System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Scientist
Space Cadet

System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized

Post by Scientist »

My university research lab has an old liquid chromatography controller that ran on a Power PC. In a recent move, the computer was lost. I'm trying to get it up and running by emulating the Mac using Basilisk in Windows XP. I've followed the instructions "Setting up Basilisk II for Windows". Everything went fine until installing System 7.5.3. The file "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi" does not seem to be recognized. It does not display the icon described in the setup instructions. It's displayed like all of the other 18 System 7.5.3 installation files. When I double-click the first of the 19 files, I receive the message "The document ._System 7.5.3 01of19.smi could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found."

I've tried some of the fixes described in the various threads, but no luck. I even tried the same installation on another Windows XP computer. No luck.

Can someone help me get past this step? Thanks - -
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi, and welcome.

This would normally happen when you transfer the disk images to the emulated mac incorrectly. Have you been able to follow the guide to the letter? http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
More specifically, were you able to use HFV-Explorer to copy the 19 parts to the install disk image you created with that program? (as depicted in pictures 1 through 3). Did you wait long enough for all files to be copied? There is no feedback on the copy process. (please check the content of the install.hfv file in HFV explorer).
Are you using the system boot disk image linked to in the guide? And what rom file are you using? The one you found in the Basilisk download from our site should work: http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 1_2010.zip

Can you please explain how the chromatograph was connected to the mac? Serial/parallel port or networked connections might prove a problem with BasiliskII or SheepShaver.

Best,
Cat_7
Scientist
Space Cadet

Installation of Basilisk II in Windows XP

Post by Scientist »

Hi and THANKS! After hours of trying to solve it, the problem turned out to be that I downloaded the 19 files on a Macintosh computer. Somehow, the bin format is lost and it corrupts the System 7.5.3 installation files. I downloaded the files again on a computer running Windows 7 and it worked. System 7.5.3 is now installed.

The original application chromatography controller application program communicated with external chromatography pumps through a serial port connection. That's my next step, to see if the emulated controller application program will actually drive the external equipment properly. Will it not work? The original Apple desktop computer it was running on dates back to around 1997. Thank you for your suggestions.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I assume you do know there are differences between the serial ports on mac and PC? There are (were?) adapters available to convert between rs422 and rs232. You can also solder your own...Or perhaps your controller was PC ready?
I will fire up my windows machine to see if you can address the serial port directly through BasiliskII. Perhaps the older real windows build (build 142) can also help. http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/downloads/Bas ... 8_2008.zip It uses it's own GUI and has a different preferences file.

Edit: it seems you can address a modem through the serial port, so there is at least some communication with the actual port hardware.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installation of Basilisk II in Windows XP

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Scientist wrote:I downloaded the 19 files on a Macintosh computer. Somehow, the bin format is lost and it corrupts the System 7.5.3 installation files.
Just to clarify what probably happened:

When you download files with Safari while in Safari preferences (General tab) the option 'Open "safe" files after downloading' is checked, archives and encoded files will automatically be unpacked and decoded. The 19 .bin files were decoded into the one .smi file and 18 .part files. Those files will survive on a Mac, also still in MacOSX on the newest Macs, but will loose their specific Mac properties in Windows outside a HFS file system and thus become unusable.
Scientist
Space Cadet

Problem reading a diskette

Post by Scientist »

Thank you both for your help and advice. Following the instructions, I have System 7.5.5 running in Basilisk II (on a Windows XP PC), but I now have a new challenge to overcome. The application program is not recognized. I am already aware from reading the relevant posts that a PC will not read a Macintosh diskette (1.4 MB version). I tried to read it with HFS explorer, but it considers the diskette on the A drive to be empty. I then downloaded several programs designed to read Macintosh diskettes on a PC (MacDisk, Gemulator, TransMac). None of them will read the diskette. One of them (MacDisk, I recall) has a button labelled "NTFS/SFM" which, when pressed, finally shows the program installation file. However, I don't know how to mount it in the emulated System 7.5.5 environment. The diskette is meant to operate on System 7 Macintosh and is dated from 1997. Is this program installation file in an incompatible format? Is it a lost cause?

As an aside, I was not aware that the serial connection was different. Thank you.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

You can try to make an image of the floppy disk. HFV explorer should allow you to do that, it reads mac floppies. But if it doesn't read your disk, then perhaps something is wrong with it, specially since you report it shows the content after setting NTFS which is a normal Windows file system format.
A program like DD (look for the windows version) can make floppy disk images. You can then use that image in the same way you use the boot floppy image during install of Mac OS. Place the image a second entry in the volumes list in the GUI.

