A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Do you want icons in the next version of this sheet?

Yes, indeed I do.
92%
No, I like it the way it is.
No votes
Maybe, but I would have to think about it.
8%

Total votes: 12
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I've been working on it for a few months now, but it's not really anywhere near finished since the sheet currently contains games (quite a number I might add). I'm only posting a fraction of what I have tested, but if you want the full version, feel free to contact me via email and I'll send you the document. :mrgreen:

The Computer
*Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
*1 Gig of RAM
*ATI Radeon X1300
*PCI Built-in Sound
*Windows Vista Home Premium (Downgrade me to XP please!)

For Basilisk II
*Build: Win32 / Build 142, Version 0.8
*System: Mac OS 7.6.1
*RAM: 128 MB
*Processor: 68040 (w/ FPU)
*ROMS Used: LC/Quadra/Performa("Performa ROM") 630(1MB), Quadra 650(1 MB), Quadra 700/900 (1MB)
*Additional Stuff: Quicktime 4.0.3 (Latest version for 68K Macs)

For Sheepshaver
*Build: JIT / August 8th, 20008 UNOFFICIAL
*System: Mac OS 8.6
*RAM: 256 MB
*Processor: PPC G4 (Sheepshaver doesn't allow you to switch between a G3 and a G4, so the G4 is ALWAYS on)
*Refresh Rate: Resolution: 800*600 for the most part, 1024*768 in some cases
*ROMS: Old World ROM from an unknown source, New World ROM - Mac OS 8.6
*Additional Stuff: LibMoto, CarbonLib 1.6.1(Yes, it exists!), OpenGL 1.2.2(from the Mac OS 9.2.2 Update ... XP), Quicktime 4.1.2 (Latest version stable in Sheepshaver), StdCLib (from MPW), Game Sprockets 1.7.5 (from Version Tracker)

THE COMPATIBILITY LIST!!!
-No.'d-
3D Brick Bash 1.4:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to run perfectly.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - After raising the memory to 3,000 KB, the game will boot up and it seems to run nicely, but the mouse might accidentally go offscreen (I reccomend you turn on fullscreen, select a 256-color display, and then play the game if you find that distracting).

3D Brick Bash 2.0:
(Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - This is a PPC-only version of the game, thus Basilisk II can not run it. It does run quite well, though the cursor moves off the screen, which can be annoying.

-A-
Apeiron:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Performa ROM - The game works fine, but you can't move your ship around. Therefore, it's unplayable. HOWEVER, by selecting "More complete ADB mouse emulation" under the 'Mouse' option (in the Basilisk II GUI), the game is playable.
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Same as above.
w/ Quadra 700/900 ROM - Same as above.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Unplayable since you can't move your ship around and has a GUI unlike Basilisk II. =(
w/ New World ROM - Same here.

Arashi 1.1.1:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - No complaints here. If you find the mouse control too sensitive, you could enable "More complete ADB mouse emulation" under the 'Mouse' option (in the Basilisk II GUI).

(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Turn the display down to 256 colors and then the game should play. Sound is a little bizarre for some reason and mouse sensitivity seems to be too high.
w/ New World ROM - Same thing here.

-B-
Brickles 3000:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It runs pretty well. However, it's VERY annoying when your mouse cursor moves out of Sheepshaver's window. To lower the chances of this occuring, place Sheepshaver's window in a corner. Also, sound somewhat seems to skip for some odd reason.

Brickles Deluxe:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to work A-OK here.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Same as Brickles 3000.

Brickles Pro:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Same as Brickles 3000.

Bubble Trouble X (1.0.2):
(Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - It doesn't run on Basilisk II, since this is a PPC-only program. It did run fortunately and it runs very nicely. One thing I did notice was that it said I had it for 2300 days (not a typo). But I downloaded this on November the 8th of 2008. O_o Note that this is an older version of the game; the newer version, 1.1.0, doesn't support Macs with Mac OS 1.0.3.8 and below. Plus, like Apeiron X, they removed the OS 9-compatible version from their website.

Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab (v. 1.6.1):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - UNTESTED!
w/ New World ROM - Music doesn't play for some reason. It is pretty stable during gameplay, though slowdown might occur during the fire effect when you get a game over. There is an ocassional hang here and there, which unhangs after a few seconds. Otherwise, it runs decently.

-C-
Cave Dig 2:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to work quite well.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Music seems to be a little skippy and sound seems be a little jumpy. But other than that, works quite well.

Cave Dig 3 (Classic Version):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It seems to work quite perfectly.

-D-
Deimos Rising (Version 1.0.6):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - UNTESTED
w/ New World ROM - Input Sprockets glitches out when trying to input the controls. To escape from that part of the options menu, just press the 'Enter / Return' key. There also seems to be some weird sound effects delay. Scoring seems go slow. Hangs occur here and there. Despite those problems, it runs pretty good and smoothly, which actually surprising.

Descent:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Fluid, even at the highest settings. But it will hang occasionally. It unhangs after a few seconds, thankfully.

