

disablescreensaver true

keyboardtype 5
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Jim,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary looking at the prefs.

I know this is a pain, but try this avenue: create a new HFV disk image and install Mac OS on it. I belive your dsk image is damaged and by testing out another image you can verify or dismiss disk corruption. Or you could try running Disk Tools on the image first to see if corruption is detected.
Jim Spain

Will try

Post by Jim Spain »

Thanks. Will give it a try.
MaxFrames

Hardware problems

Post by MaxFrames »

If Basilisk II is *not* the only application giving you problems on that computer, a faulty hardware may be the issue.
Sudden reboots often occur when there's an access violation = RAM memory access problem. You could have a damaged RAM chip (try to test your memory with a software tool and/or try to open as many apps as you can - Basilisk excluded - to see if it triggers the problem).
Or maybe heating is the issue (unlikely, but it could be): if the CPU gets overheated it will malfunction in an unpredictable way.
If Basilisk II is definitely the only troublesome app on that computer, then I've missed the target! :lol:
Jim Spain

Maybe RAM problem

Post by Jim Spain »

Thanks for the suggestion. I opened up the Gnome System Monitor and was surprised at what I saw. With no apps, my Mandrake Linux 9.0 seems to use a huge portion of my available RAM, 193M out of 243-256M. Is that normal? SEE SCREENSHOT "1_B2_OFF.png". Then, when I boot up Basilisk II, the RAM usage jumps to 220M. The CPU % Usage is nearly 98%, whereas without B2 it's less than 20%!!!!!! SEE SCREENSHOT "2_B2bootedUP.png". To test further, I added a memory intensive doc (a Powerpoint presentation of 50M) to run alongside Basilisk. The RAM usage rose to 240M out of 243M. The CPU% Usage maxed out at %100. A moment later the laptop powered off by itself. SEE SCREENSHOT "3_B2+otherapp.png". After rebooting the computer, I turned on lots of Apps, plus Basilisk, then quit Basilisk, and then rebooted Basilisk. The CPU % Usage is almost %100. The monitor also shows a dramatic drop in RAM usage without Basilisk, then it shoots way back up when B2 is rebooted. If I had waited a while the computer would have probably shut down again. SEE SCREENSHOT "4_ManyApps_thenB2rebooted.png". Finally, with the other Apps still running, I shut B2 off again, and watched the RAM usage sink again to 187M out of 243M. SEE SCREENSHOT "5_ManyApps_thenB2OFF.png".

Conclusions? First, I wonder if my RAM disk is okay. You suggested it might be damaged. Second, I would like to know if Basilisk II is supposed to consume so much RAM, about 190M. Third, is there a problem indicated by the high CPU % Usage by B2, (98%), compared to when B2 isn't running (less than 20%). Fourth, it would seem clear that I need to install more RAM into the laptop.

What do you think? Thanks for you help.l
Jim Spain

SCREENSHOTS 4 and 5

Post by Jim Spain »

--
MaxFrames

whew

Post by MaxFrames »

well well well.
i never had problems with memory usage running B2 (JIT and non-JIT) on low-end Windows 98 systems with 128 MB RAM total. I use to assign 64 MB to Basilisk since usually it's the only application running.
and i never had "busy-cpu" problems too.
unfortunately i'm totally unexperienced as far as linux is concerned while i'm reasonably expert of windows.
so i'd suggest you measure your system performance under windows and post the results (not necessarily the screenshots :P).
but from all you've said it seems quite obvious that you're dealing with memory errors i.e. all your physical memory seems for some reason to be committed so the system's relying too heavily on the swap file with frequent fatal read errors which eventually lead to reboot.
the good news is that possibly the RAM chips are ok (but i'd test them anyway).
running the o.s. and basilisk definitely shouldn't hook up all your system resources.
don't pay bucks to buy more RAM, unless you find out your RAM board is damaged which i don't think.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

:?

I'm not sure what to say except try running Basilisk II at something like 16 MB of RAM. I usually only assign 16 to 32 MB and I have 256 MB installed. I concider Mac emulators useful mainly for playing older 68k games anyway, though I could see the use for running something like Photoshop 4 under Basilisk II on Linux.

Perhaps your swap partition is maxing out causing a reboot? I'm also not a Linux guru and my experience with Basilisk II on Linux is limited right now (I may try switching OSes in a few weeks, as long as I can still study Windows assembly language under a Windows virtual machine like Win4Lin).
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

My bandwidth. My precious bandwidth!

(I kid)