The old Basilisk 142 version (the one from August 2008) can read floppies. It is a different Basilisk altogether, so please be aware of that when you go that way.

Best,
Cat_7
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Hello,
for me too, HFV Explorer was the best utility for reading Mac volumes with my XP machine.
Could it be, your HPLC disk was a DOS formatted one with a Mac HFS file system on it?
Do you have an opportunity to read your disk in an old PPC Mac?
Some of us in the forum are still keeping their oldies.
I have some floppies from early '90 all being readable.

I know I had a serial cable for connecting a PC modem to my mac.
But a haven't seen it for a long time. If I should find it I can give it to you as a present.

Good luck!
CoplAUXX
Student Driver

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi file not recognized

Post by CoplAUXX »

When you are not using the HFS disk image that contains the 19 parts of the System 7.5.3 installation disk in another application (eg. Basilisk II), open it with HFVExplorer, right-click on the "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi" file, and right-click on "Properties". Look at the "File" section. If the "Resource size" is not 219707, that significantly means that either you did not correctly copy the file to the HFS disk image or the file is corrupted. Otherwise, if the "Type" is not "APPL", change the "Type" to "APPL", then quit HFVExplorer, open Basilisk II, and try to open "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi" in the emulated Macintosh again.
diefldrmas
Space Cadet

Post by diefldrmas »

Okay I am trying to set this up on a PPC mac pro I went through the step by step I have the emulator running on the disk repair disk I have the utility drive and the unix drive. I downloaded the 7.5.3 images over with safari from the apple website http://www.info.apple.com/support/older ... elist.html

All 19 files came across with the part.bin extensions. I removed the .bin from the first file to get the smi file which gave me the correct icon. I initially left the files in the bin format and I received a message that the application could not open parts 2,3,4, all the way to 19. I them removed the bin leaving only the .part extention and I still have had no luck same error. The files look the correct size, the smi application fires up what am I missing?
diefldrmas
Space Cadet

Post by diefldrmas »

Solved. I had to unpack the SMI file and launch it that way. It did a complete install without issue.
Leyvin
Space Cadet

Post by Leyvin »

I'm having an issue with the .smi file part of the system update.
There has been no issues getting it recognised as a .smi, it also will start.

However during verification it says:

Unable to execute "System 7.5.3 01of19.smi".
The checksum is invalid expected $00570684, calculated $026845FD).

I have checked in HFV Explorer the file details against what someone posted above, and they are all identical to what should be expected. The created and modified date are the same.

Now I thought it may have been Explorer that corrupted the file, but the versions I've downloaded via Chrome, Firefox and Safari all have the exact same error. I downloaded the file from the apple website link provided.

I've scanned them for virii but didn't find anything, mind with the size being what is expected that wasn't a massive surprised... also tried both the default Basilisk 2 install runtime and the 30_08_2010 runtime with identical results.

At this point I'm starting to assume that HFV Explorer may be doing something to the headers when it converts them; so while still compatible and capable of running is causing this checksum difference.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.
I'm also having some issues with Sound on Pathways into Darkness; cheifly regardless of using 1 Channel or 3 Channels, it says that sound is currently being used by another application and disables it... this is in-part why I'm trying to get this update to work cause I'm assuming it has Sound Manager 3.0+ as part of it.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Leyvin wrote:I have checked in HFV Explorer the file details against what someone posted above, and they are all identical to what should be expected.
Are you referring to this?
CoplAUXX wrote:If the "Resource size" is not 219707, that significantly means that either you did not correctly copy the file to the HFS disk image or the file is corrupted.
The other parameter (the data fork size) also has to be correct, but at the moment I'm not sure what it should be. Since you've downloaded the file in three different browsers, I'm thinking you just didn't wait long enough for HFV Explorer to copy the file. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of what you get for the Properties dialog in HFV Explorer?

EDIT: Here's what I get.
Leyvin
Space Cadet

Post by Leyvin »

That's what I'm getting, doesn't seem to make any difference if I close out immediately or wait a bit.

What has me a little confused about it is while 7.5.3 won't work cause of the checksum issue, 7.5.5 will run just fine but won't install because 7.5.3 isn't there first... also have a few other programs I've downloaded in .dsk format that seem to copy across and work just fine.

