vMac for DOS in DOSBOX

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fanman93
Granny Smith

vMac for DOS in DOSBOX

Post by fanman93 »

I've gotten the original vMac for DOS running in DOSBOX, and I have to say I'm impressed with how far along the project has come. The DOS version only allows for disks up to 800KB in size to be accessed, which is due to the accurate emulation used. Of course, the DOS version lacks some functionality, such as switching/adding disks (which could, in theory, be done in the windows version, I haven't tried it myself). I noticed right from the start that it uses a config file, which was new to me. Extremely simple to use, however. They had even introduced screen hacks in the 0.1.9.5 version! That genuinely impressed me.

In terms of apps, I got ClarisWorks 1 to run, though I only have about 30KB left on my disk image for the files. It runs at full speed, and I haven't noticed any lag anywhere in the emulator (except the startup, where it performs a memory check). I highly suggest trying out this ancient software! It's nostalgia all over again.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

I tried FusionPC in Dosbox once, it was pretty slow. Also, I was always a little cautious because of this warning in the readme:
* DO NOT attempt to use pre-made 'bootfiles' or 'filedisks' from
other Macintosh emultions (such as vMac or ShapeShifter). These
will not only not work, but can cause the loss of data on your PC
partitions. If you use these types of files, you assume all risks.
I still don't understand why this would happen...
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

fanman93,

Do share with us some screenshots, please!

You can always email me if that's faster that uploading somewhere: mgoodine@gmail.com
24bit
Forum All-Star

DOS

Post by 24bit »

Hi fanman,
I just set up a WIN98 system for some tests.
Could you provide a link for the old version please?
fanman93
Granny Smith

Alrighty

Post by fanman93 »

ClockWise: Sure thing! I'm compiling a bunch of screenshots right now (for the LisaEm emulator and this one), so it'll only be a little longer.

24bit: Here's the link on the original vMac site:

http://www.leb.net/vmac/download/DOS/vM ... OS-Bin.zip

Amazingly, it's still on that website to this day. I would love to get the OS/2 version up and running, but it requires FixPack 17, which I don't have and can't get, unfortunately.
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

vMac booting up in DOSBOX

Welcome to Macintosh; your screen size is hacked.

System 6.0.5

Opening up ClarisWorks

Selection

It works! At full speed, even!

Slight problem when trying to exit; you can't re-insert disks!

Showing that 4mb of memory was possible

Now this was interesting; I had never seen this before. Mostly because I had never formatted a 1.44MB disk image in Mini vMac, they were always larger.

You have to switch off your PC just like you would a Mac: flip the power switch. No returning to DOS here.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Not that I'm trying to exploit all of you, but if anyone wants to contribute setup notes (or anything) for the wiki regarding these old emulators your work would be very welcome!

Welcome and desired, really!

Edited to add: those screenshots will go into the wiki ASAP!
fanman93
Granny Smith

Post by fanman93 »

I'm willing to write up some notes (especially since this wasn't a very hard setup), though it may take a couple days. I'm getting the Lisa screenshots ready tonight, and could start the notes later on. It might be Sunday before they're done, however.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Much appreciated!
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

I would like to post the instructions for Fusion PC in Dosbox, but I think they be bit convoluted because I took the "warning" in the readme seriously and jumped through hoops.

Does this warning have any validity whatsoever? If not, I can post far simpler instructions.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Warning

Post by 24bit »

I really don't know either, but I used different images without any harmful actions.
Of course that was on my old P3 system and I wouldn'd have cared if I crashed it.
Thanks!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Ambassador,

I asked Jim Watters (he used the old emulators more than anyone) on Delphi about that and he pointed out that sometimes the emulator can cause corruption of the hard disk image. It isn't about damage of anything on the host-system end. So this can be overcome just by doing some backups before you start plugging in your important Basilisk II hfv into FUSION.

And unless I misunderstood him, he seemed to suggest that it was mostly a SOFTMAC concern, not really a problem with FUSION. Maybe the warning was inserted into Fusion when Emulators, Inc. bought it.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I used vMac for DOS a few years ago.

Here are a few screenshots (from 2003):

http://stevecoates.net/emulation/macint ... AC0000.BMP
http://stevecoates.net/emulation/macint ... AC0007.BMP
http://stevecoates.net/emulation/macint ... AC0011.BMP
http://stevecoates.net/emulation/macint ... AC0014.BMP

I can't remember what programme was used to generate the Christmas card.

This was running on a Windows 98se system which had been rebooted into DOS.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

I asked Jim Watters (he used the old emulators more than anyone) on Delphi about that and he pointed out that sometimes the emulator can cause corruption of the hard disk image. It isn't about damage of anything on the host-system end. So this can be overcome just by doing some backups before you start plugging in your important Basilisk II hfv into FUSION.
Thanks for clearing that up! :)
McIntosh
Tinkerer

re: vMac

Post by McIntosh »

Now we've just to get vmac to run in windows!

NOTE TO ALL PPL: vMac does not have a solid refresh rate. Because of DOS using text most of the time, the refresh looks crappy. Also: It runs in the command prompt!(Alt+Enter to exit full screen)