Descent II:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Only what appears to be mild slowdowns appear in the game at the highest settings. Otherwise, it seems to run pretty smoothly.

Diablo Spawn 1.0.8 (DEMO):
(Sheepshaver) w/ Old World ROM - UNTESTED
w/ New World ROM - It runs here quite well.

-E-
Escape Velocity:
(Basilisk II) w/ Quadra 650 ROM - There doesn't seem to be any problems, but then again, I've only used it for 5 minutes.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It's alright, except for the fact that the main menu's response is sluggish.

Escape Velocity Override:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Once again, there doesn't seem to be any problem. Though once again, I've only used it for 5 minutes.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Since it's based off the same engine as the original, the exact same issue in the main menu occurs. It's otherwise OK.

-F-
Firefall Arcade (Inline SW Version):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Nothing to complain about here really, other than the really annoying bug involving the mouse - you click on 'high scores' and you are sent back to the menu. However, do the same thing as in Apeiron and the bug should be fixed.

Firefall Arcade (Pangea WS Version):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Runs perfectly, for the most part. I recommend you use the keyboard, as it's much easier to control during gameplay.

Flight Unlimited:
(Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - Mouse control seems to be a little loose. Also, the game seems to be quite slow.

Full Tilt! Pinball:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Loading takes a while, usually about 30 seconds to begin a game.
(Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - Sound seems to kind of skip around. Also, the opening movie doesn't play.

-G-
Geneforge:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Hangs can occur on occasion. But otherwise, it seems to be A-OK.

-I-
Iggy's Adventure:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to work perfectly. To turn on the sound, simply click on the Preferences and check Sound. Return to the main menu and you'll be able to enjoy the full experience. =)

-J to L-
Koji the Frog:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It's okay besides the slight hang that occurs, plus some sound issues occur here and there.

-M-
Marathon:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It works perfectly.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It works perfectly, though for higher color modes raise the memory up to at least 16 MB.

MacPuyo:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Music can get interrupted. Seems to work very nicely otherwise.

Mighty Mike:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Might cause some odd glitch in the Finder where it seems like you can't really click on the icons to start up anything. Also, sound seems to skip. Otherwise, it appears to be OK.

-N to P-
Pac the Man:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It runs decently, but has some odd music problems which I think have to do with Quicktime. Also, the background screws itself up once unpausing or after you've played it once (and you play again).

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Same as Basilisk II, other than the fact that the background doesn't screw itself up. Oh, and there's a brief pause before beginning a level.

Pac the Man 2:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Pac the Man 2 isn't compatible with Basilisk II, due to the fact that Basilisk II doesn't support PPC-specific coding. It takes a while to load the title screen when beginning for the first time. The about box is missing something, as indicated by a HUGE SPACE (the credits?!). The same things goes with when you're entering your name into the high scores table. The levels also take some time to load. Other than that, it appears to work out alright.

Power Pete:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – It runs just a little too slow for me.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Sometimes, it runs way too fast to be playable. The game seems to be OK otherwise.

-Q and R-
Quake:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It has a somewhat playable frame rate. Sound, on the other hand, lags, echoes, and in general, it's TERRIBLE! If this occurs, I heavily recommend you turn the sound off.

Rival Ball:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The gameplay is near perfect, since it might hang for a few seconds and unhang...which can be annoying. Also, the cursor seems to glitch out somewhat.

-S-
Solarian II (1.0.4):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Sound can short out quite a bit, but it's otherwise A-OK.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Sound glitches out and hangs also occur occasionally.

Shadow Warrior:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Runs decently even at High Quality. The bad news: IT CAN HANG QUITE FREQUENTLY!

Starcraft (DEMO):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - This would be a PPC-only program, making Basilisk II completely incompatible with it. The game can run, but in order to play the game, keep the "Mult-Button Mouse" option off. Hangs can occur quite frequently, but usually lasts 2 to 10 seconds. Also, graphic corruption can happen.

-T to V-
Ultima III 1.3:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to work here, though sound might be bonked out occasionally.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to go quite fast, but it works really well. However, sometimes when quitting a game, the menu bar dissapears, but it will reappear sooner or later.

Ultima III 1.4.2:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Hangs might occur for about a few seconds. Sound could glitch at specific times.

-W to Z-
Wolfenstein 3D:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It runs, but it frequently causes instability, causing a system error or an emulator freeze.
w/ Quadra 900 ROM - Same thing.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Appears to be A-OK, aside from some hanging issues. Just make sure "Speed Governor" on, unless you want to try and beat the game that way - which I heavily recommend you NOT do. ;)

Incompatible Titles

Bub & Bob 2 0.981: Has a complaint about jump.snd, which I initially thought had to do with the fact that the file was missing. But that wasn't it, and I have no clue what's causing the game not to load. There's some odd unknown error involving the file, which has confused me quite a bit. It seems like the game can't run.

Bugdom: After the copyrights/legal screen, it crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ error. I'm guessing it's the fact that Quickdraw 3D isn't supported.

