SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 06-11-2010 available

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

SheepShaver UB build for Mac OS X 06-11-2010 available

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver UB build 06-11-2010 for MacOSX 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6.
In Snow Leopard it can run in 64-bit mode on 64-bit capable Intel Macs.
Compiled from CVS 06-11-2010.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... 101106.zip

If you have an existing SheepShaver setup, you can simply replace the application with the new application.

If you set up SheepShaver for the first time, follow the instruction in the Setup Guide (link also included in the download):
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup

This build supports self contained SheepShaver virtual machine bundles with extension .sheepvm. The manual does not yet contain information about how to setup and use the virtual machines. You can read about the virtual machines and about the development of the related SheepShaverLauncher in this thread:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5754

After setting up SheepShaver successfully, please also study the remaining chapters of the setup manual. Many support questions in the forum are already answered there:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... heepshaver

When you run SheepShaver in full-screen mode in standard setup, the built-in preferences editor cannot be used. See this section of the setup manual about how you can return to window mode:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... creen_mode

There are a a number of issues with SheepShaver running in 64-bit mode:
- The 'hardware cursor' is not supported, only the 'software cursor' is used. As a result, you will see the MacOS cursor stay at the border of the SheepShaver window when you move the MacOSX cursor outside the window. Make sure you use the setting "Dynamic" for the refresh rate in Audio/Video tab of SheepShaver preferences for smooth movements of the software cursor inside SheepShaver.
- Copying text between the emulated machine and the host system does not work.
- SheepShaver may crash using some applications. (On my system SheepShaver in 64-bit mode will consistently crash when iCab is launched in the emulated machine.)
- After minimizing and again maximizing the SheepShaver window, colors will not be displayed correctly. You can force the MacOS screen to be redrawn by switching color depths in Monitors control panel in MacOS.

If you encounter problems while running SheepShaver in 64-bit mode, set SheepShaver to run in 32-bit mode using the checkbox in Finder Info on SheepShaver.

Improvements in 06 November 2010 build:
- Will not try to run in 64-bit mode in Leopard.

Improvements in 24 October 2010 build:
- Will now run in 64-bit mode in Snow Leopard on 64-bit capable Intel Macs.
- Multiple related 'under the hood' changes.
- Partial support for bin/cue files to enable the use of (images of) mixed
digital/audio cdroms.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
frag
Space Cadet

Post by frag »

I don't have any reason to do this, but for the sake of completeness, I'll report that the "Open using Rosetta" has no effect on my 10.5.8 system.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

When I try to launch SheepShaver with Rosetta in Snow Leopard on my machine, SheepShaver does start but stops before it opens a window and needs to be force quit. Rosetta (optional in Snow Leopard) is installed.

Normally, on a PPC Mac, SheepShaver is already very CPU hungry. Depending on the chosen settings, it can use as much as 70% CPU. When it tries to run with Rosetta on my Intel iMac, it uses almost 100% and then stops reacting.

I can think of no reason why anyone would want to run SheepShaver with Rosetta. Next time I will try to figure out how it can be a UB, that will run on PPC, but not show the Rosetta checkbox in Finder info on Intel.
ptram
Space Cadet

Post by ptram »

I'm sorry to report that SheepShaver crashes during Mac OS's boot. My system is a MacBook Pro Early 2008 with Leopard. The previous build (SheepShaver_UB_20091025) still works fine.

Here are the messages in the console:

26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] SheepShaver V2.3 by Christian Bauer and Mar"c" Hellwig
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] Reading ROM file...
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] Using SDL/coreaudio audio output
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or directory). Ethernet will not be available.
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] Detected CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] PowerPC CPU emulator by Gwenole Beauchesne
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)
26/11/10 16:10:14 [0x0-0x1f81f8].SheepShaver[6728] WARNING: Unknown DiskStatus(6)

Any idea of what could have gone wrong?

I must also report that the new build cannot exit with the Quit command, and one must force quit.

