A Description of the Mac emulation in MESS

About Mini vMac and all other 68k emulators, including SoftMac, Executor, and MESS.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

A Description of the Mac emulation in MESS

Post by ClockWise »

Here's a long description of MESS posted over on the 68kmla forum. Very informative:

"MESS has the same goal as MAME, which is to emulate as accurately as possible *the hardware* of a given computer or video game system. This goal is fundamentally incompatible with the philosophy of emulators such as BasiliskII (and to a slightly lesser extent, vMac) which use "hacks" to simplify the emulator or increase performance.

Essentially what the MESS/MAME people do is reverse engineer the behavior of the integrated circuits which make up computer systems and virtually put them together into complete "machines". This makes the MESS/MAME code base a great resource for authors working on their own emulators, since many of the ICs that exist in MAME/MESS are found in machines from multiple manufacturers and MESS/MAME's code might provide better insight in the working of the chips than even the original data sheets might. However, unless a given emulator is similarly built to emulate the "hardware" of a machine rather than the "behavior" it's less easy to import a complete emulator back *into* MESS.

Comparing vMac to the MESS driver is instructive. Essentially vMac emulates a 68k CPU, a hunk of RAM, and just enough hardware stubs to trick the ROM into booting. The ROM itself is patched so it no longer attempts to access the hardware disk controller, and instead transacts all disk I/O through a driver which links directly to a system able to handle virtual disk images of arbitrary sizes. By contrast, MESS's mac.c emulator assembles a complete virtual Macintosh from a library of IC definitions, some of which work more completely then others, and then boots a completely unmodified ROM. Which means that MESS has to emulate the IWM controller well enough to fool the ROM into thinking it's getting data from real 400/800k disks, it has to emulate enough of the NEC SCSI controller to allow the system to believe it has a real hard drive attached, etc, etc.

Anyway, the end result is that MESS burns a lot more CPU than vMac and is clunkier and far less friendly to use. However it *does* emulate a "real Macintosh", not simply a "Macintosh-like environment" which depends on ROM patches. Of course, last I checked MESS still couldn't boot System 7 because of unresolved issues with various individual components, but... someday, perhaps, it will be able to run things that vMac or BasiliskII won't be able to. A/UX on the MacII/SE 30 emulation, for instance. You just can't hold your breath. If there's any one thing true about MESS it's that the "bigger" the machine the longer it takes for reverse engineering to take place. They've pretty much nailed most 8-bit platforms you can think of, but beyond that things tend to be perpetually "in progress". Things "could" be better... after all, MAME is much further along in supporting 16/32 bit game platforms, but that can largely be attributed to greater developer/public interest in arcade vs. computer emulation. A lot more people want to play "Metal Slug" than care about running obscure bare-metal OSes from twenty years ago."

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14242
24bit
Forum All-Star

.hd

Post by 24bit »

Hi ClockWise,
that sounds interesting. Do you know how the .hd files for MESS should be created?
Did you manage to run the LC emulation?

Best wishes!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

24bit,

I haven't done it yet myself (soon), but does this guide help:

http://mamedev.emulab.it/etabeta/?p=155

It has some info about the .hd files I think.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I got permission to use that quote as the basis for a wiki article:

http://emaculation.com/doku.php/mess

Some day I might try to write some setup notes of our own for the wiki.
24bit
Forum All-Star

OK

Post by 24bit »

Pretty discriptive, but I seem to miss the DOS commands like CHDMAN and even MESS, don't know why.
I'll take a look at the downloadable files.
Anyway one needs PATIENCE to run a Mac emulation with MESS.
Best wishes!
gryphel
Nice Guy

Re: A Description of the Mac emulation in MESS

Post by gryphel »

I thought I'd try to clarify how Mini vMac operates, if anyone is interested.
Essentially vMac emulates a 68k CPU, a hunk of RAM, and just enough hardware stubs to trick the ROM into booting.
I believe that is more a reasonable description of how Basilisk II operates. No other hardware is emulated, and the the ROM is patched so as not to try to use the hardware. This gives reasonable compatibility and efficiency. But less than perfect compatibility.

