A bit of help emulating an old game!

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Mikrou
Space Cadet

A bit of help emulating an old game!

Post by Mikrou »

Hey guys, sorry I'm pretty much brand new here and have been giving it a try, trying to get the setup off of my old Performa to emulate on my PC.

I'm not particularly good with this kind of stuff, but I remember back when I was a kid playing Odyssey - The Legend of Nemesis and was never quite up to completing it.

Anyhow, I am not sure how big the favour is that I am asking for, but would appreciate (if it is within reason), that someone could help making a Mac HDD emulation with the game installed onto it and running...

I'm running XP SP3

Otherwise, tips and help would make me very grateful.

Is this even possible? I'm not sure, but what I do know, is people out there are much more intelligent than I.

Thanks in advance!
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

UPDATE : After a bit of tinkering - I have the emulator working, however I now have found that I cannot extract the .sit.hqx file on the emulator.

If someone with a Mac could make a disk image file with Odyssey on it, that would perhaps solve my problem. Then I can use that disk image file / copy from that disk image to my main disk image - and see if the game runs.

Once again, thanks!
prowler
Tinkerer

Post by prowler »

Hi Mikrou,

PM me your email address and I'll send you an HFV disk image you can mount in emulation.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

A few notes about installing Stuffit 5.5 are here:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilis ... #what_else

If you add Stuffit to your hard disk image using HFVExplorer, you should be able to then install it without too much trouble.

Stuffit should be able to expand that archive...
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

Clockwork! I've been reading some of your other stuff...

I've got the demo working! Stuffit has so far expanded the demo of Odyssey, and also Task Maker.

They're both working.

There is something either wrong with the file itself, or how the file reacts once its downloaded into Windows... I've downloaded Stuffit for windows and examining the file shows that the package is complete (has all of the files I remember)

But, expanding it in the virtual mac (using Basilisk) it only expands one of the files. 'Tis quite confusing.

Any help would be appreciated!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I'll check it out when I get home from work. Maybe you are doing something wrong... or maybe it just doesn't work at all!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I expanded this file just fine:

http://www.paranoidproductions.com/odys ... re.sit.hqx

I'm using Basilisk II with system 7.5.5. I used Stuffit 5.5.

I copied the file over to my hard disk using the "My Computer" feature within Mac OS (check the right box in the GUI) instead of HFVExplorer. Then I just double clicked to expand with Stuffit.

Did you do anything different?

Also: If you open a stuffit archive with Stuffit for Windows, you can corrupt it and make it unusable. Perhaps try re-downloading.

If you don't already have one, I can upload a disk image with the expanded files like you asked for.
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

Clockwise, if you could email me the disk image, or just post a link it would be greatly appreciated.

My email is < mikrou@hotmail.com >

I read about the corruption that Stuffit Windows can cause, so I was careful to try various different downloads of that .sit.hqx file. To no avail!

Anyhow, thanks for all your help guys!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Mikrou wrote:I read about the corruption that Stuffit Windows can cause
Corruption that Stuffit Windows will cause when decoding and expanding specific Macintosh files.

The sit.hqx file will survive in a non-Mac environment, but should be decoded and subsequently decompressed on a (emulated) Mac (like ClockWise did). The .sit.hqx file will be decoded into the .sit file and the .sit file will be decompressed into the (folder with) the decompressed files. With default settings for Stuffit Expander, both the original .sit.hqx file and the intermediate .sit file will be preserved.
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

:)
Last edited by Mikrou on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: both the original .sit.hqx file and the intermediate .sit file will be preserved.
This is a lie. Windows Stuffit does a better job of decompressing the files than Mac Stuffit - It is just that files extracted by Windows Stuffit into Windows are less useful than files extracted by Mac Stuffit into Mac.
prowler
Tinkerer

Post by prowler »

Mikrou wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: both the original .sit.hqx file and the intermediate .sit file will be preserved.
This is a lie.
No, the part you have quoted is absolutely true. They are the only files which will be correctly preserved in a Windows environment. Because they are archives, they do not require resource forks in order to be valid. Other files extracted from the decoded .sit file will indeed be rendered useless by extracting within Windows.
Mikrou wrote:Windows Stuffit does a better job of decompressing the files than Mac Stuffit - It is just that files extracted by Windows Stuffit into Windows are less useful than files extracted by Mac Stuffit into Mac.
That is one of the most paradoxical statements I have seen in any online forum!
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

prowler wrote:That is one of the most paradoxical statements I have seen in any online forum!
Paradoxical is what I'm about.