Paolo
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is nothing in these Console log lines about a crash and apparently you needed to force quit SheepShaver. Maybe SheepShaver froze? Was there a system crash in MacOS inside SheepShaver? Can you describe exactly what happens? At which point during startup does that happen?
WARNING: Cannot open /dev/sheep_net (No such file or directory). Ethernet will not be available.
That line is a little odd, that file is related to networking in Linux. I have seen that warning reported only a few times in MacOSX, a couple of times when SheepShaver was launched from Terminal, and not specifically with this build. How did you launch SheepShaver? And what is your network setting (setting for "Ethernet Interface") in SheepShaver preferences?
eastcoastguyz
Space Cadet

This improved sound for game!

Post by eastcoastguyz »

Thanks for providing this new build of SheepShaver. I had been using version 2.3. I mainly use SheepShaver to play the game Mighty Make (formerly known as Power Pete). In the past, the looped music for the game had to be disabled because it would cut in and out so much you couldn't enjoy playing the game with the music sounding like that. After installing this build, it is has very much improved the music playback during the game. I am using SheepShaver on the Mac Pro running OS 10.5 and a Mac Mini running OS 10.6. The 64-bit version of this on the Mac Mini runs even better than it does with 10.5 (32-bit) on the Mac Pro.

The only problem I've found and it's minor is that after the game application has been Quit, to do a shutdown the drop down menu doesn't stick to select shutdown, you have to click and hold on the drop down to select shutdown. When SheepShaver boots up, this isn't a problem though.

Overall, thanks!!!
ptram
Space Cadet

Post by ptram »

Ronald,

Here is what I did.

1. Double click on the SheepShaver app icon.
2. Set the Preferences to choose the Mac OS ROM file and the Classic HD file (the same used with the previous build).
3. Try to quit SheepShaver with the Quit command, then force quit when the command resulted irresponsive.
4. Double click on the SheepShaver app icon to start the app again.
5. The Mac OS 9.0.1 system starts its boot procedure.
6. Before the extensions start to load, SheepShaver exits.
This also happens when booting with the extensions turned off (Shift pressed on the splash screen).

I cannot understand if OS 9 crashed. When booting from the same virtual disk with the older build of SS, there was no report of crash in the previous session.

Setting for "Ethernet Interface") in SheepShaver preferences are left blank. Maybe I should write some parameter there?

As for the other preferences, here they are:

Enable JIT Compiler On
Allow Emulated CPU to Idle On
Ignore Illegal Instructions Off
Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses Off --> FOUND! By turning this On, the new build works (apparently) flawlessly.

Do you see any problem in this behavior?

Paolo
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

ptram wrote:1. Double click on the SheepShaver app icon.
2. Set the Preferences to choose the Mac OS ROM file and the Classic HD file (the same used with the previous build).
3. Try to quit SheepShaver with the Quit command, then force quit when the command resulted irresponsive.
This is normal behavior as described in the setup manual. When SheepShaver runs without system startup, it cannot be quit normally. The preferred way to quit SheepShaver in that situation is with control-escape, which is equivalent to a hard shut down of a real hardware Mac.
4. Double click on the SheepShaver app icon to start the app again.
5. The Mac OS 9.0.1 system starts its boot procedure.
6. Before the extensions start to load, SheepShaver exits.
This also happens when booting with the extensions turned off (Shift pressed on the splash screen).

I cannot understand if OS 9 crashed. When booting from the same virtual disk with the older build of SS, there was no report of crash in the previous session.

Setting for "Ethernet Interface") in SheepShaver preferences are left blank. Maybe I should write some parameter there?
That can explain the warning. You can leave the setting blank if you do not need networking. The usual value is "slirp". See the setup manual.
As for the other preferences, here they are:

Enable JIT Compiler On
Allow Emulated CPU to Idle On
Ignore Illegal Instructions Off
Ignore Illegal Memory Accesses Off --> FOUND! By turning this On, the new build works (apparently) flawlessly.
The setup manual advises to have this setting turned on. A crash during startup with this setting 'off' is a known issue. That crash would normally produce many more lines in Console than you provided in your post. See also "Known issues" in the setup manual.