Burning Monkey Solitaire 3: It crashes Sheepshaver, with a Microsoft Visual C++ error.

Descent 3: The Glide version boots up, then quits with an error message because it requires a 3dfx card, which Sheepshaver doesn't support. And the OpenGL version causes Sheepshaver to hang while booting, because Sheepshaver can't support 3D hardware-rendered graphics.

Escape Velocity Nova: It isn't compatible with either emulator. Sheepshaver merely throws up a monitor tool error and Basilisk II can't run this since this program has PPC-specific code in it. However, there is an unofficial build of Basilisk II called "Basilisk II Build 143", which patches Basilisk II to supposedly run it. I haven't checked this out yet.

Ferazel's Wand: It tries to boot up, but then suddenly quits for no explained reason.

Gerbils!: OK, this isn't REALLY a game. It's more or less so a tech demo - but a fun one no less. Anywho, when you try to boot it up, Sheepshaver almost immediately crashes since the emulator lacks support the Quickdraw 3D API.

Quake III: It will try to boot up, but it crashes Sheepshaver in the end, possibly because the 3D graphics acceleration requires actual hardware.

Wingnuts: It crashes when trying to start it for some reason, regardless of what version I use. Probably because Sheepshaver lacks support for OpenGL games (Wingnuts uses the OpenGL API).

Waterrace: Causes Sheepshaver to CRASH.

X-Ball 2.1.3: An error occurs, with the error reading:

"Sorry, an error has occurred.
Use the information below to
figure out what happened.

File name: Monitors.c
Line number: 122
Error Code: -18"
Last edited by kataetheweirdo on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I will upload the longer document when I get back from vacation.

But maybe the forum is a better place for it!

kataetheweirdo: if you feel like spending some time cutting and pasting, I can let you edit a page on the wiki.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

I might think of using the wiki for the sheet.

Though I do think using the forum is a good idea, since the users are allowed to contribute what works in the emulators.

Anywho, here's a few things missing/not added into the sheet:

Logic Platnium (Audio): It refuses to run without "VecLib".

mACRoStrange (Demoscene): Crashes, regardless of what settings you choose.

macloned (Demoscene): It runs(Sheepshaver), but it's so slow even with over 200 Megs of memory assigned to it. Doesn't run in Basilisk II.

TNT Basic (Development): The compiler and some of it's demos run, but I recommend you NOT use OpenGL in the games, as games made with OpenGL crash Sheepshaver. Once again, this only runs in Sheepshaver (though it might run in PearPC, I haven't tested it there).

Stuff-it 7: It works quite well in Sheepshaver. However, I have yet to test out any of the extensions it might have. Since it's becoming harder to find this program, I decided to post a link to it:

http://apple.doit.wisc.edu/mirrors/ausm ... n/StuffIt/
Last edited by kataetheweirdo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Prince of Persia 2:The Shadow and The Flame runs alright on Sheepshaver, but the music is too slow.

Full Throttle (by Lucas Arts): absolutely unplayable in Sheepshaver.... it just doesn't process fast enough.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

...and now the rest of my document, because I am a generous person (well that, and nobody is sending me emails wanting them). =)

-No.'d-
3 in Three:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Performa ROM - UNTESTED
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Sound cuts out time to time. Everything else is working perfectly though.
w/ Quadra 700/900 ROM - UNTESTED

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - UNTESTED

-A-
Abuse (Bungie's Mac version):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to work quite well. If you experience lag, change the graphics settings.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old Wold ROM - UNTESTED!
w/ New World ROM - It seems to work quite well.

Age of the Empires (Trial Version):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It seems to freeze every once in while and the MIDIs can be sometimes faulty. Otherwise, it's seems to be good.

Airburst:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Since Airburst is a PPC-only program, only Sheepshaver can run it. The Strange Flavour logo usually doesn't play - odd. Also, the program runs sluggish, most of music doesn't play for some reason, and it hangs occasionally. And by the way, it's not being really sold anymore.

Ambriel Snake:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to work OK.

Anagrams 2.4:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old Wold ROM - Not sure if you can call it a game, but I might as well add it here. It does work, though I think the program might be a bit slow.
w/ New World ROM - UNTESTED!

Apeiron X 1.0.2:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Fading effect are missing, the intro goes slow as hell, and the movement doesn't work. The bad news is that Ambrosia has removed the OS 9 version from their website. =?

Ares:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - You can not begin a network game for some reason. Otherwise, everything is OK.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to work perfectly.

Avara:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It appears to be fully playable.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It works decently, but I highly recommend playing in fullscreen with 256 colors since the mouse will otherwise move off to the side and into the desktop. Also, the about boxes seem to be screwed up.

Avernum:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - This program seems to be PPC-only. The game does run, quite well I might add. Mouse control might seem awkward though.

Awale 3.4 (November 2002 - Classic Version):
(Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - Seems to work fine here.

-B-
Barrack:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - When quitting and opening another game, application, etc. (or relaunching Barrack), the emulator crashes. The actual game runs pretty good.

