Mini vMac Updates: May 27

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Mini vMac Updates: May 27

Post by ClockWise »

Paul has posted a whole lot of Mini vMac info over on his page:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/

He's got an "alpha" version online. It looks like the sort of thing we've been doing here.

He mentions charging five bucks for a set of all possible versions, since "no matter how easy I try to make it to compile variations from the source code, it has become clear that most people aren't going to do this."

Hee.

I'd pay five bucks (or more), not for the versions, but to help support the project. I actually wish he still had the "bounty" system going for new features. I'd pay BIG BUCKS for the ability to go online in my emulated system 6 environment. I'm afraid to say that I was away from emulation when he last had the bounties online. :(

Check out the page for more information about that idea.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

Built 7 configurations with Visual C++ 6.
I don't exactly know how this snapshot differs from the previous one. II emulation is now a bit faster, but there is still neither FPU nor ASC support.
http://rapidshare.de/files/47344111/min ... 7.rar.html
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The Mini vMac variations service is now online:

http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/var/index.html

You can now download a number of variations of Mini vMac, and can pay five bucks for an activation code.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

More variations now available:

http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

roms of PB100, SEFDHD , classic 512K and original II are now impossible to find on the net and the real working systems are even harder to find in my country. So I haven't had a chance to even test those Mini vMac configurations.
macgeek41796
Tinkerer

Post by macgeek41796 »

impossible? i think not. i could send some of them to you:

Classic ROM (512k!)
SEFDHD ROM
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

macgeek41796 wrote:impossible? i think not. i could send some of them to you:

Classic ROM (512k!)
SEFDHD ROM
I just want to see the Cmd-Option-X-O in Mini vMac however it seems impossible to do that in current version.
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

It is with the full 512K Classic ROM -- just press Command+Option+X+O in the raster screen. The screen is fast and the combination does not work on the flashing question mark screen, so you must be fast.

Offtopic: Use some app which shows hidden files and folders on open file dialogs (ResEdit) to browse thru the System Folder. A hidden credits folder structure appears!
sheepmyshaver123
Granny Smith

Post by sheepmyshaver123 »

RichardG wrote:It is with the full 512K Classic ROM -- just press Command+Option+X+O in the raster screen. The screen is fast and the combination does not work on the flashing question mark screen, so you must be fast.

Offtopic: Use some app which shows hidden files and folders on open file dialogs (ResEdit) to browse thru the System Folder. A hidden credits folder structure appears!
Often use the Control + S + Z on the Mini vMac Control Mode to slow it down before restarting. Then, press Control + R to reset them. Then, press the combination that you shown.
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

RichardG wrote:It is with the full 512K Classic ROM -- just press Command+Option+X+O in the raster screen. The screen is fast and the combination does not work on the flashing question mark screen, so you must be fast.
It also appears that it must be done AFTER the startup chime - it appears to not work if you begin the keystrokes during the chime.

Also, here are a few extra screenshots, including the hidden credits.

ImageImageImageImage
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

Thanks for who followed my tip.

Side note 1: I also have two corrupted Classic ROMs (136K and 256K). I can't remember which, but one worked on SoftMac, although Command+Option+X+O gave me the flashing question mark (I had a 7.0.1 Disk Tools in). Weird.

Side note 2: Enabling color on Mac II mode on System 6 crashes the emulator.

Side note 3: Special>Restarting on Mac II mode also crashes.

Side note 4: I will find some time to post both bugs on SF.net.

Side note 5: I get a color mode with black & white icons when booting off a 7.0.1 Disk Tools with color enabled. I tried to take Tidbits:Control Panels:Monitors off the disks (what I already done when I got this mode in SoftMac), but it does nothing.
Gryffin
Student Driver

Post by Gryffin »

RichardG wrote:Side note 2: Enabling color on Mac II mode on System 6 crashes the emulator.

I don't have either of those problems. Mini vMac 3.1.0, 8MB RAM, 800x600 System 6.0.8 (Universal install, I think), compiled from source using Xcode 3.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.5.7, running on same. Haven't tried any apps on it other than MacWrite 4.6, MacDraw 1.9 and MacPaint 1.5, none of which use color, but I can enable 256 colors (or grays) in the Monitors control panel, and color Finder icons.
yksoft1
Master Emulator

Post by yksoft1 »

RichardG wrote:Thanks for who followed my tip.

Side note 1: I also have two corrupted Classic ROMs (136K and 256K). I can't remember which, but one worked on SoftMac, although Command+Option+X+O gave me the flashing question mark (I had a 7.0.1 Disk Tools in). Weird.

Side note 2: Enabling color on Mac II mode on System 6 crashes the emulator.

Side note 4: I will find some time to post both bugs on SF.net.

Side note 5: I get a color mode with black & white icons when booting off a 7.0.1 Disk Tools with color enabled. I tried to take Tidbits:Control Panels:Monitors off the disks (what I already done when I got this mode in SoftMac), but it does nothing.
According to my test, Mini vMac IIx's color will only work in System 6.0.7 or later.

Apple removed all color icon resources in the System files of Disk Tools disk to reduce System file size.
prowler
Tinkerer

Post by prowler »

Once you have succeeded in booting to the ROM disk, you can then use Startup Device to select the ROM disk for the next time. 8)
SSS
Granny Smith

Post by SSS »

prowler wrote:Once you have succeeded in booting to the ROM disk, you can then use Startup Device to select the ROM disk for the next time. 8)
That does not work, because once the emulator (same as the real Mac Classic) is restarted, the ROM disk is no longer available to the Mac (unless you press Cmd+Option+X+O again).
prowler
Tinkerer

Post by prowler »

SSS wrote:
prowler wrote:Once you have succeeded in booting to the ROM disk, you can then use Startup Device to select the ROM disk for the next time. 8)
That does not work, because once the emulator (same as the real Mac Classic) is restarted, the ROM disk is no longer available to the Mac (unless you press Cmd+Option+X+O again).
It works on a real Mac Classic, though it won't override a floppy disk. However, it probably doesn't work in emulation, because hard disks are emulated as if they were large floppy disks.
RichardG
Inquisitive Elf

Post by RichardG »

It froze over. Compiling on DVC broke on the alpha and I ain't a C++ coder.

[Linker error] undefined reference to `SHGetSpecialFolderPath'