Mini vMac is somewhere in between Basilisk II and MESS. It is true that the floppy disk drive hardware isn't emulated at all, with the ROM patched to replace the driver. But other hardware is emulated, as needed for specific Macintosh software to run. There is fairly detailed emulation of parts of the VIA, and the RTC. There is very limited emulation of the SCC, just enough to emulate it when nothing is attached to the port. The same ought to apply to SCSI, but work needs to be done there.

When software tries something that hasn't been emulated yet, an error message is displayed. This is done, instead of trying to implement everything to start with, not just because of laziness and lack of time. I feel that code that hasn't been tested isn't worth much. So instead of having an emulated program reach code that hasn't been tried before, and just mysteriously misbehave because the emulation isn't quite right, it will indicate what needs to implemented. If after implementing that area, the emulated program still doesn't work, then you know the problem is likely to be in the area you just implemented.

This is less of an issue for the MESS emulator, because it emulates multiple computers. If one emulated computer doesn't use part of the emulated hardware, another emulated computer may. The trade off is that emulating multiple computers is of course far more work.
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

MESS now can boot the Mac IIci in addition to the earlier Mac IIs. This required implementing a lot more of the MMU (notably the translation cache), and the "RBV" on-board video chip is also emulated (I need to add a config option for which monitor is connected - right now it defaults to the 640x480 13" RGB). This gets us into 32-bit clean land and thus wider application compatibility (and hopefully System 7.6, but since it's not available for free that's harder to test).

These changes will land in SVN later today for bleeding-edge types. Otherwise wait for the 0.140 release.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I compiled Mess on OSX, but somehow it refuses to understand my mess.ini file or command line. The rompath looks OK with -showconfig, but Mess says it can't find the files it requires (listing 3 rom/bin files) for ./mess maciix. All files mentioned are taken from http://psy.trapd00r.se/dump/MESS/
What to do?

Best,
Cat_7
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

Put the files in a zip called maciicx.zip and place that in your rom folder (or use -rompath /whereever/that/zip/is).
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks, yes that works! Now how to get an OS into the mac. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Best,
cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Does this help?

http://mamedev.emulab.it/etabeta/?p=155

It is the go-to guide for the Mac part of MESS.
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

When that guide was written, 800k floppies didn't work with the IIcx driver. That's now been fixed, so you don't need to use the Plus driver to install if you don't want to.

You can get blank formatted Mac harddisk images for MESS in several sizes here:

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/0praijrpa

That helps cut out some of the steps.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems the svn repository I downloaded yesterday didn't contain the new maciicx files yet. The current repository doesn't build, due to some error in firefox.c

Compiling src/mame/drivers/firefox.c...
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c: In function ‘void nvram_w(address_space*, offs_t, UINT8)’:
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c:354: error: ‘x2212_write’ was not declared in this scope
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c: In function ‘UINT8 nvram_r(address_space*, offs_t)’:
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c:360: error: ‘x2212_read’ was not declared in this scope
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c: In function ‘void novram_recall_w(address_space*, offs_t, UINT8)’:
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c:365: error: ‘x2212_array_recall’ was not declared in this scope
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c: In function ‘void novram_store_w(address_space*, offs_t, UINT8)’:
src/mame/drivers/firefox.c:371: error: ‘x2212_store’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [obj/sdl/mame/mame/drivers/firefox.o] Error 1

I will try at a later moment.

Best,
Cat_7
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

That error indicates you are trying to build MAME out of the MESS tree, which doesn't typically work. You must "make TARGET=mess" (capitalization matters) to build MESS.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Oops,

I remember making that change in the makefile, but not in the recent outtake from SVN. My bad....
The Maciicx emulation now seems to work. But I can't find a working floppy image. I see a happy mac for a split second and then the rasterops image appear and have an ? mark mac.
I tried with 4 different boot floppy images.

ps: the link to the blank mess HD images doesn't work.