Battle Arena:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Changing the controls to practically impossible since this program uses Input Sprockets. It doesn't seem like you can play the game here for some odd reason. Plus, when you exit the game, the cursor seems to be invisible.

(Missing: Yes, Boom 1.1.4r2 does work in both Basilisk II and Sheepshaver.)

Boom 1.2.3:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - There are odd hangs for a few seconds, plus there's occasionally skippy sound.

Blobs 1.8 (downloaded from mac.org):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Indeed, it does run, though the thing might seem a little too fast.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It did run pretty well aside from a hang that lasted for a few of seconds.

Blockwars:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Seems to work quite well, albeit music and jumpy sound. Oh yeah, InputSprockets seems to have a problem here.
So, I present to you the controls:
4 & 6 - Move the blocks left and right respectively
5 & 8 - Rotate the blocks, clockwise and counterclockwise
0 - Drop the blocks

w/ New World ROM - Unsure, though the file is very fault when using this ROM to say the least.

Bommo Sweeper X 1.1:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Works OK here.

Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab (v. 2.0):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The music plays now. However, it lags a lot here (approx. 5 to 10 FPS during gameplay). Freezes when you get a game over apparently. I recommend you get version 1.6.1 instead of 2.0, enough said.

Burning Monkey Solitaire 2:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - This game can run pretty well, but it's recommend that you switch the amount of colors displayed to at the least a 15-thousand color display for a better experience.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to work A-OK here.

Burning Rubber 1.2.3:
It does work fine in Basilisk II, which I didn't mention in the document

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – The logo, as well as the animation at the beginning, are missing. The logo will appear once a game has ended.

Bushfire:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to be perfect, plus the movies are playing (in monochrome)! It lags a bit, but it isn't too bad.

-C-
C.Dev Boggle 3.0:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to run perfectly.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - It runs quite well, but it can hang for a few seconds time to time. Recommended you turn the platinum sounds off.
w/ New World ROM - Same as the above.

Caesar III demo:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Seems to hang for a few seconds. But otherwise seems to be perfect.

Candy Crisis:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Runs, but seems a little laggy for some reason.

Chiral:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It runs perfectly, but it seems a little too fast.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Hangs very rarely. Otherwise, it's almost perfect.

Civilization II (68K) Demo:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It runs really well.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to be perfect, aside from some hangs and slowdown.

Civilization II (PPC) Demo:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Has an error type -7 when first starting up the game. Starting it again, after resetting, will often make the game run. The game actually runs pretty smoothly.

Close Combat (Demo):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – Has some cursor issues and also freezes a little bit frequently.

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far (Demo):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – The about screen has a bizarre glitch-out and might freeze occasionally.

Color Dark Castle:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Refreshing the graphics seems to be a bit of a problem.

Command and Conquer Demo:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Works quite well, even with the extras installed. =) It only hanged for about a few seconds here.

CrossCards 2.1:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Everything seems to be A-OK.

CrossCard 3.0.6:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Same as the above.

Cyclone:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It works very well here.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - A-OK here, except for some hang issues. Also, when you quit the game, the apple menu blacks out for some reason. (BTW, how did High Risk Ventures manage to get away with a clip from Ren and Stimpy?)

Cyclone II:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It runs pretty well here, aside from some slightly lengthy loading.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It's like it's predecessor, Cyclone. (And did High Risk Ventures manage to get away with a clip from Ren and Stimpy again? :? )

Cythera:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Some odd graphic dithering goes on here, which doesn't make the game unplayable, but it's distracting nontheless.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Appears to work OK here. Loading seems to take quite a while though.

-D-
Dark Forces:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - The emulator crashed.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Occasional hangs occur, but it's nothing too big.

Damage Incorparated:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - A type 3 error popped up. But by booting with the extensions off (hold the shift key while the OS is booting), the game then should run. You might encounter some lag or sound issues, which can easily be fixed by lowering the resolution and such in the options menu.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Occasional hangs occur, but it's nothing too big. Dark Vengeance: (Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - Loading is quite slow (takes about 30 seconds). Plus, only the software renderer is available. Lower the graphics and audio qualities of the game to make it more playable for slower computers.

Deathground:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Zooming up seems to be quite slow. Other than that, it appears to work OK.

DirtBike 3.1:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Hangs are quite common here, making gameplay stutter a bit.

DOOM:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - It has these weird MIDI issues, which cause stuttering and speeding up in the music especially in Level 1 in the 1st Episode. If it pisses you off to no end, you can turn it off. Otherwise, everything is OK.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Same issues as before.

DOOM II:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It doesn't run in Basilisk II, since that's an emulator of 68K machines and the levels might have run too slow. There's some odd sound issue, in which SFX usually are either don't play or are delayed. Also, at times, it speeds up too much. Other than those, there appears to be no issues.

Duke Nukem 3D(68K version):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - No networking since AppleTalk is off. Duke runs slowly, but the frame rate is pretty good. I reccomend you hold down the shift key the entire time since Duke runs so slow. Sound shortouts might occur. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It runs SO SLOW, even on the lowest setting! It also hangs every once in a while.