Maybe you should have a look at the setup manual. There could be more information that you can use.
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup
ptram
Space Cadet

Post by ptram »

Thanks, Ronald. Actually, I had not read the whole setup manual, trusting too much my older preferences.
Paolo
SpaceJunkie
Space Cadet

Post by SpaceJunkie »

Not like it matters much, but after downloading this latest build of SheepShaver for Mac OS X, my favorite Shareware game from when I was a kid back in the 90's, Barrack, finally works on my setup for the first time without the problem I used to have of sprites freezing up after awhile, and eventually the game becoming unplayable. Yay!
gesner2
Space Cadet

Preferences don't hold after a force quit

Post by gesner2 »

I am trying to install this build on OS 10.6.6 on a 64 bit iMac. I set all the preferences as in the set-up manual.

I force quit SheepShaver and then mount a 8.5 installation disk. When I restart SheepShaver it mounts the installation disk but there is no icon for the virtual harddisk on the desktop and no initialization can occur.

Checking the preferences in the application menu I find that they haven't held from the earlier force quit.

I have used "Delete Prefs File" script several times and set up new preferences with a virtual HD but on any restart of SheepShaver after a control-esc they don't hold.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you click "Save" in preferences to save the settings?
gesner2
Space Cadet

Post by gesner2 »

Thanks for answering.

Yes each time that I have tried, I hit Save after I set up the preferences. Sometimes when it starts up from the installation disk there is a "Unix" icon. but no icon for the virtual HD. If I try to click on the "Unix" icon it doesn't take to the Shared folder but shows me all the directories for my Home.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange. Apparently, the prefs do not get saved. Maybe there isn't even a prefs file saved and does SheepShaver only use its defaults without prefs file.

But the default for the shared folder is "/" which would use the entire hard disk as shared folder, not just your Home folder.

Is there anything special (non-standard) about you MacOSX setup, or about your user account, or about file locations?

You can try if a prefs file is saved at different stages, for instance after hitting Save and before quitting SheepShaver and then again after quitting SheepShaver.

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type:

Code: Select all

open .sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return (and do not forget the leading space in the file name).

If present, the prefs file should open in TextEdit and you can view its contents.
gesner2
Space Cadet

Post by gesner2 »

Oh, I'm sorry you were right, it was using as the default for the shared folder, my entire hard disk not my Home folder.

I used Terminal as you instructed and it can not find a preference file.

I also tried moving the SheepShaver folder from my hard drive to the desktop and then to my home folder, each time setting up the preferences and saving them. Each time I could not find the preference files with Terminal.

When I removed the SheepShaver folder from my Home to the trash I needed my password. A program that I have MacKeeper notified me that their were additional files that had to be also deleted. This is the path to one of them:

/Users/milewski/Library/Preferences/com.yourcompany.SheepShaverPrefs.plist

the other file was the stand alone SheepSaverPrefs application. I had tried the stand alone application when I couldn't get SheepShaver to save my preferences. I trashed these since I had decided to try from scratch with a new unzipped SheepShaver folder.

Thanks again for your help.
gesner2
Space Cadet

Post by gesner2 »

Well, I tried to set up the prefernces for fresh SheepShaver and saved them The preference file doesn't show up in Terminal. :?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

It seems there is something wrong when sheepshaver tries to save your prefs. It should do in your home folder. Perhaps there is an permissions issue, so SheepShaver can't write to the folder? Or is your home folder on a network drive?

You could try to repair permissions with disk utility to see if that helps.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

gesner2 wrote:When I removed the SheepShaver folder from my Home to the trash I needed my password.
Yet another indication that there is a permissions problem. When you (your account) owns the SheepShaver folder, you do not need a password to move it to the trash.

