Install Mac OS 8

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ihartmacz
Student Driver

Install Mac OS 8

Post by ihartmacz »

:oops: I'm not really new to emulation, but I've been using a Mac OS 8.0 disk image i found on the internet and im tired of cheating! Anyway, Its all like Im buying it from ebay and I was wondering if there was anything I should know? Like is there any options to installing it?

i know basilisk will let me boot from a CD but is the Mac OS CD any differant?

Any good apps for it?
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I suggest buying the 8.1 CD as you won't have to install the 8.1 patch to 8.0 constantly. Plus the OS 8.1 CD can access HFS+ partitions, while the 8.0 can't. Stay away from the iMac-only 8.1 CDs: get a universal install (retail) CD.

The 8.x CD contains a number of extra programs, most of which you can download from Apple, Adobe, MS, Netscape, etc., but there are a few additional programs, control panels and documents you can't find elsewhere.

Booting of the CD is as easy as booting off a floppy, but quicker and without the hassle of transferring *.part.bin files and unstuffing them (or downloading a crappy half-ass OS pre-installed HDF).