Duke Nukem 3D(PPC version):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It runs decently under Medium Quality mode. However, it hangs frequently, which can be quite annoying.

-E-
Exile:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Seems to work quite well. The bad news is you have to use the apple/option key and then click in order to search through more than one object. And since that key is mapped to the windows key, it's going to open up the start menu.
w/ New World ROM - Same as the above.

-F-
Fallout Demo:
w/ Old World ROM - The mouse cursor is so oversensitive it's not even funny, unless you want to do ever-so-slight movements with your mouse.

Future Cop: LAPD:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Yes, a 3D game actually RAN! It runs at a playable speed with all the effects turned on. However, the annoying thing is that it resizes the screen to 640*480 when playing the game. Also, InputSprocket won't let you change the controls for some reason. Just hit the return key to go back. The annoying thing is that when you press the windows key on the board(equivalent to the Apple key on the Mac) just to fire one of the weapons, the start menu in Windows pops up.(WHY?!) You could press the apple key again to resume, but that's just annoying due to some odd delay. And since Sheepshaver doesn't support 3D hardware rendering any way whatsoever, you are left with a game running on software-rendering mode. Lastly, as usual, there are times when the game hangs unexpectedly (they aren't too bad). (tl;dr... Future Cop: LAPD works, but it's filled with many annoying quirks)

-G-

Glider Pro (Mac OS 9 Version):
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It does work quite great, besides the usual stalling every once in a while. I recommend you go into the options menu and make the music play on when just being idle.

-H-
Harry the Handsome Executive:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - MIDIs have issues playing, resulting in very bizzare sound...just turn off the music if this drives you insane. Otherwise, no issues here.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Quicktime seems to have very odd quirks playing MIDIs under Sheepshaver. Again, if it pisses you off to no end, turn the music off. Other than that, I don't see any issues here.

Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The opening movie (somewhat sluggish though) plays and the menu seems to be responsive. The game is OK as far as I'm concerned, though the game seems to be quite choppy and loading times may take up some time.

Hexen:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Music doesn't seem to work sometimes when beginning the game. This can be resolved by raising the number of sound channels. Otherwise, it's OK.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Music doesn't seem to work sometimes when beginning the game. This can be resolved by raising the number of sound channels. Hangs can also occur. Everything else seems to be okay.

-M-

MacDO:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - There's some sort of MIDI Playing Issue. Data loads slowly, especially when transitioning between levels.

MacPipes 2.2.7:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Weird, it appears that the sound effects are somewhat muted, yet you can hear it at the same time (must be the game though). Otherwise, it's perfect.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Same thing here.

MacMoorhuhn:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - It would run perfectly here, other than the slightly annoying fact that your cursor can move off the edge of the screen and the cursor can be off during gameplay. Oh yeah, it hangs occasionally too.
w/ New World ROM - UNTESTED!

Mars Rising:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - InputSprocket is quite buggy, so I recommend you just ignore the Controls section. Also, when you ground fire with the apple key, it opens up the windows start menu. You could always press the 'apple key' again to resume gameplay. The problem is that it takes a few seconds long to actually get back to gameplay - really annoying.

Mazeball 1.0.1:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It appears to run perfectly.

-N to P-

Poing! 1.1:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Sound shortouts occur for some reason.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Seems to work quite well.

Prince of Destruction:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Volume level bar doesn't appear to work at all in the options menu. Other than that, It's OK.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Volume level bar doesn't appear to work at all in the options menu. Speech seems to be quite buggy. But it seems to work OK otherwise, besides that annoying apple key thing.

-Q and R-

Quagmire (1993):
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – It works perfectly.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It appears to be OK, aside from the sound skipping issue easily noticeable when moving.

Railroad Tycoon II:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The program goes awfully slow, presumably because of the 3D graphics it utilizes. Set the graphics settings to 'Very Low' and game might run faster.

Royal Rush:
(Missing: Royal Rush does work in Basilisk II)

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Fluid, yet at the same time, ridiculously sluggish. Sound also skips for some reason.

-S-

Shogo Mobile Armor Division:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It goes very slowly, but it runs. It also feels like you have to press the keys multiple times and rapidly in order to even get through the menu (unless you play the game at an ultra-low 320*240 resolution). The actual game runs quite slow (even if you play the game at an ultra-low 320*240 resolution, it goes about 10 frames per second). And lastly, in order to get the game running, you have to turn on the software renderer. Otherwise, if you use either of the OpenGL rendering engines, Sheepshaver crashes. (tl;dr Shogo runs, but it's so sluggish)

Simcity 2000:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Seems to be OK. It might get a little slow when zooming into the city. (Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - Appears to be fine, but hangs will occur quite commonly. Slick Willie III 0.6: (Basilisk II) w/ Quadra 650 ROM - The sound can glitch out quite often and lag can occur. (Sheepshaver) w/ New World ROM - The mouse sensitivity is too high for the game to be playable and it can cause quite a number of problems, including crashing Sheepshaver.