Best,
Cat_7
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

We're working on posting a selection of blank HDDs on the MESS wiki now ( http://mess.redump.net/ ).

Regarding the floppy drive, I've seen some issues as well. One of my top testers indicates that the IIcx with default RAM size works for them, but they get problems in other configurations (see http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthre ... #Post64749 ). When in doubt you might try the "old reliable" Mac Plus driver - you can install a universal System on the Plus and then boot the HDD image on the IIcx and IIci.
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

One thing to check: make sure you're using 800k floppy images. We do not yet support the FDHD/SuperDrive, although due to an oversight it won't actually give you an error if you try, it'll just show the happy Mac briefly and crash or reboot.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

FYI: This conversation will be a bit one-sided for now: Cat_7 is off on holidays for the next four weeks.
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

As a bit of an update, I recently had good luck improving the Apple Sound Chip emulation so e.g. SoundTrecker now plays music flawlessly on MESS's Mac IIcx support, and games generally work well too (although I suck at Crystal Quest). Sound is less happy in the IIci emulation because of the different semantics in the RBV chip, but it's being worked on. vMac should be able to fix their remaining ASC issues looking at how I did it, hopefully.

The IIci emulation now lets you pick which of the 3 supported Apple monitors are connected (12" RGB, 13" RGB, or 15" Portrait Display).

Gryphel wrote me a working Egret/Caboose/Cuda dumper (he's awesome, if nobody's mentioned it lately) and we're now collecting dumps of the various versions of each of those chips (I think there's only one Caboose version). This will enable emulation of the remaining 68030 desktop Macs as well as the 040s and even 601s eventually.
prowler
Tinkerer

Post by prowler »

Arbee wrote:Gryphel wrote me a working Egret/Caboose/Cuda dumper (he's awesome, if nobody's mentioned it lately) and we're now collecting dumps of the various versions of each of those chips (I think there's only one Caboose version). This will enable emulation of the remaining 68030 desktop Macs as well as the 040s and even 601s eventually.
Wow! That's the most encouraging Macintosh emulation news for a long time, IMHO.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

Hey Arbee. This is sort of a random question, but as far as I am aware M.E.S.S. is released under a license that is incompatible with the GPL which is what Mini vMac is currently released under. Will that create problems in regards with sharing code between the two projects?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Indeed that IS some very encouraging news! We're well on our way to a Basilisk II replacement/substitute!
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

Ambassador: The license is GPL incompatible, but the projects have very different coding styles and structures anyway so it's unlikely code would be easy to share. Most contributors (myself included) do dual-license stuff on request - DOSBox is using our 3Dfx emulation, and one of the MSX emulators uses a sound chip emulation I wrote, among other things. And of course there's nothing illegal about my looking at the vMac code or Gryphel looking at mine if no copy/pasting occurs.

Incidentally, the IIcx support is now pretty good for Mac II software needing color/sound (ie, games). It's not perfect, but it's getting there.

Quadra 700 will probably be the next unique model supported (including '040 support and thus OS 8 ), unless I can figure out why the Portable/PB100 hate me. CD-ROM support is also in progress, and SWIM/FDHD looms on the todo list as well.
Ambassador
Apple Corer

Post by Ambassador »

@Arbee: Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Indeed that IS some very encouraging news! We're well on our way to a Basilisk II replacement/substitute!
Would it be reasonable to think that the relationship between M.E.S.S. and Basilisk II will be similar to Bochs and QEMU/VirtualBox/etc.? I.E., an emulator with a greater emphasis on precise hardware emulation?
Arbee
Nice Guy

Post by Arbee »

There's not really a direct PC analogy to the shortcuts Basilisk and SheepShaver take due to the very different software stacks, but if you boil it down to a pure "they're faster than MESS" thing it's on the right track.