Teaming Up?

Anything about Mac emulation that does not belong in the above categories.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

phirkel
Apple Corer

Teaming Up?

Post by phirkel »

Hey, are there any developers out there interested in working on a PURE PowerPC platform emulator (i.e. no Macintosh components emulated - Perhaps something like CHRP or The PowerPC Open Platform). Perhaps if we can get a system setup running YDL or LinuxPPC, we will be able to revive the dream of a PowerPC emulator...

Or, at least, we could create a development tool that could blast simics out of the water price-wise...FREE!

If you do have *ANY* true coding experience (VB programmers and Delphi programmers will be flamed, and I mean it.. Neither is a good language for emulation), post here what you would be capable of doing. If all does go well, I can setup a server running SourceForge and we can get a project up and running.

I just had a revelation, really!
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

I have Visual C++ from my homee, NO I DIDNT STEAL it! Sorry i dont know how to use it... i bet Perikel or [YOU] could do it. I would like to see YDL running.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Sorry, I have very little (68k C) programming experience (read Mac Programming for Dummies to the end) and don't own a PPC Mac.

I have some skill in 16-bit x86 assembly and very little skill in 32-bit assembly/C Win32 API programming (but I am working my way through Petzold's book using VC and MASM).

but my VB skillz r l337 if J00 needs a g0d PCC emulater!
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Please, please, PLEASE don't use leet-speak with VB in the same line...it just makes you look bad :P
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

All insults to VB programmers aside, I think that it can be done...I'm looking at some of the PPC7500 CPU Simulators and trying to figure out how to get them working within an emulated environment. Anyone who isn't a VB coder is welcome to help out. Ideas are always welcome.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I don't know how much of this he wants to be leaked, but Gwenole (Basilisk II JIT porter) is working on porting the PPC virtual machine, Sheepshaver, to x86 Linux. (Sheepshaver runs on PPC BeOS and allows the running of the Mac OS on a BeBox or PPC Mac - like MOL does.)

http://www.bebits.com/app/2103
http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/she ... tches/?M=D
http://gwenole.beauchesne.online.fr/bas ... index.html
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

That would be an interesting project...but, there would be a lot of work involved, because SheepShaver doesn't actually emulate any hardware
icedragon
Student Driver

Post by icedragon »

Phirkel, I'd be up for being part of it. I'm a C++ programmer, and would love to get to work on something of that sort -- I certainly couldn't take it on myself, which is why I haven't tried.

I think what we do need is an honest sort of working group aimed at just seeing exactly how feasible it is, and what it'd take to do it. At least in that case we wouldn't be beholden to Jim and Darek, and who knows, we could, maybe, figure something out.
icedragon
Student Driver

Post by icedragon »

Phirkel, I'd be up for being part of it. I'm a C++ programmer, and would love to get to work on something of that sort -- I certainly couldn't take it on myself, which is why I haven't tried.

I think what we do need is an honest sort of working group aimed at just seeing exactly how feasible it is, and what it'd take to do it. At least in that case we wouldn't be beholden to Jim and Darek, and who knows, we could, maybe, figure something out.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Hey, awesome, icedragon!

What kind of programming are you up to?

P.
icedragon
Student Driver

Post by icedragon »

Hello. I certainly haven't been here in a long time.

Anyways, Phirkel, I used to be an engineer for Sonic Foundry, and before that, Sprint, (the telco) so most of my programming is in audio/video, comms, schmaz like that. Most recently came off of an Mpeg-4 project for embedded processors for Hartness International.

Oh heh and some folks here have probably used my VU winamp plugins. I've done C++ on PC (Vis Studio 4, 6, .net) and Mac (CodeWarrior), and plenty of porting on Sun, SGI and Linux. No MFC, tyvm.
Stephen. Coates.

I will help

Post by Stephen. Coates. »

I would like to help with a project like this.

I am NOT a programmer, but i would be interested in designing a GUI and maybe some PC->Mac fileshareing apps.
demon1s
Space Cadet

Post by demon1s »

I would like to help out with somthing. I'm not exactly sure what, but i want to help...

I have next to 0 skill in programming, a bit of basic C++, but i want to learn.

Being involved with PPC emulation project has allways been sort of a dream of mine :) .

If you have some sort of strange need for a 3D graphic, i can help with that, and i could give you strange suggestions that probably wont make any sense... but yeh, it would be awsome if i could be involved some how, i'll think of somthing i could do... dont worry.

I could test stuff... I own lots of diffrent computers and access to even more, so i could run any code on around 10 - 20 computers with lots of diffrent OSs and speeds and processors and see if it all works good and compare and stuff like that....

anyway, my point is, if u need a person to just DO stuff, then i can help :wink:
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

NECROMANCY!
Heh.

Well, anyways, the project died...I'm too busy at work, the code I got (which was just a pre-fab GPL'd PowerPC core with MOL attached to it) is fragmented and slow at best, and it just isn't feasable, I've decided...thanks for the interest though.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

OK then, but if you were still making the PPC emulator, would my designing skills be usefull?
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

We need to get some of these PPC Vendors who make Linux Boxes to make a PCI card with a PPC system on it.

Then we can hack it to run Mac OS. (For legal reasons such solutions are generally stated as being for PPC Linux support on other platforms)
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

I wish I could find somewhere that doesn't want 2000 bucks for an ATX PowerPC motherboard...I'd be willing to pay maybe $300 CAD, but not 2000 bucks. I'd buy one of them (mostly to run Linux, but if MOL works it could be an interesting acquisition).
Andreas Wolf

Post by Andreas Wolf »

> We need to get some of these PPC Vendors who make Linux
> Boxes to make a PCI card with a PPC system on it.

http://www.totalimpact.com/products/tot ... mpower.htm
http://www.mai.com/products/MicroServer.htm , http://www.inguard.com/en/products/ms.html

> I wish I could find somewhere that doesn't want
> 2000 bucks for an ATX PowerPC motherboard...

http://www.ultraspec-canada.com
http://www.ultraspec.com/pegasos.htm

> ...if MOL works...

It does :-)
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Looks nice, but, they don't seem to have them available in Canada yet...and, I am hesitant, just because I get the feeling a Pegasos board will run me $900 I don't have...

But, if you can show me somewhere that sells a G3 with a decent ATX board (preferably, without onboard ethernet or sound) at a reasonable price, lemme know.