Floppy Drive Access on OSX?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Thissa
Student Driver

Floppy Drive Access on OSX?

Post by Thissa »

Hey all,

I'm running Basilisk II for OSX on a MacBook, and recently purchased a LaCie USB floppy disk drive for it. I have a ton of old floppies from the early System 7.x era that I'd like to use with B2, but can't figure out how to get B2 to recognize my new floppy drive. There just doesn't seem to be an option for it in the GUI. Any ideas?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

BasiliskII can't read floppy disks. To work around the problem, in OS X, create a folder inside your user folder and give it a name like "Floppies". Mount your floppies in OS X and drag the files from the mounted disk into the "Floppies" folder. Next, in B2, open the "Unix" folder and access the "Floppies" folder there.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

BasiliskII does not support USB (or any other way to access a disk directly).

You can mount a 1400K floppy in MacOSX, use Disk Utility to make a disk image from the mounted floppy, and add that image file in the BasiliskIIGUI application to the volumes list for BasiliskII. The floppy volume will then mount on the desktop in BasiliskII.

Your LaCie floppy disk drive cannot read 400K and 800K Mac diskettes. Only original Apple floppy drives can read those. You need a working real Mac with built-in floppy drive to be able to read 400K and 800K floppies.
Thissa
Student Driver

Post by Thissa »

Hmm, I figured that may be the case :S I recall that the Windows version can support the internal floppy drive, but I guess USB is a whole different ballgame. Fortunately none of the disks are 400/800k so that's one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the assistance!