I am going to have ADSL next week.

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I was quite happy with my V90/V92 modems for decades.
The costs for Internet connections were almost nothing and the providers were reliable. For really big files, I went to my favorite Internet Cafe.

Over the years almost every site (except Emaculation) became crowded with pictures, tons of gadgets, little videos or other bullshit.
Even my banking server didn't hesitate to offer little tutorials how to use it, or tickets for fund raising events. The tutorials are especially useful,
if you are already logged in and you have been using online banking for years.
I wish the IT people these days would keep in mind, that you still can maintain simple and fast html sites, that give you all information you want.
In consequence of that increased net traffic, I was merely sitting and waiting or watching my connection terminating by timeout.

OK, I got the message: I am probably the last guy using V92.
So I agreed to have a DSL flatrate, that will cost me about $15 a month more than my usual telephone bill.
Due to my kind of "country" location I can only have 3072 kbit/s downstream and 384 kbit/s upstream, will have to pay for DSL6000 though.
Still this seems to be the best deal I can get at my location.

What kind of internet connection are you using?
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I have ADSL here. I only got in 2005 though.
I was quite happy with V90, except it was too slow sometimes, particularly with big files.

I do tend to download a lot of files which are in excess of 1MB so the DSL is useful for that. It only costs £6 per month as well, with a 10GB limit, and a speed of 2Mbps. For me, an unmetered dialup connection would cost about £15/month.

ADSL has become really cheap here, since they introduced caps on the data transfer and scrapped guaranteed speeds. At one time you would have paid something like £25 for a 512kbps connection, £30 for a 1Mbps or £40 for a 2Mbps connection. Now, you just get whatever speed your line can support up to 8Mbps (due to us now having MaxDSL), with a lot of packages having a variety of caps.

Of course, because the technology supports up to 8Mbps, that is how it is advertised. Consequently, because very few people in the country actually get 8Mbps, they all complain about false advertising.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I'm running on ADSL 12Mbit downstream/1Mbit upstream on the dutch universities network backbone. It costs 27 Euro's a month, but with mail routing to a local server (if you want), 8 static IP addresses, running your own internet servers, no data restrictions etc. Very trouble-free, almost no downtime at all.

EDIT: I now regret that I mentioned the trouble-free part. I was cut off the internet for more than 1 1/2 hours last Friday morning while delivering an online lesson from home through our Universities virtual classroom solution.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jens
Student Driver

Post by jens »

ADSL about the same specs as 24bit although located in a not so small city...
Until March I only had 1 Mbit ADSL which equalled about the performance of the Ethernec networking solution for my beloved Atari Falcon. :mrgreen:
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

My Chinese internet is slow. Real slow. And heavily censored.

I went from enjoying the wonderful Korean internet (fast, and only slightly censored) to THIS.
mathieudel
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mathieudel »

I'm using a 24Mbit down/1Mbit up ADLS connection here in France. Unfortunately I'm quite far from my DSL so I really only have 10Mbit down/1Mbit up
It costs me 30€/month but I have unlimited phone calls included and exra TV channels (of which I don't care) aswell (what is known as TriplePlay option here).
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

I signed up for 3072 Kb/down & 384 Kb/up, but my DSL provider had to throttle-down my download speeds due to the piss-poor quality of my wiring at home (line noise). So nowadays, I top out at roughly 190-210 KB/s download speeds instead of the +290 KB/s speeds I had during the first two weeks when I first got this service a while back.
24bit
Forum All-Star

very interesting!

Post by 24bit »

Quite a variety of data rates, hm?
Depending on the time of the day, my download manager tells me I am getting 200 to 400 kB/s.
This seems to be as much I can get out of my wiring.
I didn't seriously try to upload anything up to now.

Bye!

@kikkoman:
Is it your own property, you are living in?
You might easily improve you wiring with new CAT5 patch cables.
Those aren't very expensive and will need only small holes to drill.
I moved my splitter upstairs with one of those.
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Re: very interesting!

Post by kikkoman »

It's not really a matter of my CAT5e Ethernet cables, since those are all brand new. It's just the quality of the phone line itself. My house was built in the early 1940's, so I already know it won't get any better than what I'm already getting unless I tear up my house and upgrade the wiring throughout... or spend quite a bit for a contractor to do it for me. And what would I get? If i think about it, that's almost a $400-800 job on my house to get a gain of 1.3mb in download speed. nah.... not worth it, really.
24bit wrote: @kikkoman:
Is it your own property, you are living in?
You might easily improve you wiring with new CAT5 patch cables.
Those aren't very expensive and will need only small holes to drill.
I moved my splitter upstairs with one of those.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I see you point. I didn´t make clear I was talking about your phone wires actually.
If you have access to your phone company's interface in your house,
you might pull in some CAT5 cables from there to your splitter/router, but you will know best,
if its worth the effort.

Greetings!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

In 1998 I had my first fast internet connection with the Amsterdam municipal cable company (A2000) with a theoretical maximum of 10Mbit download speed. I do not remember the actual speed I got, but I last used a 28.8k dial-up modem and I remember the experience being sensational.

Later, Amsterdam sold the cable to a commercial company (UPC) and the connection became increasingly unreliable and the customer service absolutely horrid.

So, when I moved nine years ago, I decided to switch to ADSL. The telephone infrastructure here allowed, and still allows, real speeds of 'only' 12Mbit down and 1Mbit up. And that is what I get consistently. In the past nine years the price has gone down from initially 80 Euro a month to now 40 Euro a month. That includes ISP service, mailboxes, web space, etc.

To get the most out of it I use a twisted pair cable instead of ordinary telephone wiring to bridge the long distance to the splitter/router.