Spaceway 2000:
(Basilisk II)
Quadra 650 ROM - Runs perfectly once you raise the memory to about 8 MB.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Once you raised the memory to at least 10 MB, the game should run. It will hang quite commonly, but will often un-hang after ten seconds.

Starbound II:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM - Might freeze and stutter occasionally. Sound might be buggy at times. But it's otherwise great.

Swoop 1.0.2:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Runs perfectly, but it runs so fast during gameplay.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Has an occasional problem where the 'Register to' thread appears corrupt. The games runs perfectly otherwise, but goes way too fast during gameplay. It might slow down, but that's only temporary. Scoring also seems to be slow.

-T to V-
Tristan IE 2.5.1:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The game runs, but it appears changing the controls doesn't work properly.

Ultris:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Music skips around a bit and loading seems to take a LONG TIME.

Virtual Pool:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Virtual Pool can't run in Baslisk II (which is a 68K emulator) for some odd reason. I don't understand why, since the visuals look so simplistic. It runs, but the mouse controls seem like they are so bonked out it makes the game so unplayable...or is it just me...

Virtual Wings:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - The game can run, but you need to follow this in order to get it booted:
1) Open up "SheepShaverGUI"
2) Go to the graphics/sound section and raise the resolution to 1024*768 (or higher)
3) Click "Start". Don't be alarmed if Sheepshaver's boot screen is shrunk down to 800*600!
4) Go under "Monitors & Sound" under the Controls Panels section and select "1024*768 (Insert Refresh Rate here)".
5) Once you've done that, boot up Virtual Wings.

The game has glitched out 3D Hardware rendering, but it seems OK otherwise (could be wrong though).

-W to Z-

X-Wing:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - Runs slowly, no matter what... It's OK otherwise.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Runs slowly, but otherwise appears to be OK.

Zoop:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM - No problems occur here other than some music stalling.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - Hangs might occur, but very rarely you'll come across them.

Incompatible Titles
Allenrods: Hangs for a few seconds while loading, then crashes Sheepshaver probably because it uses OpenGL.

Astrosquid: Hangs for a few seconds on a black screen and crashes.

Avernum 2: An "Unexpected error" occured, when trying to install it.

Black Shades: It complained a lot, resulting in me searching for LibMoto, then StdCLib, then InterfaceLib... - I gave up in the end. XP Is it just me or do I find it inexcusable that a user has to find all these (and probably much more) just to run it (unless you have a copy of Mac OS 9)?

Blobs 3.1.1: Causes a Microsoft Visual C++ error, crashing Sheepshaver. (Might be because of OpenGL though)

BOOM 1.6.2: The game requires Mac OS 9, but by editing the version numbers of the Finder, System, and System Resources files via Resedit (to 9.1 through 9.2.2), the game might run. However, I have not tested this yet.

C.Dev Boogle 4.2: Crashes in Sheepshaver and no error popped up. XP

Carmageddon (demo): Unplayable, since it freezes when you actually begin a new game in Sheepshaver. Only the menus and static screens will run at all, but without sound. Plus Basilisk II can't run this at all because Carmageddon is PPC-only.

Cro-Mag Rally (OS 9 version): Since it uses OpenGL, Sheepshaver will hang when trying to run it.

Descender (any version from 1.0 to 1.4.x): Causes a Microsoft Visual C++ error, crashing Sheepshaver. Newer versions don't run at all on the classic Mac OS.

Geneforge 2: The installer won't work due to an "unexpected error".

Germs 1.3.1: Same as BOOM 1.6.2

Gridz 1.5.1: This error appears: "Error Code: -9 From: MPLibraryIsLoaded not."

Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 Demo: Crashes Sheepshaver when trying to open it.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Demo: When trying to open it, this appears: "The application "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Demo" could not be opened because ">>Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Demo<<" could not be found." This error baffles me for some reason.

Last Contact: When attempting to load it up, it crashes Sheepshaver.

LMTetris: It locks on a turqoise screen for a couple of seconds, then Sheepshaver crashes.

Maelstrom 3.0.6 PPC (SDL version): It opens for about two seconds and then quits.

Nanosaur: Crashes after the credits screens due to the usage of Quickdraw 3D, which Sheepshaver does not support.

Penguin Power! 1.2: It appears to crash Sheepshaver, possible because it uses OpenGL.

pop-pop 1.0.4: Causes some odd hang when trying to load it up.

Sim Theme Park / Theme Park World: Crashes Sheepshaver a few seconds after loading it.

Slithereens: I can't get this to run in either Sheepshaver or Basilisk II. Sheepshaver spews up '7004 - main', while Basilisk II has a type -192 error.

Star Wars Episode I Racer: Holds up for a few seconds and then quits.

Unreal Tournament "'99/2000" Mac Demo: The menu works just fine. But starting up the actual game causes a Microsoft Visual C++ error, which means Sheepshaver crashes.