Do you work in a normal administrator account? And did you download, unpack, and move or copy the SheepShaver folder while in that same account?
gesner2
Space Cadet

Post by gesner2 »

Thanks again.

I do have an admin account on my computer.

I now see that a new "guest" account appeared when I was trying to install SheepShaver. ':?'

I used disk utility to try and repair permissions but a re-run show that it didn't repair the permissions.

When I recently migrated all my files from my old computer to this new one it resulted in two admin accounts with the same name. I changed those so they have two different passwords. I'll see about trying to delete one of those accounts and go from there.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This sounds like a serious problem that will eventually not only affect SheepShaver. Did you create a new account on the new machine first and then migrate the account with the same name from the old machine?

Maybe you should start over again with the new machine wiped clean and restored to its factory state and then migrate from your old computer using the setup assistant during first run of the system on the new machine.
gesner2
Space Cadet

Post by gesner2 »

I deleted one of the accounts that had the same name. Repaired all the permissions.

Now Sheepshaver saved my preferences and I was able to install from a 8.5 disk.

I'm up and running 8.5 on Sheepshaver and was able to run an old program Selection 2.0 which runs simulations of the Hardy-Weinberg law. There is no modern version of this software so it's great to be able run it again for my class as a demo.

Thanks a lot for all your help. :mrgreen:
harlock59
Space Cadet

Post by harlock59 »

Hello,

i've downloaded sheepshaver UB 2010-11-06 on my leopard powerpc.

the app crashed at startup so i downloaded the pref.app file and i checked the box ignore illegal memory accesses but i've let the sheepshavepref.app in the same folder as the app sheepshaver itself.

i've also dragged and dropped the rom file on the field for the mac os rom file and i've created a new disk of 40 mb. it still crashes.

i don't know what to do now.

maybe i should put the pref.app in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.

please can you help me ?

thank you.

ps: when i do open .sheepshaver_prefs in the terminal i get the text file with my settings from the prefs.app program
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Apparently you have been doing something wrong. I suppose the ROM file is not found. Maybe the path to the file is not correctly entered or the ROM file is not compatible with SheepShaver.

- The prefs application must be in the same folder as the SheepShaver application.
- Which ROM file do you use?
- A 40MB disk is too small for a MacOS installation plus applications and personal files. A 500MB disk (or even larger) would be more appropriate.

Please post here the content of your prefs file:

In Terminal type

Code: Select all

open .sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return

The prefs file will open in TextEdit, copy all content and paste it here.
macdro
Tinkerer

Post by macdro »

Here is a note for users of SS on OSX who have an external drive from brands that use a VCD file for protection software, such as Western Digital.

You cannot 'eject' the VCD if you want to be able to use the drive, so the VCD file is constantly on your OSX desktop. Sheepshaver will detect this VCD as a disk, warn that it is unreadable and will offer to eject or initialize it. For the longest time I had no idea what was causing this within Sheepshaver, as I had not listed anything other than the disks already in use by SS and there were no anomalies in my prefs file.

So today when running SS in a window and routinely ejecting this mystery disk, I saw on my desktop the VCD momentarily disappear, then reappear.

I do not know a workaround that allows you to still use a WD drive on the host and not have this annoyance in SS. I am just posting this warning here so that people know what is causing this to occur on their system. (Obviously you should not initialize the VCD as a volume in your SS OS! as I imagine this will delete necessary files for the drive to be used).

This does not occur with any external drives that don't use a VCD file, eg. Lacie.

This is somewhat obscure and not high in terms of priority for SS documentation, but I thought I should still mention it.

cheers
macdro
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That behavior is known to happen with other external disks also. Usually it is caused by an entry in the .sheepshaver_prefs file that makes that particular disk mount in SheepShaver, an entry that is not reflected in settings in SheepShaver preferences. Editing the prefs file in a text editor and removing that line will usually solve the problem.

When you are not sure wether you recognize that line (if it exists), you can paste the content of the prefs file here.

(Entering open .sheepshaver_prefs in Terminal will open the file in TextEdit.)