EV Nova on B2?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Nova Luva

EV Nova on B2?

Post by Nova Luva »

In a past post, someonw mentioned running Escape Velocity Nova on an emulator, presumably Basilisk 2, Since this IS the B2 forum. Well, knowing that EV Nova requires a PPC processor, and most PPC designed applications do not even consider running themselves on an 040, I'm curious as to whether it's possible to run Nova on B2 without any hardware upgrades or preferrably any real effort besides the install? If so, that would be major cool, as I'm definitely *not* patient enough to wait for the windows version, nor intelligent or wealthy enough to make necessary modifications...*dies from lack of Nova*.

Black Lotus
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Nova doesn't actually require a PPC processor. There was some talk that perhaps some version that was on a magazine CD somewhere did, but the one that I downloaded from Ambrosia's site ran just fine in Basilisk II with OS 8.1.
M*K
Student Driver

Post by M*K »

but only in 256 colors...

And 256 colors means low performances computers.

Maybe support for more than 256 colors is coded for PPC since it don't run at all on B2, whatever memory I put.

I wait for EV Nova for Windows, because 256 colors is ugly (but playable).

Good luck.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Basilisk II JIT (running Escape Velocity Nova on Mac OS 8.1) on Mandrake Linux 8.2

Black Lotus
Space Cadet

Monitor error when starting Nova? (Not the -3 error)

Post by Black Lotus »

Welp, in the hopes of getting a peek at Nova before the XP version comes out, i downloaded it. When it opens, I get an error: "Sorry, an error occurred while opening the monitor tool." I'm aware of the screen settings needed by Nova, and i have B2 set to run at 800*600 at 256 colors, 60hz. Nova doesn't seem to agree with me that these settings should work. Any ideas as to what would satisfy it's insatiable need for precise monitor settings?

Thanks in advance,
Lotus
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere Anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Are you using Basilisk II build 143?

If not, backup and replace the BasiliskII.exe with experimental build 143: http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskI ... _patch.zip

From the readme:

Basilisk II Escape Velocity Nova (EVN) gamma ramp patch

1) Select 256 colors in b2 setup
2) Install MacOS 8.1 (EVN minimum requirement for OS version)
3) Install EVN
4) Run "Register EV Nova" manually once.
5) Run "EV Nova"

Tested under Win2k.

Gamma ramps work only if ICM is available, excluding NT 4.
Under NT 4, EVN should probably run with this patch, but without gamma ramp fade effects.

EVN seems unstable when run under Basilisk II with thousands of colors.
Giving EVN more memory might help, but wasn't good enough in my setup.
Use 256 colors instead.