Weekend Warrior: Crashes Sheepshaver, with a Microsoft Visual C++ error. It's most likely because it uses the Quickdraw 3D API.

And that's it.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

For the record:

I have uploaded kataetheweirdo's full chart to the website. It's over here...

http://emaculation.com/compatibility.htm
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Keep in mind that what I submitted is an early version, and anybody else's results are currently missing in there. :oops:

Nevertheless, the next version is coming sometime soon. Also, I might convert the file into a wiki format so that separating everything into separate categories if it's possible.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

That sounds great. Would you like me to create an account for you on the site's wiki so you can edit it that way? It's fairly straightforward to use.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Sorry for not posting in such a long time. Indeed, I would like to use the wiki. However, there's a bit of an issue I have to ask about...that would be about icons.

You see the next version of the sheet, as I currently have it in, has icons. I was wondering if should keep them or delete them. So I decided I create a poll about it. There are two reasons I'm thinking of keeping them. The first being that there are at least some visuals and the other is to show what the programs' icons look like.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to waste space by thousands of programs' icons.

But, nevertheless, it's your decision. :|
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'm okay with icons. There's no problem using up a few hundred megs of space with the webhost.

The wiki is not great with formatting things, however, so it might not end up looking as pretty as you imagine.

Screenhosts are good (even better) too, if you want to include them!
Eve Pearce
Space Cadet

Post by Eve Pearce »

This list is Sheepshaver only.

Computer:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.00 GHz
2 GB of RAM
nVidia Geforce 9400 GT
Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3

For Sheepshaver
*Build: JIT / 30-03-2009
*System: Mac OS 9.0.4
*RAM: 256 MB
*Processor: PPC G4
*Refresh Rate: Resolution: 1024x768 - Full screen
*ROM: A New World rom that came with 17th September 2008 build
*Additional Stuff: CarbonLib 1.6, OpenGL 1.1.3, Quicktime 6.0.3

Almighty list xD
The Sims
Old World Rom: UNTESTED
New World Rom: Perfect.

Notes: Both Carbon and normal executables run. Framerate lags a bit.

Tomb Raider I
New World Rom: Runs fine in Software mode, other modes are disabled. Framerate is ok.

Notes: None

Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft
New World Rom: It crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ error when you run the game.

Notes: Setup runs fine. (game settings setup)

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelaton
New World Rom: It crashes with a Microsoft Visual C++ error when you run the game.

Notes: Game setup (game settings setup) runs.

Netscape 7.0
New World Rom: In one word: Perfect.

Notes: Everything runs perfect. and with Flash 7 you can even watch Youtube movies.

GraphicConverter Classic V5.9.5

Notes: None. Everything runs perfect.

AppleWorks 5.0.3

SoundApp 2.7.3

And... that's all. I had other apps, but it was in Mac OS 8.6 HD, which was formatted and upgraded to Mac OS 9.0.4
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

A bit of an update: I'm still working on the sheet (whenever I can) and here's what I've done so far:

- Added Eve Pearce's results
- Tested Adobe Photoshop 3.0.5 (which couldn't get working in Basilisk II), Adobe Pagemill 3.0, and Illustrator 5.5
- Fixed a few errors here and there
- Added icons (Not every application on the sheet has these yet)
- And of course, added more results (including some for Executor, which I did get running)

Anywho, expect 0.01-pre3 to come out as soon as possible.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Sounds great. Don't forget to e-mail me a copy to post on the site.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

v. 0.01-pre3a1 has been sent out and here's a bit of what I've added so far (icons have already been implemented, but I don't have a place to host those files):

*Build(s): JIT / August 8th, 2008 & September 17th, 2008 UNOFFICIAL
*System: Mac OS 8.6 (although I did use OS 9.0.4 on one occasion)
*RAM: 512 MB
*Processor: PPC G4 (Sheepshaver doesn't allow you to switch between a G3 and a G4, so the G4 is ALWAYS on)
*Refresh Rate: Resolution: 800*600 for the most part, 1024*768 in some cases
*ROMS: Old World ROM from an unknown source, New World ROMs - Mac OS 8.6 Rom Update
*Additional Stuff: LibMoto, CarbonLib 1.6.1(Yes, it exists!), OpenGL 1.2.2(from the Mac OS 9.2.2 Update ... XP), Quicktime 4.1.2 (Latest version stable in Sheepshaver), StdCLib (from MPW), Game Sprockets 1.7.5 (from Version Tracker), Quickdraw 1.5.4 (from Mac OS 8.5 CD), and some drivers from Matrox

A-Train:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – Any game speed other than the fastest game speed seems to cause the game to go really slow for some reason.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM - It asks you whether you want to switch to 16 colors or not. Sometimes the game might delay. Occasionally, it hangs indefinitely – leaving you to quit the game via Windows Task Manager.

Asterax:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – It seems to work just fine, as I’ve yet to encounter any problems.