Haha, what I meant was that the file is perfect in Windows, extractable and visible. But in Basilisk it is not. Hence my previous post.

"With default settings for Stuffit Expander, both the original .sit.hqx file and the intermediate .sit file will be preserved."

This statement therefore did not hold true.

Anyhow, that's not what this is all about - And I thank you guys for all your help!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Ummm...

Did you manage to get the game working?
Mikrou
Space Cadet

Post by Mikrou »

Guys, thanks for all your help. It is now working a treat!

Case closed!
OdysseyLover
Space Cadet

Re: A bit of help emulating an old game!

Post by OdysseyLover »

I REALLY WANT THIS!

bmorecraftyyt@Gmail.com

Can someone email me the .dsk file PLEASE?
Thaeris
Student Driver

Post by Thaeris »

Try using SheepShaver. You ought to start here:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver

Going through this page, you'll want to scroll down to the links where the latest versions are posted. Or, you can just try this link from here (if you're using Windows):

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5325

If you want the latest version with the startup sound, keep in mind that you should delete the old executable and re-name the new executable to be the same as what the old one was... hopefully that's not too confusing. Oh, and be sure to drop the "boing.wav" file in the SheepShaver directory as well. From the instructions, placing the appropriate .dll's where they belong in the system folder shouldn't be too hard to figure out, so you should be good there. As an additional hint, you may not need to look as hard for ROM files as you may initially think, either.

You will need to create a virtual drive for your main HD, and this can be done by using the HFFV explorer included in the SheepShaver package. There should be plenty of tutorials lying around here that will teach you how to do this. Apart from making the initial HD to install things to, you'll need to grab Disk Tools 8.5... or you could read the tutorial here:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup

From here, you see that setting up SheepShaver is much like setting up a new, albeit old, computer. So, you will need to search out the software you need to do tasks. I'm pretty sure you want to use SheepShaver for Odyssey, as I'm certain the soundtrack requires QuickTime to run. You can use SheepShaver for a wide variety of OS's, but if you just need to run Odyssey, use System 7.5.3 and its upgrade, which you can get for free from the Apple website. There should be a link somewhere. As per Odyssey, you can find a copy in the link in the first post.

As a final bit of advice, make sure you use HFFV Explorer to bring files into your virtual HD. Or, you can do what I did, and make a 50MB virtual volume which you can then use to install software onto the principal volume. Use the GUI to load any needed volumes before starting SheepShaver. Also be aware that you need to press the "run" button in the GUI for any changes you commit to be applied to the emulator.

...Hopefully this will help a little when using the start-up tutorials?
Pedro100
Space Cadet

Post by Pedro100 »

Hello, guys!

I see it's been a long time since the last reply on here, but could you help me too?
I'm trying to play Odyssey, and I have exactly the same setup mentioned by ClockWise, but I can't put the game to run. I can't even extract it successfully with StuffIt Expander.

What happens is the same as said in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9335, when I try to open the game with Stuffit, a window saying "Scanning. Items remaining: 1" pops up for a split second and then disappears.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I made a DiskCopy image from the HQX to try with.
Can you use MEGA?
https://mega.nz/#!EpF11RjZ!x842KtLLArLg ... djDiNP5xB8
The zip was created with OSX, so it has some useless ._ files when inflated in Windows.
The Odyssey image should work nevertheless with SheepShaver or Basilisk II.