Simply this update that seems to be a little iffy.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The checksum refers to the complete volume as created from all 19 files. Did you consider the possibility that the problem is not with the .smi file but with one of the 18 .part files?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I sent Leyvin a PM.

Best,
Cat_7
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi checksum issue

Post by ersmiller »

Was there ever a solution to Leyvin's issue? I'm getting the same thing.
http://s17.postimage.org/pmdszzg33/Bad_ ... pdater.png

I've tried re-downloading all the files multiple times, and re-copying them to my virtual HD through HFVExplorer. I get the same error every time, though the checksum changes each time.

I am running Windows 8 64-bit, and I followed these instructions: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
As far as I can figure, I did everything correctly.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: System 7.5.3 01of19.smi checksum issue

Post by Jorpho »

ersmiller wrote:http://s17.postimage.org/pmdszzg33/Bad_ ... pdater.png
This is not a valid link.
I've tried re-downloading all the files multiple times
There's an easy way to check if the downloads are okay, at least. Here's a list of MD5 checksums:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35903326/sys753.md5

If you've never used an .md5 file before, what you do is:
-Download that .md5 file
-Download WinMD5 from http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WinMD5/
-Run WinMD5, and drag-and-drop the .md5 file on the WinMD5 window
-Drag-and-drop the 19 files you downloaded from Apple onto the WinMD5 window, and see if WinMD5 says they are all OK.
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

The forum software truncated my image link. Lets try that again:
http://s17.postimage.org/pmdszzg33/Bad_ ... pdater.png

According to WinMD5 and your MD5 file, all 19 files are "Good".
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

I was using the system 7 boot disk provided here: http://emaculation.com/doku.php/basilisk_ii_setup
and a 200MB virtual HDD I created using HFVExplorer. My vHDD contained nothing but the 19 system7.5.3 install files in a folder.

I will try the system 8 boot disk. I was hoping to remain with system 7 as that is what I remember using before I switched to PC. I have a lot of good memories of system 7.
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

The system 8 boot disk didn't work. Here's the new error I get with that:

I'm using a Performa BIOS ROM
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That error occurs when you don't change the system model ID to support system 8. This is done in the GUI or directly in the prefs file. But it doesn't matter. I just downloaded all installer parts from Apple (with Firefox) and copied them to a new disk image I created with HFV explorer. After starting BasiliskII from the system 7 disk image, I could successfully open the volume and start the first part. It validated correctly and the CD installation icon appeared on the desktop.

So, the method described in the guide still works, also for Windows 8/64 bit. There must be an error in your transfer from the Windows disk to the volume you created for the parts.
When you copy the parts from your Windows disk to the volume, HFV explorer asks you which copy mode to use. These should be set to:

Automatic, let the program deceide
Check for AppleDouble is ticked
OK to all

After copying has finished, when you go to the volume containing the parts, does the first part show its special icon with diskette symbol? It should.

Best,
cat_7
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

Automatic, let the program decide
Check for AppleDouble is ticked
OK to all

Those are the settings I used as well. I just tried it again (going back to the sys7 boot disk). I deleted everything on my vHD and re-copied over the folder containing the 19 7.5.3 files.
The smi file (01 of 19) DOES have the disk icon file, while the rest have the generic paper icon.

I also just tried creating another virtual HD and putting the files onto that. But I get the same error.
ersmiller
Space Cadet

Post by ersmiller »

Since this issue is just extracting the multi-part compressed file. Is there any place I can get the already extracted file to place on my VHD? Or a program I can use on Windows to extract it myself?
Knight
Student Driver

Post by Knight »

For me, the Basilisk II 142 guide worked.

When I doubleclicked System 7.53 01of19.smi, I got a dialog box which I pressed agree on.

Then I got a floppy disk on my desktop. I doubleclicked on Sys7.5 V7.5.3 CD Inst.

I put the files on my desktop. Then I compressed the file using the Magic Menu from StuffIt Deluxe 5.5.

Then I uploaded System 7.53 to my SkyDrive.

The download link is: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=7349e61a ... 66B274!304

Just click on System 7.5.3.sit.

You need StuffIt Expander.

Get it here: http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/stu ... der_55.bin

Then follow this advice: If you use HFV Explorer to transfer that file to your disk image, you can solve the problem of expanding the archive of Stuffit in the first place.

Then just start Basilisk and double click on Aladdin Expander ™ 5.5 Installer and then install it.

Then you can double click on System 7.5.3.sit to expand.

I hope you do read this. I wanted to help.