(Executor)
It complains about this being a 32-bit clean application, but it will run. The game, unfortunately, runs quite choppy.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – There weren’t any hangs here. Sound echoing did occur as well as slightly lengthy load times (and sometimes, speed issues). Usually, it works just fine. However, it appears that when you quit this application and re-open it, Sheepshaver randomly quits.

CodeWarrior Gold 68K:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – CodeWarrior Pascal and C++ compilers run, but I’ve only used them for about five minutes and I’m not sure if they have any bugs.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – Same thing [as the above]

Gerbils!:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM – Indeed, it does run at the highest settings. The framerate can be quite jerky. Sounds do stutter a little.

Killing Time 1.0.2:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – Aside from an occasional hang, it seems to work just fine. And no, this does not run on any 68k machines.

Out of this World:
(Basilisk II)
w/ Quadra 650 ROM – 1.0.3 runs just fine, although it’s a bit too fast.

(Sheepshaver)
w/ New World ROM – Version 1.0.2 runs alright, with absolutely no errors whatsoever. 1.0.3, however, crashes and/or freezes Sheepshaver.

Reckless Drivin’ 1.4.4:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM – The gameplay seems to be alright. But when you go into the options menu (and try to get out of it) or quit the game, this error shows up:

A fatal error has occurred!!
-227 @ SetSystemVolume”

Despite having the “exit” button, it only ends up opening the same error message over and over again, leaving you no choice but to open up Task Manager or literally turn the switch off.

Weekend Warrior:
(Sheepshaver)
w/ Old World ROM – The opening logo for Pangea runs fairly smoothly. However, the actual game has a lot of slowdown issues and response is incredibly sluggish (usually requiring multiple button presses). The only suggestion I have at the moment is to reduce the depth to 256 colors and raise the memory. Oh, and a cheat code, hold down the F12 key during the coconut moving part of the stage selection screen (when you first walk in).
FerazelX
Tinkerer

Post by FerazelX »

First off, the issue with Harry is Quicktime - You MUST be using 2.5 for music to sound correct.
As for Wolfenstein, I have gotten it to run in BasiliskII just fine with a Quad650 ROM.

Exile III: Ruined World
(Basilisk II) - Runs perfectly fine.
(SheepShaver)
Old World ROM - Crashes the emulator on start. (yet Exile I-II as well as Blades of Exile all work fine?)
New World ROM - Same as with OWR.

ShadowWraith & Souls in the System
(BasiliskII) - Runs, but will crash after unpausing or using the cheat dialog.
SheepShaver)
Old World ROM - same as BII.
New World ROM - Fatal Error - Not Enough Memory.
geolegg
Space Cadet

Post by geolegg »

Is there a way to make certain games run at proper speed? Dark Forces in both SheepShaver and Basilisk runs very smoothly, but at what seems to be 1/2 speed. Is there a timing issue going on?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Here's a detailed look at running the game Close Combat 2 in SheepShaver:

http://closecombat2.fortunecity.com/SheepShaver.html
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

I think you can get rid of the "monitor tool" and "monitor.c" errors by lowering down the colors. As far as I remember it was 256 colors.

Pack of tests with SheepShaver 17-09-2008, Old World ROM, Mac OS 8.1, no updates:
Acrobat Reader 4: Fine
Photoshop 5.5 Tryout: Both Photoshop and ImageReady are fine
Classilla: No, this not... (8.1 was the first version with Carbon, but "WindowsLib could not be found")
Corel Graphics 8: Both Draw and Photo Paint are fine
Dreamweaver 2 Demo: Fine
Gauge PRO: Opens then quits
Ircle 3.1.2 PPC: Fine
iText 3.1.6E: Fine (and has iMac colors for the GUI)
iView Multimedia 3.8.1: Fine
MacPing Pro 3.0.4: Fine, but don't have AppleTalk network to test
MacSSH 2.1fc3: Fine but connection window instantly closes after typing user and password
MacUptime: Fine

More to come...
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Thanks for the updates.

I hope that kataetheweirdo puts together an updated version of the master list!
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

(BUMP)

The sheet is now in wiki format:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/compatibility_sheet

The icons haven't been transferred there yet, but there will be more results soon. In the mean time, I'll get Sheepshaver set up on my new computer.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Thanks so much for your contribution and for taking the time to wikify that. I'm going to update everything so that there are appropriate links to it on other pages.

It is really wonderful when people make contributions to the site.

You might want to share the info in the Macintosh Garden forum... that's the sort of place it might be useful.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Might be worth adding a link to ARDI's Executor compatibility database as an addendum:

http://www.ardi.com/compat.php
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

By the way... the guide has been updated over the last few days, with more than a half dozen programs tested.

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/compatibility_sheet
ClockWise
Site Admin

Re: A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Post by ClockWise »

Katae updated this guide last month.

Very quietly... without telling anyone! So I will bump this thread to spread the word...
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: A Macintosh Emulation Compatibility Sheet

Post by Jorpho »

Are there any cases at all in which SheepShaver with an Old World ROM has managed to run a specific application that it couldn't run with a New World ROM?